Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Stockton man organizing militia if police layoffs happen

The Stockton man who wants to put a militia on the streets if police layoffs happen, said he's got 270 people signed on to help.

"They're going to have rifles, shotguns, pistols--whatever they get their hands on," said 66-year-old Alan Pettet. "We're not going to go out looking for trouble, but the first person who fires on us, will get a lot of return fire going is way."

Pettet said a militia is needed if the City of Stockton follows through with police layoffs that could come as early as this summer.

"If they don't lay off police, there won't be a militia," Pettet said. "But with the first person laid off July 1st, 270 men will be out on the street."

The idea of an armed militia patrolling Stockton streets doesn't have many supporters around the city.

"I think it's a terrible idea, that's all you need--a bunch of folks who aren't trained and not accountable to be running around with guns," said Andrea Pinkham.

"I think it would be crazy, like chaos, said Stan Shortt. "It wouldn't be good."

The Stockton Police Department is happy to have citizens who want to help make the city safer, but not in this fashion.

"What our officers do, is go through extensive training," police spokesperson Roseann Clark said. "They have 800 hours of academy time before hitting the streets."

Pettet doesn't seem bothered by the negative reaction. If police layoffs happen, he's planning to be busy up to three nights a week, patrolling the streets.

"We'll have four men in a car, and as many cars as we can put out there", said Pettet.

Stockton Militia Organizer Claims Strong Support | News10.net | Sacramento, California | Local News

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    This is Stockton, CA.

I seriously doubt Mr Pettet, or the rest of the militia, has the training that Stockton PD has in protecting the city. Unless maybe former military? But of course the article doesn't tell us that.

With California's current crazy gun laws, the outcome can not be good.

That being said, there are places in Stockton that I would not care to be alone on the streets at night. Its worse than Modesto, and thats pretty bad.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I could understand people banding together to help protect their private property, but patrolling the streets sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Dallas has seen its share of armed Citizen Patrols formed by business owners over the objection of the Dallas PD.

As far as I know, none of them have done any harm, and one group actually caught a commercial burglar and held him at gunpoint for over 20 minutes waiting on 911 to send a police car to get him.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    But there is a big difference between the citizens of Texas as to California, Am I right?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    But there is a big difference between the citizens of Texas as to California, Am I right?
    Damn, you got me there!!! We have 15-20 rounds in our guns depending on which brand & caliber, instead of just 10 or 11

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I could understand people banding together to help protect their private property, but patrolling the streets sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
    +1. The theory behind it is fine, but the caliber (no pun intended) of people around here willing to do that scares me. They'd be the people out just looking for the opportunity to do something stupid.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Didn't California used to have, or don't they still have "Police Specials?"

They were like security companies where the officers attended and graduated a police academy and worked for the business district.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information