Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Gay Judge Perez Hilton: 'The Way Miss California Answered Her Gay Marriage Question Lost Her The Crown'

LAS VEGAS, Nev. -- Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton may have been crowned Miss USA 2009 on Sunday, but on Monday, it was Miss California Carrie Prejean's answer to a question about same-sex marriage from celebrity blogger and pageant judge Perez Hilton that was the night's biggest story.
    During the show, Perez asked Carrie, "Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit? Why or why not?"
    Well I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. Um, we live in a land that you can choose same sex marriage or opposite marriage and, you know what, in my country and in, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman," Carrie said to a mix of boos and applause. "No offense to anybody out there. But that's how I was raised and that's how I think that it should be between a man and a woman."
    Carrie's answer to the hot button question cost her the crown - at least according to Perez.
    "The way miss California answered her question lost her the crown, without a doubt!" Perez told Access Hollywood after the pageant. "Never before that I'm aware of has a contestant been booed at Miss USA."
    Keith Lewis, Co-Executive Director of the Miss California USA and Miss California Teen USA said in statement to Access Hollywood that he respects Carrie's opinion, even if it differs with his.
    "I am proud of Carrie Prejean's beauty and placement at the 2009 Miss USA pageant. I support Carrie's right to express her personal beliefs even if they do not coincide with my own," Keith told Access. "I believe the subject of gay marriage deserves a great deal more conversation in order to heal the divide it has created."

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I wonder what would have happened if she tried to triangulate her way out of the question by saying that she supports same-sex civil unions but not same-sex marriage, like a lot of politicians do.

I think it would be great if all beauty pageant contestants had to answer tough political questions like that, preferably while smiling and walking in swimsuits. Wouldn't it be fun to watch all of them trying to look pretty while answering questions like "Do you think abortion should be legal? Why or why not?" and "How would you reform Social Security?" and "What do you think of the Bush Doctrine?" Even better if they are asked the same questions at state and national pageants, so that contestants who give different answers to state and national audiences will have to justify those differences. Contestants who disagree should then have to debate each other (this could be combined with mudwrestling to maximize ratings).

CNN and maybe even C-Span might start covering beauty pageants then! Eventually that could pave the way to the selection of all political leaders through beauty pageants. That's the direction the electoral process is already headed in anyway.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    It's a beauty pageant, not an intelligence pageant, and not a political pageant. Perez should have kept his personal feelings out of this and voted for the best. On the other hand, Miss N.C. did win!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    She had to know that her true beliefs would not be popular in that culture. She answered the question honestly and stuck to her principles. I call that character. Character will serve her better and last longer than beauty.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I respect her for her honesty. Most girls would probably answer simply what they thought the general public wanted to hear...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    It's a beauty pageant, not an intelligence pageant, and not a political pageant.
    If that was the case, then why do they even have the question and answer part? Whether thats why people vote for who they vote for or not, it's part of the rules of the competition that the score on their answers factors in.

That being said, if they don't want political answers, they shouldn't ask political questions. Whether you like her answer or not, it was her answer. She didn't lie to try to get a better score. So I can't fault her at all, even though I disagree with her. At least she has integrity.

She has the right to answer with her honest opinion. We are all judged by our honest opinions everyday, on every kind of topic out there. That's part of life. I think this whole thing is being made way too much of a bigger deal than it really is.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "Celebrity Blogger and Pageant Judge Perez Hilton"...

yeah, he seems like a perfect judge of female beauty, grace, intellect, virtue, and style...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    If that was the case, then why do they even have the question and answer part? Whether thats why people vote for who they vote for or not, it's part of the rules of the competition that the score on their answers factors in.

That being said, if they don't want political answers, they shouldn't ask political questions. Whether you like her answer or not, it was her answer. She didn't lie to try to get a better score. So I can't fault her at all, even though I disagree with her. At least she has integrity.

She has the right to answer with her honest opinion. We are all judged by our honest opinions everyday, on every kind of topic out there. That's part of life. I think this whole thing is being made way too much of a bigger deal than it really is.
    I agree. I guess she doesn't have much of a chance at a career as a politician ahead of her since she said what she truly believes and not what would get her elected like a certain presidential canidate.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Here's the video relating to this post.

I was listening to Mike Gallagher on the AM talk radio and someone said that she was also booed for her answer, then he played this. I didn't hear any booing, only applause.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post

I suspect that Perez Hilton had this already planned out to ask her this question, since the people of California twice voted against this issue. Would he have asked the same question to another contestant? Maybe this is a little bit of sour grapes on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    "Celebrity Blogger and Pageant Judge Perez Hilton"...

yeah, he seems like a perfect judge of female beauty, grace, intellect, virtue, and style...
    Agreed with both of you. Perez Hilton should have kept his political agenda out of it.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    What questions did the other contestants get asked?

And I applaud this one for saying what she believes. I've got much more respect for someone just saying what they believe instead of what they think I want to hear.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    What questions did the other contestants get asked?
    Warning, may cause a drop in viewer IQ.

Thread Information