Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Pennsylvania bill would ban use of welfare benefits to buy alcohol

Pennsylvania lawmakers are considering a bill that would bar welfare recipients from using taxpayer-backed benefit cards to buy alcohol. The measure, which also bans use of child support payments for alcohol purchases, unanimously passed the state House last week. It now heads to the state Senate, where a spokesman for Majority Leader Dominic Pileggi, R-Delaware, says he believes it has general support.
    State Rep. Dave Reed, R-Indiana, said he submitted the measure after learning on a tour of a county assistance office a few years ago that such purchases were not illegal.
    "I had no idea at the time that such a loophole existed," he said. "I don't think most people did."
    Administration officials, however, question whether the bill is aimed at a problem that doesn't exist, saying there is no evidence that recipients abuse their benefits. Others say it perpetuates a stereotype that people who receive government assistance are irresponsible.

The state Department of Public Welfare and Liquor Control Board do not compile statistics on such purchases by the approximately 2 million residents who get cash assistance, food stamps or medical assistance.
    "We are not by any means advocating that people use these funds to go to a liquor store," department spokeswoman Stacey Witalec said. "However, when should government play a role, and where is it intruding on grounds where personal responsibility should be playing a stronger role?"
    The bill would bar the 619 state liquor stores and private beer distributors from accepting the department's electronic benefit cards. State store clerks are already supposed to turn away such cards under an agreement between the department and liquor board, but the bill would put the force of law behind the agreement.
    The bill, however, could be circumvented if welfare recipients use their cards to withdraw cash at an ATM and use it to buy alcohol. And cards for child support benefits resemble credit cards, making it difficult for clerks to enforce such a law.
    "It perpetuates the stereotype that women on welfare are irresponsible and immoral and can't make appropriate decisions," said Carol Tracy, executive director of the Women's Law Project in Philadelphia.
    But Reed says any welfare money used to buy alcohol means that less is available for those in need.
    "Taxpayers are generally pretty generous when folks are in need but get irritated quickly when they see these loopholes," Reed said. "It makes them more cynical in wanting to continue helping more folks. ... This bill is trying to correct that."

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    My thoughts are in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Pennsylvania lawmakers are considering a bill that would bar welfare recipients from using taxpayer-backed benefit cards to buy alcohol. The measure, which also bans use of child support payments for alcohol purchases, unanimously passed the state House last week. It now heads to the state Senate, where a spokesman for Majority Leader Dominic Pileggi, R-Delaware, says he believes it has general support.
    State Rep. Dave Reed, R-Indiana, said he submitted the measure after learning on a tour of a county assistance office a few years ago that such purchases were not illegal.
    "I had no idea at the time that such a loophole existed," he said. "I don't think most people did." While I wholeheartedly supposrt this guy and his effort, I have to wonder where the fuck he's been all this time if he's just realizing this now.
    Administration officials, however, question whether the bill is aimed at a problem that doesn't exist, saying there is no evidence that recipients abuse their benefits. Others say it perpetuates a stereotype that people who receive government assistance are irresponsible.Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a problem with people feeling a little pressure from the stigma of being on welfare. It will get them to work harder to start supporting themselves without a government crutch. I'm all for assistance for those who truly need it, but hurry up and get out of your rut, so you can be proud that you did.

The state Department of Public Welfare and Liquor Control Board do not compile statistics on such purchases by the approximately 2 million residents who get cash assistance, food stamps or medical assistance.
    "We are not by any means advocating that people use these funds to go to a liquor store," department spokeswoman Stacey Witalec said. "However, when should government play a role, and where is it intruding on grounds where personal responsibility should be playing a stronger role?"Get over it lady. Government's ALREADY playing a role here. And as the benefactor to these millions of people getting assistance, they have every right to make firm rules on how that money is spent.
    The bill would bar the 619 state liquor stores and private beer distributors from accepting the department's electronic benefit cards. State store clerks are already supposed to turn away such cards under an agreement between the department and liquor board, but the bill would put the force of law behind the agreement.YES!
    The bill, however, could be circumvented if welfare recipients use their cards to withdraw cash at an ATM and use it to buy alcohol. And cards for child support benefits resemble credit cards, making it difficult for clerks to enforce such a law.
    "It perpetuates the stereotype that women on welfare are irresponsible and immoral and can't make appropriate decisions," said Carol Tracy, executive director of the Women's Law Project in Philadelphia.I don't see this to be the case. Last time I checked, the bill made no mention of gender...Carol Tracy sounds like a sexist bitch.
    But Reed says any welfare money used to buy alcohol means that less is available for those in need.
    "Taxpayers are generally pretty generous when folks are in need but get irritated quickly when they see these loopholes," Reed said. "It makes them more cynical in wanting to continue helping more folks. ... This bill is trying to correct that."
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't know about in Pennsylvania but here those are just a bunch of feelgood words. Our recepients just go to the ATM and withdraw their cash money like anyone else. Our state welfare system is a joke. A recepient just goes and buys groceries and trades them for alcohol. There is no way to police the welfare system without a desire to police the welfare system.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I'll drink to that (what ever it is).

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Sounds like a good plan to me. Cash assistance and food stamps are two separate things here...are they the same in Pennsylvania?
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I don't know about in Pennsylvania but here those are just a bunch of feelgood words. Our recepients just go to the ATM and withdraw their cash money like anyone else. Our state welfare system is a joke. A recepient just goes and buys groceries and trades them for alcohol. There is no way to police the welfare system without a desire to police the welfare system.
    yeah, people here have the "independence card" and they can pretty much use it to purchase whatever. i always love watching some asshole use his independence card to buy 10 DVD's, and then walk out into the parking lot and get into his Lexus, to drive home to his section 8 government housing. motherfuckers.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This bill is racist. It is a tool by the white man to oppress the minorities. They OWE the people their Escalade and Denalli for all the evil things done to them by the Bush and Reagan
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Thread Information