Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

“Dog the Bounty Hunter” chases fugitive and causes rollover crash; suspect escapes

Denver Legal News Examiner: ?Dog the Bounty Hunter? chases fugitive and causes rollover crash; suspect escapes

Duane “Dog” Chapman, star of the A&E reality show “Dog the Bounty Hunter,” was involved in a crash while following a suspect earlier this morning, according to the Colorado Springs Police Department. Chapman, the self-proclaimed “Greatest Bounty Hunter in the World,” and his television crew were chasing Kelly Murphy, 20, who is wanted for skipping bail on a felony narcotics violation. The chase led Murphy to crash and roll over his vehicle, at which point Chapman’s daughter, Lisa, called police. By the time police arrived, Murphy had fled the scene. Chapman and his crew then continued the search for Murphy, but they have not yet located him.

Colorado Springs is not a lucky town for the Denver-born Chapman. Just last week, charges were dropped against Hoang Nguyen, who had been accused of shooting at Chapman and fellow bondsman Bobby Brown on April 21st. Nguyen, a fugitive for failing to appear on charges of attempted second-degree murder and domestic violence, was eventually apprehended by Chapman. Conflicting witness statements and a lack of evidence led prosecutors to drop the charges for the reported shooting. This incident also took place during the filming of Dog’s show, although the alleged shooting was not caught on tape.

The reality television show “Dog the Bounty Hunter” tracks Chapman as he hunts down fugitives who have skipped bail. He has also written a book, You Can Run But You Can’t Hide (Hyperion, 2007). Chapman, a Colorado native, currently resides in Hawaii. A tagline on his website reads:

"If you're on the run, Dog is gonna get you."
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

GASheepdog is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    He should have been charged.
    Be kind, be courteous . . .

and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    What a jackass.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by GASheepdog View Post
    He should have been charged.
    Absolutely!

It amazes me that he hasn't gotten someone killed with his crap.

I don't have a problem with professional bail enforcement agents. The type who actually notify the police what's up, and have everything in order when they call a cop.

Unfortunately, they sure seem to be the exceptions. I like a pair that called us one day to arrest someone. They swore there was a court order on them out of Maryland. Nothing in NCIC. we even went so far as to call the courthouse that had supposedly issued the order. Nada. But I was supposed to hook this person on their say so... Yeah, right.

Or the idiot who caused a standoff in a no-tell motel until the tac team took him down with bean bag rounds...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm honestly suprised it took this long.

Morons
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Everytime he comes here there's a ton of drama. I'm glad I don't work the part of town where he normally is, but he ventures up to my area every once in a while.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Bounty hunting is about money and nothing else. Anyone who would put up money to allow the accused to get out and then lose that money is just shit out of luck in my opinion. Some of the people that he bonds or bails out are career criminals. It doesn't take a genius to figure they are not going to show up for court.
    Endangering the public to recover a target for his monetary gain is not acceptable. I say charge him too.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Absolutely, Lew.

In general I cannot STAND bail enforcers/bounty hunters. More than a few have given me the spiel about how we're on the same team, they're putting their lives on the line just like us, etc. I always like to remind them that if it weren't for them, these people would still be locked up waiting for their court proceedings in the first place. The Constitution guarantees that reasonable bail conditions be provided for by the court. It doesn't say that bail bondsman HAVE to put the surety up for anyone.

I would say we get a couple calls from bail enforcers a month. My watch CO thinks like I do. His belief, and he'll air it, is that they've got two choices. We can either respond in and arrest the fugitive (if there's a valid warrant in CCIC/NCIC) WITHOUT their assistance (so the surety goes back to the bail company IF the court grants it, and the enforcer collects NO bounty), or they can receive NO assistance from us whatsoever. They usually choose the latter option. The Sgt. tells dispatch to show us advised, close out the call as handled, and we don't even respond to the location. We'll come in later to mop up the shots fired if need be, but we will NOT assist bail enforcement. A good guy to work for.

The only time we've ever assisted the bonds people was with a fugitive child molester. They weren't enforcement types. They were an older couple who owned the company that actually put up the bail surety. We told them the deal that we would take custody, etc. They actually told us that it was fine. They did care about the money, but mostly they cared about the fact that their employee bailed the guy out in the first place. The couple was very apologetic, were real nice folks, who had standing orders to their employees that those accused of sex crimes would NOT be bailed out by their company. Apparently the employee disregarded the order and was terminated for it.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    UPDATE

COLORADO SPRINGS - News outlets in Colorado Springs are reporting that a reality television star and his crew took a wanted man into custody Tuesday hours after a rollover accident.

The Colorado Springs Gazette is reporting that Duane "Dog" Chapman, also known as Dog the Bounty Hunter, was in Colorado Springs Monday and Tuesday looking for Kelly Murphy.

Kelly was wanted on misdemeanor charges and had skipped out on bonds worth $6,000, according to the paper.

Concern grew early Tuesday morning when Murphy flipped his vehicle and some outlets reported that Dog had been involved.

