Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

School principal issued a citation for noise

They say good fences make good neighbors, but at Olympia Elementary School, a fence was not nearly enough.
    Late last month, police issued Principal Terri LeBleu a citation for violation of the Universal City noise ordinance after a neighbor who has long complained about commotion at the school called again during its Family Fitness Day.
    Officials with both Judson Independent School District and the Universal City Police Department say the district has taken several steps to try to restore relations with Butch Armstrong.
    “They’ve built a 7-foot fence at the back of the school,” LeBleu said. “They’ve put special backing on the basketball hoops because he doesn’t like hearing the basketball hit, and they’ve even taken out the loudspeakers that allowed me to make announcements to the kids who are outside, so now I’m not able not do that.”
    Finally, police said, they had no choice but to issue a citation.
    Armstrong said the fence has helped to buffer the sound between the school and his home on Ulysses, a short street running behind the schoolyard, but noise is still a problem. He would like the district to change a traffic pattern that has a long line of cars dropping off and retrieving children at the rear of the school and to monitor the property so community members do not use the school grounds on nights and weekends.
    “Each morning and afternoon there’s somewhere in the neighborhood of 208 cars that pass our bed,” Armstrong said.
    He said the school was initially a pleasant neighbor but has grown in recent years, adding portable classrooms and more buses to accommodate extra students. Olympia has an enrollment of about 700 students, 200 of them added in the past five years, according to state data.
    During the March 20 fitness event, parents were invited to walk the track with their children.
     “We had some music playing, and that’s probably what started some of his concerns,” said LeBleu, who also said she’s had no complaints about noise except Armstrong’s.
    But neighbor Bob Brown, whose house is also on Ulysses, said noise has been an increasing problem at the school. Brown praised Superintendent Willis Mackey for his willingness to work with residents, including b
    uilding the fence between the schoolyard and a row of nine houses.
    Still, on the day of the fitness event, Brown said, he could feel the ground vibrate.
    “Like I was standing in the middle of the mosh pit at a rock concert and Ozzy Osbourne was up there,” he said.
    Another neighbor on the block said she notices school traffic — less so since the fence was installed — but is not particularly bothered by the noise.
    “I guess I’ve just gotten acclimated to it,” Janie Sanchez said.
    According to a Universal City police report, Armstrong told an officer that “police, fire, ambulances and the USAF training jets are not unreasonable, but the noise coming from the elementary school was.”
    The officer wrote: “In my experience as a police officer and being of normal and ordinary sensibilities, I felt the noise was not unreasonable and is common for an elementary school.”
    Assistant Chief of Police Bill Gabbard said his officers have no way of monitoring the decibel level of noise at the school.
    LeBleu has rallied supporters to press the City Council for changes to the noise ordinance that would make schools exempt from it.
    Parent-Teacher Organization president Michael Colwell attended the Family Fitness Day and is one those supporters.
    “I don’t see where someone gets off buying a house next to a school and expects it to be 100 percent quiet 100 percent of the time. I think it’s a stupid idea,” said Colwell, a parent of two Olympia students.
    A court date on the noise citation is set for May 12.

Cops ticket principal for school noise
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    That sucks for the police and the school. Especially in this case, when the school sounds like they were working towards addressing the complaints by building walls, putting the kabash on outdoor speakers/announcements, etc. There's only so much you can try to placate people, but in the end, if they want a summons written listing them as the victim, and the circumstances do fall in line with an ordinance violation, you gotta write it. I don't fault the cop one bit...he even covered himself in the report.

I'm kind of in agreement that if you buy a house next to a school (if that's what happened here), then you can't really complain about school-related noise. Same complaint with bars. If the bar is legally zoned, and you move in next to it, you can't complain if you're woken up by loud people walking to their cars, audible bass/music, etc.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    He needs to grow the hell up. He got a house near the school and knew they make noise. I hope the court dismisses the citation.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    A subdivision was build near the end of the runway of a small airport in the next town up from here. People bought the houses and immediately started complaining about the aircraft noise. If you want quiet, make that a consideration before buying.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    If he moved next to the school, I say screw him. Other way around, yeah I might be pissed too.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Sounds like a grouchy dickhead who believes the world revolves around his bunghole. Sample thought process- "Oh look there are people happily enjoying life , I must stomp that out because I'm miserable and everyboby else should be too.I have no redeeming qualities and can't even stand myself so everbody else should suffer for it."
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

moggsp98 is offline Press HARD, 5 copies
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Has anybody ever flown from an airport that practices noise abatement? The plane takes off straight up and then CUTS power! Feels like the plane is going to fall back to earth in reverse. All because people moved in and complained about the noise! What BULLSHIT!
    Any day above ground is a fine day indeed!

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE PIGEON, SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE STATUE

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Open season on his house with the student's pranks now. This could turn into a lesson of knowing which battles to fight.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Sounds like a grouchy dickhead who believes the world revolves around his bunghole. Sample thought process- "Oh look there are people happily enjoying life , I must stomp that out because I'm miserable and everyboby else should be too.I have no redeeming qualities and can't even stand myself so everbody else should suffer for it."
    I once had this walking, talking hemorrhoid make several complaints to me over a period of time that her tires were being slashed. She had a suspect, but I couldn't prove anything. After getting called to her apt. for the 3rd or 4th tire damage complaint, I told her to sell her car and buy a bike.

I think I may have told this comp to buy some ear plugs and deal with it.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information