Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Chicago police: Chicago cops to be reviewed on attitude

The Chicago Police Department will begin evaluating its officers next year in a new way, examining not only officers' job performance but also their attitudes, ability to adapt and interactions with the public.

The department did away with its evaluation rating system about six years ago after complaints that it was too inconsistent and essentially a "popularity contest," Deputy Supt. of Patrol Daniel Dugan said.

Under the new system, officers will be judged on their accountability and dependability, problem-solving and decision-making, adaptability and responsiveness, communication with others and job knowledge and professional development.

A general order issued recently gave detailed examples. Officers who fail to spot a suspect in a vehicle stop or deal angrily with the public could be tagged with "requires improvement" or "unacceptable" marks. Officers could earn "exceeds expectations" marks for going out of their way to volunteer for extra assignments or for suggesting changes to improve current policies.

Other examples mention officers' attitudes toward department bosses or change -- a tenet sources say was included because of poor morale in the department. Dugan said that though attitude can affect officers' performances, the department is really trying to focus on getting officers to maintain professionalism.

"We're not asking everybody to go out and have a smile on their face every time," Dugan said. "Let's face facts. ... We see the underbelly of life and it has its toll. But we do expect officers to go out there and perform their job."

And while there's no mention of having to make a certain number of arrests or issue a certain number of tickets, officers could be judged for that too, if they're not addressing needs in their districts. As an example, Dugan cited issuing few traffic tickets in an area that has a high number of traffic crashes.

The ratings could have a real impact on officers' careers, even leading to termination for incompetence for the poorest performers.

Dugan said the new evaluation system will make evaluations fairer.

"Now the officers have some type of guidelines on what's expected of them and they'll know exactly what it is they're going to be evaluated for," Dugan said.

Dennis J. Kenney, a professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, said few departments create comprehensive performance evaluations because they find it difficult to define exactly what makes a good police officer. Though he applauded Chicago's effort, he said the department should be careful not to hold all officers -- from rookies to veterans -- to the same standard.

"Part of the problem with the sort of subject evaluation is the supervisors who are doing the evaluation see far too little of the officer to actually know what they do," Kenney said.

Mark Donahue, president of the Fraternal Order of Police, said the union objects to the evaluation system because it should be subject to collective bargaining.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't think this is going to help morale either. Sometimes the only way to deal with dirtbags is to be "rude" and "in their face". If that is going to cost me my job then I probably wouldn't even be proactive in the least. I would respond to calls and take paper and thats about it.

Every time I hear one of these stories I feel bad for the line guys in Chicago.

This part that says

Other examples mention officers' attitudes toward department bosses or change -- a tenet sources say was included because of poor morale in the department
    really scares me. So if you don't kiss your bosses ass the whole time your job is in jeapordy? Thats what it sounds like to me. I know the union was vocal about their distain for the brass.... maybe this is a way that the brass is trying to control it.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

213th is offline Solipsist
    i agree with PGG. YOu can't force morale to improve
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    That's about right, Five-0
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Hasn't the Chicago PD been through enough the last year or so?
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Maybe the Chicago Police Department should try a little "command respect" instead of "demand respect" and morale would approve. Take care of your people and your people will take care of you.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    An interesting take by some Chicago cops:

Second City Cop: Rating Attitude?

J-Fed can't wait to tell everyone he's actually going to rate us again:

• The Chicago Police Department will begin evaluating its officers next year in a new way, examining not only officers' job performance but also their attitudes, ability to adapt and interactions with the public.

The department did away with its evaluation rating system about six years ago after complaints that it was too inconsistent and essentially a "popularity contest," Deputy Supt. of Patrol Daniel Dugan said.

Popularity contest is an appropriate comparison we suppose. But how is this any better?

• A general order issued recently gave detailed examples. Officers who fail to spot a suspect in a vehicle stop or deal angrily with the public could be tagged with "requires improvement" or "unacceptable" marks. Officers could earn "exceeds expectations" marks for going out of their way to volunteer for extra assignments or for suggesting changes to improve current policies.

"Fail to spot a suspect"? How is this one going to be graded? Is Big Bird going to dress up in "suspect appropriate" clothing and walk out of nearby buildings as officers approach? If he's got time to do that, he's got time to apprehend the jagoff.

Or this?

• And while there's no mention of having to make a certain number of arrests or issue a certain number of tickets, officers could be judged for that too, if they're not addressing needs in their districts. As an example, Dugan cited issuing few traffic tickets in an area that has a high number of traffic crashes.

We smell a quota system. So does the FOP evidently:

• Mark Donahue, president of the Fraternal Order of Police, said the union objects to the evaluation system because it should be subject to collective bargaining.

Which is a polite way of saying, "See you at the arbitrator."

No word on how they rate the desk, front office or downtown people. If someone who has made a science out of attaching themselves to the career trajectory of a boss and not spending any time on the streets, how do they stack up against a southside cop handling 20 radio calls a night, a shooting and a domestic arrest? A northside traffic cop writing 10 movers and 50 parkers a shift? A westside cop handling 5 domestics, 12 stacked dope jobs and a backlog that started at 6am due to manpower shortages?

And has anyone looked into this computer system they're using? Some Texas company with big connections to the head of the schools. Or wasn't anyone supposed to know about that part of it?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Thread Information