Welcome to the APBWeb.
    k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO

Critics blast Milwaukee cops over serial killings

Within a 3-square-mile area of Milwaukee's north side an unknown man strangled six women police say were prostitutes between 1986 and 2007. But it wasn't until this past week that the city's top cop said recent DNA tests had linked the killings.
    Some people in the community, including the women's' families, wonder why it took police so long to discover the DNA link, and whether some officers' biases against the victims' lifestyles and race kept them from focusing their attention on the crimes.
    "Crack whores," is how some officers in past decades referred to prostitutes, said LaVerne McCoy, who retired as a sergeant in January after 25 years in the Milwaukee Police Department.

"They are forgetting that crimes are being committed and this person is continuing to do this because of our attitudes about the victim and that's what our priorities should be: Get this murdering criminal off the street," McCoy said.
    Suspicions of a serial killer had swirled for years. A 1997 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article said then-Chief Arthur Jones assigned officers to investigate strangulations of women on the north side after Joyce Mims was found dead in a vacant house.
    Last Monday, Police Chief Ed Flynn said DNA tests in the past couple of weeks had linked her death and at least five others to the same unknown man. He said the suspect's DNA was found on a 16-year-old runaway whose throat was slashed, but that someone else likely killed her.
    The district attorney, FBI and state agents now are all investigating, but have released little information.
    All the victims were black except the teen, who was white. Their ages ranged from 16 to 41.
    Police have submitted or resubmitted DNA samples from more than 20 other unsolved homicides to the state's crime lab to see if they are related.
    Relatives of at least two victims think racism hampered investigators. And at least one former prostitute and an organization that helps prostitutes think classism played a role.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Interesting post, K-9Max. Been there and done that. Worked the Green River Task Force for 4 years and a number of other serial crimes that were high profile here but maybe not so much elsewhere. Also worked one in New Orleans for Justice that prompted me to think of writting a book ( I won't) because the investigation was so bizarre.

The media and community heat is pretty much a given anytime you have a crime like this. Too bad they didn't jump on it sooner though. My sheriff was once told by a former mayor and police chief of a major northwest city that they "didn't" have a serial going on in their city even though we could prove it. There are all kinds of things that go into getting such a case off the ground. I once wrote a rather lengthy paper on how to get such an investigation going and how to manage it. I think that I submitted it to O/R for publication but it never made the cut I guess.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    I once wrote a rather lengthy paper on how to get such an investigation going and how to manage it. I think that I submitted it to O/R for publication but it never made the cut I guess.

Car 4
    Email it to me and it's on the front page! xiphos at officerresource.com

I would love to put that up!
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    i thought you were a part of that back in the day car4.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Thread Information