The Gazette cites fellow bail bondsman Bobby Brown as saying that Murphy flipped his vehicle on his own and that no one in Dog's crew was involved in the crash.

Murphy was taken into custody at 2 p.m. to the El Paso County jail where he remains without bond, according to the paper.
    9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Reports: 'Dog the Bounty Hunter' catches Springs suspect
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I know a former Bail Bondsman/Bounty Hunter originally from Colorado who employed Chapman years and years ago. (he was also friends with Bobby Brown) He told me Chapman is a real asshole and spent his off hours stealing cars. The guy is nothing but a criminal who thinks he's a bigshot. Every time I've had the misfortune to land on the channel his show is on I just have to laugh at him and his grotesque wife.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I work with a couple of guys that actually got into big arguments with Dog because we got called for one reason or another and Dog didn't want us to take custody of the suspect, he wanted to take the guy in himself, and we weren't going to let that happen once we got on scene.

I haven't personally gone on a call involving him yet, but I'm sure it'll happen.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    I work with a couple of guys that actually got into big arguments with Dog because we got called for one reason or another and Dog didn't want us to take custody of the suspect, he wanted to take the guy in himself, and we weren't going to let that happen once we got on scene.

I haven't personally gone on a call involving him yet, but I'm sure it'll happen.
    Why any big argument?

Hey Mr. convicted felon - GTFO or go to jail for obstruction!

Hey Mr. convicted felon - move or be moved!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    He is a fucking tool.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Why any big argument?

Roger that. Can't that thing called the law be so helpful sometimes?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Why any big argument?

Yeah, he and Tits Mcgee, the little wannabe MMA fighter, and the rest of the trailerpark crew would be having their little prayer-fest in Holding 3.

Fuck that.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    Absolutely, Lew.

In general I cannot STAND bail enforcers/bounty hunters. More than a few have given me the spiel about how we're on the same team, they're putting their lives on the line just like us, etc. I always like to remind them that if it weren't for them, these people would still be locked up waiting for their court proceedings in the first place. The Constitution guarantees that reasonable bail conditions be provided for by the court. It doesn't say that bail bondsman HAVE to put the surety up for anyone.

I would say we get a couple calls from bail enforcers a month. My watch CO thinks like I do. His belief, and he'll air it, is that they've got two choices. We can either respond in and arrest the fugitive (if there's a valid warrant in CCIC/NCIC) WITHOUT their assistance (so the surety goes back to the bail company IF the court grants it, and the enforcer collects NO bounty), or they can receive NO assistance from us whatsoever. They usually choose the latter option. The Sgt. tells dispatch to show us advised, close out the call as handled, and we don't even respond to the location. We'll come in later to mop up the shots fired if need be, but we will NOT assist bail enforcement. A good guy to work for.

The only time we've ever assisted the bonds people was with a fugitive child molester. They weren't enforcement types. They were an older couple who owned the company that actually put up the bail surety. We told them the deal that we would take custody, etc. They actually told us that it was fine. They did care about the money, but mostly they cared about the fact that their employee bailed the guy out in the first place. The couple was very apologetic, were real nice folks, who had standing orders to their employees that those accused of sex crimes would NOT be bailed out by their company. Apparently the employee disregarded the order and was terminated for it.
    Unless I am over ruled by my Lt. I handle bounty calls and vehicle repossessions the same way. Good call IMO.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I've never liked Dog. Why the hell was he pursuing someone in a vehicle, anyway?!

I met a pair of bounty hunters in my area a couple weeks ago. I laughed at the sight of them as they were a father and son team who looked just like Dog and his crew! Ponytails, bandanas, badges on chain necklaces across their chests...hilarious!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm seriously surprised more of them aren't killed stuffing the wrong door.

"I don't need a warrant because of this old law, man..."

"Boom, wrong house asshole."
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There was a time when I had a fairly positive opinion of the bail bondsmen whom I dealt with (at a previous department). These guys had a (albeit unwritten) code about them, in that they never (and I do mean, never) bonded anyone who had a history of violence against the police including current charges, baby-rapers, or cases where the party could easily been considered a threat to a victim or witnesses. Those bondsmen and their chasers were granted courtesy by our officers in that when they had a skip to take down, we would stand by for containment purposes only (or to make sure nothing got out of hand). This was some time ago, admittedly.

Now, I haven't really had much use for bondsmen or chasers, but I consider each on their own merits. The chaser has a power to work off of that I as an LEO do not. If he's a pro, he won't often want my help anyway, since he has a distinct advantage, legally.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    In other mall ninja hygiene test washout news...

Pursuit ends with bail bondsmen in custody, woman in hospital

Snippet of their brilliance :

Police said her (the woman driving the skip around) maroon Dodge truck was rammed by the two trucks being driven by bail bondsmen. Her vehicle ended up in the lot at Bank of America, and she fell from the truck.

Both trucks with bail bondsmen in them fled the scene after the woman was run over. A citizen followed one of them, Speer said.

Police pulled one truck over a few blocks from the bank and took two of the bail bondsmen into custody. The second truck used in the pursuit was found in a residential area, Speer said, but the driver had fled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information