Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Police: There are 20 underage kids drinking in your house and your son wont let us in. May we enter?" Parent: "STFU and go away"

BARRINGTON, R.I. -- A Barrington couple refused to allow the police into their home after the police discovered more than 20 teenagers drinking in the basement while the couple was away on vacation.
    On Monday, Barrington Police Chief John M. LaCross expressed his frustration over the incident and said that unless adults begin holding their children accountable for their actions, more tragedies will occur as a result of underage drinking. Four teenagers have died in Barrington as a result of alcohol-related accidents.
    "When are the young adults going to be held accountable by the parents?" LaCross said. "These kids have no fear of consequences. They will continue to drink and have risky behavior."
    The police couldn't charge any of the teenagers because the homeowner, John Place of 416 Sowams Rd., refused to allow them into his house. Place and his wife, Susan, had left their 19-year-old son, Corey, home alone while they reportedly vacationed in Maryland.
    Corey Place has run afoul of the law before. Last April, he was charged with underage possession of alcohol after he and seven other teenagers were found drinking near Brickyard Pond.
    A second teenager, Ryan Greenberg 17, was part of the group arrested. At the time, Greenberg was free on bail and facing a second- degree murder charge in connection with the death of Patrick Murphy the previous summer.
    John Place had called the police on April 10, the night of the party, and asked them to check on his house at 7 p.m. and again at 11 p.m. because he didn't want teenagers partying at his house.
    When the police responded to reports of a loud party, they could hear yelling, laughing and music coming from the basement. When the police lifted the exterior bulkhead door, they said that they were "immediately overcome with a pungent odor associated with alcohol."
    Det. Lt. Dino DeCrescenzo immediately called John Place's cell phone number, which Place had given to the police.
    "I told him about the odor or beer and alcohol," DeCrescenzo said in his police report. "I told him that I wanted his son to let us in the house so we could check on the safety of all the underage persons, seize the alcohol and then call everyone's parents to ensure their safety and well-being."
    Your Turn:
    Would you let the police enter your home to break up an underage drinking party?

Place told the police that he wanted to call his son first. After 10 minutes, DeCrescenzo called back. Place said his son wouldn't answer the phone. During this period, the music was turned off, the laughing and yelling stopped and the lights were turned off.
    After some time, Corey picked up the phone and DeCrescenzo could hear the conversation between Corey and his parents. Corey told his parents that he wasn't home but the police could see the youth's truck at the house.
    After speaking with the police off and on for 40 minutes, Place said he didn't want them entering his house. DeCrescenzo told Place to get someone over to his house and Place called a friend, Joanne Mercer. Corey let her into the house and she immediately locked the door behind her.
    "I told Susan Place that at least one officer should accompany Mrs. Mercer around the house to make sure everyone was accounted for," DeCrescenzo wrote. "She kind of relayed this to her husband and he said he absolutely did not want to allow the police into the home and was yelling several other requests the kids had made. Susan said to her husband that it was the kids' fault they were in this mess and wondered why they were listening to all of their demands."
    Place did not return phone calls last week and again on Monday.
    Mercer eventually got the teenagers out of the house, where they were picked up by their parents.Twenty- three teenagers ages 16 to 19 were at the party. The police reported that a few of the teens were very drunk.
    Yesterday, LaCross explained that his officers can't enter a house unless they believe someone's life to be in jeopardy and the parents can't be charged under the state's social host law because they were not at home during the party.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Could they see any of the kids's (who they knew were under 21) drinking and/or visibly intoxicated? Sounds like plain view to me.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I don't know the details, but I heard on the news here that police arrested a mother for furnishing alcohol to her 18 yr old son's friends at this 18th birthday party. Apparently there's no problem here on the left coast......
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Our town had a 14-yo girl raped at one of those parties, in which the "party parents" initially got charged not only with PROVIDING booze, but selling it without a license and selling to a minor - They made the mistake of charging the kids $5 per glass to offset the costs of the beer keg.

That jacked up the potential charges quite a bit, but the damn DA wimped out and went with one count of providing instead of like 20 counts of selling to a minor and selling without a license - That same DA was defeated in his re-election bid the very next year, over that one issue. Needless to say, the parents of the 14-yo girl led the opposition.

No one was ever prosecuted for the rape, because she was too drunk to even remember who did it, and the DA supposedly ran into a snag getting a search warrant for DNA or something.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    I don't know the details, but I heard on the news here that police arrested a mother for furnishing alcohol to her 18 yr old son's friends at this 18th birthday party. Apparently there's no problem here on the left coast......
    Something like this happened near me, too. ...and get this, her former husband is a Atwater, CA police officer. I think she was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and other things such as, child molestation and unlawful sexual intercourse. Lets just say, to my knowledge, they aren't married anymore because of this event.

According to court records, David Walker filed for divorce four days after his wife was arrested. A judge awarded him custody of their 8-year-old son before Anna Walker was released on bail.

Walker's two older children from prior relationships have gone to live with their fathers in other states, according to divorce papers.
    The Modesto Bee | Anna Walker

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    A similar situation but in our case, a search warrant was obtained and entry was made. You should have heard the herd thundering through the house to hide.

All it takes is the parents of one kid to be injured to sue the providing parents.

As a sergeant, I'd have no problems camping out in front of the house and snagging the young 'uns as they came out. With a warrant in hand, make lawful entry and arrest everyone. Problem solved.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    And yet another example of police time being wasted. Why the hell would you ask for a check of the house and then when the police found something potentially illegal going on would you then deny entrance? A waste of time. Why bother to ask for something and then not follow through?

Oh wait...I know...cause your beautiful, special, sweet, innocent child might get himself into trouble AGAIN. Hey..your son is an adult..let him be responsible for his actions..there's an idea. What a concept.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

GirlInBrown is offline If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong....
    Verified LEO
    We have similar probs in my area....but usually it is too busy to f around with them, IF denied entry and no good PC for entry...we will usually start by impounding cars that are parked "illegal" out on the street...then when they start running out of the house we snag them. The 19yo son would have been charged with hosting, which is a $1500 misd. here, ontop of his stupid MIP cite.

Last summer one of our District Court Judges' daughter was having a little get together at her house, and most of the kids were 21 and over, but there were a few minors. She actually called her dad, who we did not know was a judge at the time, and told him that we wanted to come in, he asked to talk to one of us, and in a not so nice way, informed us that we were "done there".
    " The warrior who honors the shield says, WHEN it happens, I will be ready...." Lt. Col. Grossman (Live... 9-11-07)

GirlInBrown is offline If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong....
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    And yet another example of police time being wasted. Why the hell would you ask for a check of the house and then when the police found something potentially illegal going on would you then deny entrance? A waste of time. Why bother to ask for something and then not follow through?

Oh wait...I know...cause your beautiful, special, sweet, innocent child might get himself into trouble AGAIN. Hey..your son is an adult..let him be responsible for his actions..there's an idea. What a concept.
    The best part is, he called twice, because he DID NOT want partying at his house.

This is also the type of person that would call and complain the next morning...
    " The warrior who honors the shield says, WHEN it happens, I will be ready...." Lt. Col. Grossman (Live... 9-11-07)

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlInBrown View Post
    The best part is, he called twice, because he DID NOT want partying at his house.

This is also the type of person that would call and complain the next morning...
    Seriously..how true is that...he WOULD be complaining the next morning. LOL

And the judge story would have pissed me off....but I have a sunshiney personality like that.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Thread Information