Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Getting the Axe

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Getting the Axe

I was just wondering how many of you out there are worried about loosing your job? Every single day, I thank God for my job. I can't imagine how hard it must be wondering from day to day if your job is going to be there tomorrow. I alwys tell rookies that you'll never get rich in this job, but you'll have a job.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think it's safe to worry a bit.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There's always the possibility. That being said though, with a little seniority you're in pretty good shape. Where I am here they'd have to lay off about 150 cops before getting to me, and that's over half our total strength. Barring something catastrophic like the city disbanding the department and as long as I don't do anything stupid enough to get fired I'm in pretty good shape. I don't have any anxiety though so I'm very grateful.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    My dept's plan is to lose officers through attrition, not replacing retiring cops. Hopefully that will keep us from laying people off.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

GASheepdog is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    In my area, there haven't been any layoffs for LEOs, but a few departments have furloughed officers in some way. For example, Atlanta PD is having their officers take off a day without pay during every two-week pay period, which amounts to a 10% pay cut.

We still worry, though, because some cities and counties have laid off firefighters and closed fire stations. In GA, a right to work state, there's nothing to prevent local governements from doing the same thing to police if they feel that public safety budgets need to be trimmed.
    Be kind, be courteous . . .

and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Worry some..but here I have enough seniority to hopefully make it unlikely that I will get the axe. What worries me is that I am trying to move closer to family...and if I move laterally to another dept my seniority is no longer there to keep me safe. But there will never be a perfect time to move so I will try anyway...I have other talents/degrees to use if I need to if things go wrong.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Only 16 officers at my PD and only four of them have more seniority than me. Plus, there are about 8 or 10 other agencies I can "bump" into and I have more seniority than the majority of the officers in a lot of them.

I think I'm safe. About the only thing that may be possible would be I'd have to downgrade from Sgt to PO.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    My city is 4 steps away from laying any off. If they do, unfortunately due to the timing of my lateral transfer, there's only 20 (out of 700) below me.

Good news is that it doesn't look like the city will make it to even step 2 of the four so from what everyone says, im safe.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I'm the second most senior in a department of about 60 and I am eligible for retirement in June. No word whatsoever of any possible lay-offs here so I hope I am safe for quite a while.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    We have about 900 sworn and the most I've ever seen laid off was less than 10. And they got their jobs back within a month or two. Both times, the city was making more of a statement after losing a contract arbitration than actually trying to save money. In fact, the last time, they got the laid off cops jobs as meter maids so they wouldn't stray too far. They'd already spent too much for training to lose them permanently.

When times have actually gotten hard, we've just gone into a hiring freeze. Enough people retire on a monthly basis to reduce the work force in a timely fashion.

The truth of the matter is, we're still struggling to hire. We are still way under strength.

The public isn't going to tolerate a reduction in police protection very long. LE tax levies are the only tax issues that consistently pass around here. People may not like cops, but they want them around. Same with firemen, their homeowner's insurance goes up when stations close. I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I can't see many cops, if any at all getting laid off around here.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    anyway...I have other talents/degrees to use if I need to if things go wrong.
    You know RSA is going to find this and use it against you. His spider sense is already tingliing.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    I wouldn't say I worry. Though the knowledge that any day, any time I could be out of a job does sit in the back of my head. It helps me appreciate what I have.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Thread Information