Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO

Maclean! Are you guys gonna be smugglers too?!?

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - The quest for squeaky-clean dishes has turned some law-abiding people in Spokane into dishwater-detergent smugglers. They are bringing Cascade or Electrasol in from out of state because the eco-friendly varieties required under Washington state law don't work as well. Spokane County became the launch pad last July for the nation's strictest ban on dishwasher detergent made with phosphates, a measure aimed at reducing water pollution. The ban will be expanded statewide in July 2010, the same time similar laws take effect in several other states.
    But it's not easy to get sparkling dishes when you go green.
    Many people were shocked to find that products like Seventh Generation, Ecover and Trader Joe's left their dishes encrusted with food, smeared with grease and too gross to use without rewashing them by hand. The culprit was hard water, which is mineral-rich and resistant to soap.
    As a result, there has been a quiet rush of Spokane-area shoppers heading east on Interstate 90 into Idaho in search of old-school suds.
    Real estate agent Patti Marcotte of Spokane stocks up on detergent at a Costco in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, and doesn't care who knows it.
    "Yes, I am a smuggler," she said. "I'm taking my chances because dirty dishes I cannot live with."
    (In truth, the ban applies to the sale of phosphate detergent - not its use or possession - so Marcotte is not in any legal trouble.)
    Marcotte said she tried every green brand in her dishwasher and found none would remove grease and pieces of food. Everybody she knows buys dishwasher detergent in Idaho, she said.
    Supporters of the ban acknowledge it is not very popular.
    "I'm not hearing a lot of positive feedback," conceded Shannon Brattebo of the Washington Lake Protection Association, a prime mover of the ban. "I think people are driving to Idaho."
    Steve Marcy, manager of the Costco in Coeur d'Alene, about 10 miles east of the Washington state line, estimated that sales of dishwasher detergent in his store have increased 10 percent. He knows where the customers are coming from.
    "I'll joke with them and ask if they are from Spokane," Marcy said. "They say, 'Oh yeah.'"
    Shoppers can still buy phosphate detergents in Washington state by venturing outside Spokane County, but Idaho is more convenient to many Spokane residents.
    Phosphates - the main cleaning agent in many detergents and household cleaners - break down grease and remove stains. However, the chemicals are difficult to remove in wastewater treatment plants and often wind up in rivers and lakes, where they promote the growth of algae. And algae gobble up oxygen in the water that fish need to survive.
    While traditional detergents are up to 9 percent phosphate, those sold in Spokane County can contain no more than 0.5 percent.
    The Washington Lake Protection Association has launched a campaign to encourage people to give the environmentally friendly brands a fair chance. The group suggests consumers experiment with different brands or install water softeners to help the green detergents work better.
    "Clean lakes and clean dishes do not have to be mutually exclusive," said association president-elect Jacob McCann.
    Phosphates have been banned in laundry detergent nationally since 1993. Washington was the first state where the Legislature passed a similar ban against dishwasher detergents, in 2006. The ban is being phased in, starting with Spokane County.
    "It's nice to be on the cutting edge," Spokane resident Ken Beck, an opponent of the ban, said sarcastically.
    Among other states that have banned or are banning phosphates in dishwasher detergent are Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Michigan, Vermont, Minnesota, Illinois, Massachusetts and New York. A bill on Capitol Hill would impose a nationwide ban.
    The Soap and Detergent Association, which represents manufacturers, initially fought the bans. But as the movement gained strength across the country, the association asked legislatures to delay bans until July 2010 to allow for a uniform rollout of products.
    The industry has been working to develop better low-phosphate detergents, said Dennis Griesing, vice president of the manufacturers group.
    "This is an irrevocable, nationwide commitment on the industry's part," he said.
    For his part, Beck has taken to washing his dishes on his machine's pots-and-pans cycle, which takes longer and uses five gallons more water. Beck wonders if that isn't as tough on the environment as phosphates.
    "How much is this really costing us?" Beck said. "Aren't we transferring the environmental consequences to something else?"

http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D976K34O0.html
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I just read that!

Hell yes, I'll smuggle. I was just making a note to stock up at Costco before some numbnuts with Al Gore eyes decided to try that in King County.

I'm going to drive my 15 MPG SUV to the store to do it, in first gear with the engine RPM's way up.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    I'm surprised they didn't do that in King county first. Oregon would have started in Multnomah county. I guess they didn't want to inconvenience the counties where the most liberals live....

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    One question for you two, and anyone else that lives in the Northwest. Did these "liberal green" types matriculate from the state from across Oregon's southern border (and I don't mean Nevada) or have they always been there? If so, no wonder why some of the residents in your states get angry at us for moving north, and bringing the reputation of being the Left Coast along with.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    One question for you two, and anyone else that lives in the Northwest. Did these "liberal green" types matriculate from the state from across Oregon's southern border (and I don't mean Nevada) or have they always been there? If so, no wonder why some of the residents in your states get angry at us for moving north, and bringing the reputation of being the Left Coast along with.
    It's a plot to keep the Californians out.....

Actually, it was the influx from S. California that brought up these goofy ideas. When I moved to Portland in 1970, it was fairly center to conservative. After the housing market went nuts in S. Cal., we were inundated with nutcases from down there. The political climate changed with it.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Whew, and to think I was born in So Cal. From what I've been told, the city where I was born is now overrun with thugs and liberal nutcases. I Thank God that my parents decided to move back to where they grew up in North Central Ca in 1972. Hence why I always say I am from Northern California so people don't get me confused with that.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Psst. Hey, mac. I got a whole case of detergent. It's some REALLY good Sh*t and there's more where it came from. Gimme a call and I'll set you up bro!

Seriously, I cannot believe the govt is telling you what to wash dishes with.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    mmm, Next Headline:

Spokane PD does a clean sweep of bootleggers selling Soap in the underground market!

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I'm more amused that there's a group called the Soap and Detergent Association.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Psst. Hey, mac. I got a whole case of detergent. It's some REALLY good Sh*t and there's more where it came from. Gimme a call and I'll set you up bro!
    Alright come clean, we want to know who's your supplier. So far your story doesn't wash....
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Alright come clean, we want to know who's your supplier. So far your story doesn't wash....
    Where ya gonna launder the money you get????

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    Where ya gonna launder the money you get????
    Hey , this would make a great soap opera.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Farm and lawn fertilizer runoff is bound to contain more phosphates than a year's worth of dishes... I'm not following how this tiny issue could really be the culprit. I think people just like to think their daily lives have an impact on the global environment, and the hippies like for them to believe that so they have a cause to fight for and condemn SUV driving folks for.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Seattle was predominately a sort of Libertarian type area until the influx of Calis with attitudes starting in the 80s. Spokane was rather conservative until about the last eight or nine years.

It's flat out silliness consistent with our state.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Silly like a three term governor....

It's just a control fetish that angry liberals have. They are undisciplined to the extent that they cannot manage their personal lives, yet they "decisively" use the power of the state to control lives and minds of others. That gives them the "feel good" buzz, that they are not losers, a total waste. They get addicted to something awesome, it's called POWER, and they spend it as freely as your money. Because they rule from some secure govt office cubicle, they never have to, and never will have, the guts to face those they oppress.

This soap thing has the unwashed odor of the WA State Dept of Ecology attempting to hide behind a "front".
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    This soap thing has the unwashed odor of the WA State Dept of Ecology attempting to hide behind a "front".
    Oh lord, yes undeed.

Worst on-duty interaction I had with another agency involved a DOE "officer." Was not pretty (my rookie year at the Gold Coast).

Thread Information