Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Roses is offline Member

La. Investigates Red Cross Complaints

30 minutes ago

State Attorney General Charles Foti is investigating complaints that American Red Cross volunteers improperly diverted money and supplies meant for hurricane victims in New Orleans.

Foti spokeswoman Kris Wartelle told The Washington Post that the probe would be announced Monday. On Friday the Red Cross announced, under pressure from Congress, that it was investigating claims that some of its volunteers engaged in widespread theft in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

The Post, citing an unidentified Red Cross official, said the organization has dismissed three of its volunteers who had been involved in food and shelter operations in the city because of "allegations involving waste and abuse."

Katrina struck southeastern Louisiana and the Mississippi Gulf Coast on Aug. 29. The Red Cross had 235,000 volunteers working in the Katrina disaster area. The charity has said it responded to Katrina the best it could in circumstances almost unimaginable, while acknowledging that it stumbled in "technology, logistics and coordination."

Foti's office said earlier this month that it also is looking into complaints against another well-known national charity, the Humane Society of the United States. Wartelle said the office has received complaints that even though the organization had raised millions of dollars, it had not done enough to reunite Katrina evacuees with their pets.

Wayne Pacelle, president and executive director of the organization, has said the nonprofit charity has done nothing wrong and is cooperating fully.

Copyright © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Copyright © 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060326/...tkBHNlYwM3MTg-
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

chris2001 is offline Captain
    This is not the first time that Red Cross is being accused of something like this. The Red Cross went under investigation here a few years ago when we had a dozen tornados wipe out two entire city areas. They were forcing people to pay money for food and water that was donated. So I have no love for the Red Cross.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Roses is offline Member
    Unfortunately not all volunteers should be trusted.

However, you will find that type of behavior throughout any type of organization, whether it is private or public or for profit and not for profit.
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

Ken K is offline Banned
    Recent Red Cross job posting. I have a little problem with painting everyone in a huge organization with the same brush. That's all too often said about LE.

If they didn't have this before they are late, but apparently making an effort.

AutoReqId
    3707BR

Title
    Investigative Coordinator

City
    Washington

State
    DC

Country
    United States

Employment Status
    Regular

Full-Time / Part-Time
    Full-Time

% of Travel Required
    0 - 25%

Relocation Benefits Available?
    No

Job Description/Qualifications
    Summary:

Investigates suspected incidents of illegal activity or cases of suspected fraud by providers, subscribers, employees, or third parties. Maintains working relationships with law enforcement agencies. Accumulates, evaluates, and, if required, presents evidence to appropriate law enforcement agency and/or court. Participates in internal and/or external investigations that involve a wide array of unethical/illegal behavior. This position exists to help enforce the integrity of the organization and its volunteers.

Responsibilities:

Gathers information from suspect(s) and witness(es). Helps create formal documentation and reports on all incidents. Investigates suspicion of violation to guidelines such as theft, fraud, etc. Typically has other unit-specific duties within the scope of the job.

Qualifications:

Bachelorís degree Criminal justice, criminology, or other related field. In lieu of a degree, years experience may be suitable.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ken K is offline Banned
    Oh and sorry for no site. I got this from the ACFE site and they refer you to the Red Cross site, although none posted on ACFE, for the job announcment.
    Last edited by Ken K; 03-26-06 at 01:11 PM.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    The Red Cross is better than a lot of agencies. The people in my dept quit giving money to the United Fund decades ago when we found out they were funneling money to the ACLU. I've no love for the Boy Scouts either. I tried to help some churches in our ghetto area set up some Boy Scout troops. I went to the regional director to see if there was some way to get some donated uniforms and equipment because these kids were dirt poor. He told me no, that they got too much money from the sale of uniforms and such to kids.

The Salvation Army is about the only organization like that which really gets the money to the people who need it.

Marsha J. Evans, President and CEO of the American Red Cross... salary for year ending 06/30/03 was $450,000. plus expenses.
    (Newsweek, Sept. 2005)

Brian Gallagher, President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base salary, plus numerous expense benefits.
    (Silicon Valley Report Online, Sept., 2005)

The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Ken K is offline Banned
    According to the Salvation Army, Commissioners W. Todd Bassett and his wife Carol A. Bassett jointly received basic living allowances and grants totaling $64,210 for 2004 plus housing valued at $34,116. That is still considerably less than the salaries of some of the other top charities.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors...rmy-salary.htm

Thread Information