Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Long Trip on Horseback

April 4, 2009

Woman heading to Texas on horseback

The Associated Press

For seven weeks now Donna Byrne and her horses have been traveling on a life-changing journey. She had always dreamed of making a long trip on horseback, but she didn’t plan the journey quite so soon in life.
    After losing her job, her home, and most of her possessions due to the bad economy, Byrne left Arcadia, Fla., on Feb. 3. With a goal of finding work, she set Amarillo, Texas, as her destination. She and her horses, Tonto and Jay, were traveling along Highway 84 West in Wayne County this week.

“I lost my job. I lost my house. I left with a $100 bill in my pocket,” Byrne said. “I’ve been wanting to do this, but I didn’t think I was going to get forced into it.”

So far, the trip has gone well. Although there is a shortage of funds, there are still two hungry horses and a cowgirl to feed.

Strangers have stepped in to feed all three along the way. People have made donations of money, shelter, and even minutes for her prepaid cellphone. A vet stopped in Florida to offer shots for the horses, and another person offered them new shoes.

There are online blogs following the trio, tracking them along their way. Most of the late winter and early spring has included comfortable, dry weather. But, the past few days of rain have been tough on the travelers.

“It’s been going good except for the bad rain we just had,” she said.

Byrne, Tonto, and Jay travel about 20 miles each day, she said. When asked what she needs, she had the horses in mind first.

“I need places we can stay,” Byrne said. “I need feed for the horses. They need good hay and sweet feed with 14 percent protein.”

Byrne and her horses were getting ready to settle down for the evening Monday afternoon. They had already had a long day.

“He’s sleepy,” Byrne said about Tonto. Then, referring to a small business across Highway 84 with a covered shed, “That seems like a good spot to stay. I’m going to ask them if we can shelter there.”

Although they have camped along major highways and backroads between Florida and Mississippi, some nights require a little more shelter.

Many people along the way have offered them a place to stay the night or a couple of days. With tonight’s forecast including strong to severe thunderstorms, Byrne said she is hoping to find a little more shelter for she and her horses.

After that, she’ll continue down Highway. 84 through Mississippi and Louisiana, following dreams of a good life “out west.”
    Wow, I cannot imagine going from Fl to Rx 20 miles at at time!
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    She is from a town not far from me...and let me tell you after being on Mounted Patrol and spending 12 hours a day on horseback for the Air Show...I can't imagine going that far.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Sounds to me like a woman worth knowing.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    That's a bit of a haul. I'd be saddle-sore for sure if I tried that.

Several years back, we hosted a guy who was riding to all 48 states and visiting the capitals.

Gene Glasscock- he gives a whole new meaning to the word "Longrider".

Gene Glasscock - a map of his trip

Gene is the only person on record to have ridden from North to South America. The Texas born equestrian traveler accomplished that feat in the 1980's when he rode his Quarter Horse "Cactus" 12,000 miles from the Arctic Circle in Canada to the Equator in Ecuador.

Then in September 2002 Gene set out from Denver Colorado to recreate the Overland Westerners' amazing equestrian journey. Gene rode over 3 years and 20,000+ miles visiting all the continuous 48 state capitols. Gene is the oldest person that we know of to make a journey of this magnitude.

Gene finished this amazing trip in December 2005 in Columbus, Ohio.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Our cavalry soldiers did it back when the west was untamed. Seems like a cool adventure
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Thread Information