Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Talking F-16s Buzz Lady Liberty, Put City on Edge

F-16s Buzz Lady Liberty, Put City on Edge - News- msnbc.com

By Brian Thompson
    NBCNewYork.com
    updated 6 minutes ago

It wasn't even a drill. It was a photo op.

An Air Force One lookalike and two F-16s circled the Statue of Liberty in New York harbor this morning, halting work on nearby construction sites and giving thousands of people in downtown Manhattan and New Jersey quite the scare.

"I fully expected to hear an explosion," said one New Jersey ferry commuter who asked not to be identified. "I thought it was going to hit a building. It was very low. It was definitely below the building line."

[IMG]http://media.nbcnewyork.com/images/419*298/042709+low+flying+plane.jpg[/IMG]
    The Air Force One lookalike is a back up plane for the one used by the president, The New York Times reported. The plane is designated by the Defense Department as a VC-25 but is recognizable to the public as a Boeing 747.

The Federal Aviation Administration said there was no reason for alarm, even thousands of people saw the two fighter jets circle the statue, along with a VC-25, and immediately thought the worst.

"Thousands" of people in the streets of Jersey City were set into a panic, said Stan Eason of the Jersey City Police Department. Buildings were evacuated because residents were unaware what was going on, Eason said. Thousands of Jersey City office workers fled their office buildings in fear of another 9/11 attack.

"It made me so uneasy," said the ferry commmuter. "It was very remniscent of 911. I was very uneasy. I was very stressed. I didn't know what was going to happen."

Eason was checking to see if any authorities were notified. They received a number of calls and were prompted to call the FAA.

"They were making two, maybe three passes," FAA spokesman Jim Peters told News 4 New York. "The (Department of Defense) and the FAA worked this all out in advance."

People in downtown Manhattan did not seem to be aware of the photo op.

“People came pouring out of the buildings, the American Express Building, all the buildings in the Financial District by the water,” Edward Acker, a photographer at 3 World Financial Center, told The Times.

“New York City police were standing right there and they had no knowledge of it," Acker added.

No word on where the photo op will show up.

Did you see the F-16 jets flying around lower Manhattan? Send us your pictures and videos here.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Knowing what happened there, I think this was pretty stupid without some kind of warning.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I agree that a warning was neccessary. However, I also don't have a problem with the masses getting just a little taste of how they felt that day almost eight years ago. Funny how the media lables awareness as panic.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I agree that a warning was neccessary. However, I also don't have a problem with the masses getting just a little taste of how they felt that day almost eight years ago. Funny how the media lables awareness as panic.
    Agreed. I would have had no problem with them putting a 20-second news blurb out. That way, they did give a fair warning, but the people that are too lazy or ignorant to keep up on their local news would be the ones being scared. I find it cheeky that those are the very same people that need the reminder of how it felt 8 years ago.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Local LE was warned. Apparently, Bloomberg claimes he wasn't and claims to be mad. Go piss up a rop NYC! You voted for the nincompoop in office who retained Gates.

Besides, a 20 second blurb on the television would be missed by half the city and the other half that don't speak or understand English would not understand it.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think we ought to do that over every major city.

"Do you remember?"
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I think we ought to do that over every major city.

"Do you remember?"

Works for me

(\__/)

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That would be cool. I remember working midnights and watching the blinking lights on the planes flying CAP over the metro DC area.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    That would be cool. I remember working midnights and watching the blinking lights on the planes flying CAP over the metro DC area.
    I remember guarding the planes, the pilots, and the alert strip.

Saw them go once - absolutely beautiful.

WADS cleared two F-15's hot, and we all stood and saluted, wondering if they were going to have to shoot.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Source: White House was updating AF One file photo

By MICHAEL J. SNIFFEN, Associated Press Writer Michael J. Sniffen, Associated Press Writer 44 mins ago

WASHINGTON – An administration official says a presidential Boeing 747 and a fighter jet flew low near ground zero in New York City Monday because the White House Military Office wanted to update its file photo of the president's plane near the Statue of Liberty.

This official said the White House Military Office told the Federal Aviation Administration that it periodically updates file photos of Air Force One near national landmarks, like the statute in New York harbor and the Grand Canyon.

The official requested anonymity to give more details than the official White House announcement that took the blame.

The incident on Monday caused a brief panic among workers, who weren't warned. They recalled the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Damn, you would think they would give a really clear warning a day or two before this happened. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

There is a smaller airport not too far from where I live and I got to see the Air Force One"s" land there about a year or so ago. I'm told there's three of them to keep people guessing...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Nice.

Burn some gas in a faltering economy so that we can have a new 8x10 glossy to hand out.

Elitist jackasses at the DoD and WH.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Source: White House was updating AF One file photo

By MICHAEL J. SNIFFEN, Associated Press Writer Michael J. Sniffen, Associated Press Writer 44 mins ago

WASHINGTON – An administration official says a presidential Boeing 747 and a fighter jet flew low near ground zero in New York City Monday because the White House Military Office wanted to update its file photo of the president's plane near the Statue of Liberty.

This official said the White House Military Office told the Federal Aviation Administration that it periodically updates file photos of Air Force One near national landmarks, like the statute in New York harbor and the Grand Canyon.

The official requested anonymity to give more details than the official White House announcement that took the blame.

The incident on Monday caused a brief panic among workers, who weren't warned. They recalled the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Probably taking photos for President Obama's official White House Christmas cards. Everything is under control. Secret White House memos just released indicate that the flight was authorized by the Bush Administration.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Probably taking photos for President Obama's official White House Christmas cards. Everything is under control. Secret White House memos just released indicate that the flight was authorized by the Bush Administration.
    Does anyone get the feeling that Obama might be playing games?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Does anyone get the feeling that Obama might be playing games?

CTR, Captain America was joking.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    So flying small private jets to congressional hearings is arrogant, but taking up a 747 and two F-16s to take a picture is groovy? That's government logic for ya.

And haven't they ever heard of Photoshop?

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    watch the panic it caused in video 2

Word has it that Obama is "furious" at the stunt... But I thought that he was kept informed of where all his AirForce One planes were?

If I was Al Quita, I would be getting a big laugh out of all this.

Ok, maybe I'm getting a good laugh anyway, shame on me

(\__/)

Verified LEO
    Goldman Sachs employees would react that way. Many former employees of the various firms inside the twin towers who survived went to work for Sachs, continuing with investment banking.

I, for one, don't think the president knew this would happen. Many military things are done without direct knowledge of the president. I also do not buy that Bloomberg didn't know. For shit's sake, his own NYPD comish knew. What I do see is one of his immediate flunkies in the military liaison office saying, "Wouldn't this be a nice photo?"

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    With all of the national monuments and things to see in the U.S., you would think they would pick one well away from a city that had planes auger into a building as a terrorist attack...especially since the current administration stands for anything BUT liberty unless they agree with the cause.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information