Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Cruelty to Crustaceans! Science calls for new laws...

I supposed this would open the door for PETA protesters to begin throwing boiling water instead of chicken blood:

Boiling Mad: Crabs Feel Pain

Robert Roy Britt
    Editorial Director
    LiveScience.com robert Roy Britt
    editorial Director
    livescience.com 43 mins ago
    A favored method of preparing fresh crabs is to simply boil them alive. A longstanding related question: Do they feel pain?

Yes, researchers now say. Not only do crabs suffer pain, a new study found, but they retain a memory of it (assuming they aren't already dead on your dinner plate). The scientists say its time for new laws to consider the suffering of all crustaceans.

The study involved using wires to deliver shocks to the bellies of hermit crabs, which, being hermits, often take up residence in left-behind mollusc shells. The crabs that were shocked scampered out of their shells, "indicating that the experience is unpleasant for them," the scientists concluded; unshocked crabs stayed put.

Another test was run to see what would happen if a mild shock was delivered, one just below the threshold that would cause the crabs to leave home. These mildly shocked crabs, along with crabs that had not been shocked, were then offered a new home. The typical reaction: They'd go inspect the new shell. Significantly, those that had been shocked were more likely to pack up and move to the new residence compared to those that hadn't been shocked.

"There has been a long debate about whether crustaceans including crabs, prawns and lobsters feel pain," said study researcher Bob Elwood of Queen's University Belfast in the UK.

"We know from previous research that they can detect harmful stimuli and withdraw from the source of the stimuli but that could be a simple reflex without the inner 'feeling' of unpleasantness that we associate with pain," Elwood explained. "This research demonstrates that it is not a simple reflex but that crabs trade-off their need for a quality shell with the need to avoid the harmful stimulus."

The findings are detailed in the journal Animal Behaviour.

Interestingly, scientist don't fully understand pain in humans. It is felt when electrical signals are sent from nerve endings to your brain, which in turn can release painkillers called endorphins and generate physical and emotional reactions. The details remain unclear, which his why so many people suffer chronic pain with no relief.

At any rate, Elwood compared the results of the crab study to how you might react to a painful experience.

"Humans, for example, may hold on to a hot plate that contains food whereas they may drop an empty plate, showing that we take into account differing motivational requirements when responding to pain," he said. "Trade-offs of this type have not been previously demonstrated in crustaceans. The results are consistent with the idea of pain being experienced by these animals."

A Norwegian study in 2005 concluded lobsters react to boiling water or other pain stimuli, but that they don't have the emotional capacity to experience it as pain in the way higher animals do.

But a study by Elwood and colleagues in 2007 found prawns were irritated when their antennae were treated with acetic acid, and after a local anesthetic, they'd stop rubbing the antennae. He said this was evidence that they suffer pain, and that lobsters likely feel pain, too.

Elwood thinks its time for some crustacean empathy.

"Millions of crustacean are caught or reared in aquaculture for the food industry," he said. "There is no protection for these animals (with the possible exception of certain states in Australia) as the presumption is that they cannot experience pain. With vertebrates we are asked to err on the side of caution and I believe this is the approach to take with these crustaceans."

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

So, I will feel bad for about 10 seconds.... right before I eat them!!
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post

So, I will feel bad for about 10 seconds.... right before I eat them!!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'd like to form a support group for people who suffer with these problems. I'll kick it off...

"Hi, my name is Countybear, and I have boiled lobsters and crawfish alive before..."

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Support group?? Heck yea!! I'm in!!

My name is Cidp24 and I also support boiling and eating crustaceans!!
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    I'd like to form a support group for people who suffer with these problems. I'll kick it off...

"Hi, my name is Countybear, and I have boiled lobsters and crawfish alive before..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Support group?? Heck yea!! I'm in!!

My name is Cidp24 and I also support boiling and eating crustaceans!!
    My name is Captain America and I too have committed this heinous crime against crawfish and other seafood , most recently last Sunday with delicious results.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Tell it all, brothers... tell it all! *sniff*

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    So, do they propose giving them lethal injections before cooking????

I'm staunchly against cruelty to animals and of course, they feel pain. But for crying out loud, how do you kill anything without a moment of it? I seriously doubt they have much time to think, "Oh shit, this water's hotter'n hell!" before they die.....

Some people don't have enough to worry about.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My name is pgg and I have eaten lobster and crab. Sniff sniff CountyBear can you pass the butter

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    My name is pgg and I have eaten lobster and crab. Sniff sniff CountyBear can you pass the butter
    And the garlic, please.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I find the scientists Tasering the animals to be far more sadistic than any chef. Don't they know how cruel Tasers are? They can kill!

I don't even like crab but I'm thinking about boiling some alive for dinner just to spite these idiots.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I don't even like crab but I'm thinking about boiling some alive for dinner just to spite these idiots.
    1. How can you not like crab!?!?!?!?
    2. I'll eat the crab you boil.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    1. I don't know. I want to like crab. I keep eating it hoping I'll like it. I just don't like it though.

2. Is that so? Hmmmmm....

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    1. I don't know. I want to like crab. I keep eating it hoping I'll like it. I just don't like it though.

2. Is that so? Hmmmmm....
    1. You're strange. If you don't like it, stop eating it.

2. Yes. I *heart* crab.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

If she won't take it I will
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    1. You're strange. If you don't like it, stop eating it.
    But it looks so delicious. And I love butter. And I love garlic. You'd think I love crab. But every time I try it, I can't stand it.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

2. Yes. I *heart* crab.

+ elebenty hundred! Love me some crab.

Verified LEO
    But it looks so delicious. And I love butter. And I love garlic. You'd think I love crab. But every time I try it, I can't stand it.
    That's because it IS so delicious. What about it do you not like? Taste? Consistency?
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    If she won't take it I will
    Let's see, should I give it to you or the chick with the seat belt bewbie?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information