Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Military Mom Refuses To Remove Flag From Window

Military Mom Refuses To Remove Flag From Window - News Story - WEWS Cleveland

CANTON, Ohio -- A military mother in Ohio vows she'll stand firm against her condo association's demand that she remove a flag from her window.

Marlene Gano of suburban Canton said her Blue Star flag will stay where it is until the war in Iraq is over and her son, 55-year-old Army Master Sgt. Richard Gano Jr., is home.

The flag, featuring a single blue star on a white background framed in a red border, has been displayed since World War I by families with members serving in war.

Gano received a letter May 1 from her condominium's management company saying the flag must go because the rules state that nothing may be displayed in windows. A representative of REM Commercial Association Management says many condo associations have a similar rule to keep units uniform.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
    Indeed.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    keep it up - and then sue their asses for infringing on her right to free speech and expression
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The association will win because when she bought the unit she signed a contract agreeing to abide by their rules. I hate condo and homeowners associations because they are often run by little Hitlers with nothing better to do than walk around the neighborhood with a ruler measuring the height of your grass.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I hate condo and homeowners associations because they are often run by little Hitlers with nothing better to do than walk around the neighborhood with a ruler measuring the height of your grass.
    i agree...but they can come in handy, like when youre neighbors grass needs to be measured with a yardstick. or when they want to paint their front door flourescent green, and add hot pink shutters. a well run HOA can keep the neighborhood uniformed, and looking good with little intrusion. mine doesnt really give anyone a problem, then again, everyones house and yard in my development is kept up very nicely. chicken or the egg?
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Terminator is offline BANNED
    The association will win because when she bought the unit she signed a contract agreeing to abide by their rules. I hate condo and homeowners associations because they are often run by little Hitlers with nothing better to do than walk around the neighborhood with a ruler measuring the height of your grass.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I suppose you *could* find a civil jury that would let the condo association win, but it would have to be in a blue state city.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Seriously! I hear horror stories all the time!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Don't people have better things to do with their time than bring a woman to court for having a Blue Star in her window!!! Give me a break. Patriotism takes another blow to the gut.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    I think tradition should win...the son is 55, it speaks well of him and her!
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    I hate condo and homeowners associations because they are often run by little Hitlers with nothing better to do than walk around the neighborhood with a ruler measuring the height of your grass.
    Hell, I got that in my next door neighbor and we are not in an association!!

I think they should leave her alone though, I cannot imagine the Flag is offensive in nature. If it were me I would let it fly, association and courts be damned.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Leave it up, then contact our favorite people "the media" to plaster their faces on the nightly news when they remove the flag...............
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I think you're right. I wonder if that HOA allows holiday decorations.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I refuse to live in a neighborhood with a HOA
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Thread Information