Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Trooper pulls over Ambulance en route to Hospital with a patient, arrests EMS worker

This is long, so I apologize beforehand. I wanted to get as much information posted as possible.

I know we all weren't there, and there are some pieces missing, but there are some things that bother me about this story.

If the call that OHP was en route to, was so critical, why was OHP only running lights and no siren? Maybe I am missing something here because I am not in LE.

Was the Ambulance running lights and or siren? The articles do not mention this.

Why wasn't there better or more radio communication between the agencies? One of the articles mentions that an officer admonished the driver of the Ambulance to check his mirrors better, over the radio? Could the Ambulance have been forewarned that there was an urgent call for OHP in progress and be given priority?

Why did OHP choose to continue to hash this out on the side of the road when they were repeatedly advised that the Ambulance had a patient in back needing medical attention and that the Ambulance was en route to a Hospital? Couldn't this be taken care of there?

Why were there so many members of the patients family in tow behind the Ambulance, thus adding to the confusion of the incident?

Then to throw this in to the equation, the Ambulance Company is employed by an Indian Reservation? Which can present its own problems so I am told?

Am I getting too caught up in this article?

Statements from both EMT's and a witness.

http://static.ktul.com/documents/emtstatement_0509.pdf

http://static.ktul.com/documents/fra...ement_0509.pdf

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/griff...nessletter.pdf

VIDEO

EMT Could Face Charges After Incident With Trooper|NewsChannel 8

EMT Could Face Charges After Incident With Trooper
    posted 05/27/09 3:30 pm

Paden - A paramedic could face charges after a scuffle with a state trooper that was caught on cell phone camera.

It happened Sunday near Paden in Okfuskee County. That's about 70 miles southwest of Tulsa.

Kenyada Davis' mother was being transported in the ambulance and recorded the incident on his cell phone camera.

"This highway patrolman pulled over my mom's ambulance because he was mad we didn't pull over and he's trying to arrest the EMT from taking my mother to the hospital," Davis is seen saying on the recording.

Davis continues to record as first, one trooper can be seen talking to one of the paramedics. A couple of minutes later, another trooper is seen confronting another paramedic and attempting to arrest him. The paramedic can be seen shoving the trooper at which time the scuffle breaks out.

Maurice White, Jr. is the critical care paramedic seen in the video. In a statement, White says the trooper was upset because the ambulance driver didn't yield when the trooper approached from behind. White says the ambulance driver, Paul Franks, didn't see the trooper.

The trooper pulled Franks over and was going to write a citation for failure to yield, but White says he tried to tell them they were on an emergency call and needed to take the patient to the hospital and that's when the trooper attempted to arrest White for obstructing an officer.

A brief struggle followed, at which point the trooper grabbed White by the throat. Davis' cell phone captured this incident on video. White says the trooper later told him they could continue on to the hospital, but that he would be under arrest once they got there. White was never arrested, but says troopers told him he should be prepared to turn himself in if a warrant was issued.

The district attorney in Okfuskee County is expected to take a look at the video and may file charges as soon as this week.

EMT In Confrontation With Trooper Speaks Out|NewsChannel 8

EMT In Confrontation With Trooper Speaks Out
    posted 05/27/09 2:58 pm

Watch video of the confrontation An Emergency Medical Technician who was involved in a scuffle with an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper is speaking out about the incident.

Maurice White, Jr. is a critical care paramedic with the Creek Nation EMS. He was nearly arrested after the confrontation, which was captured by the cell phone of Kenyada Davis.

Paul Franks was the driver of the ambulance, which was transporting a patient to a hospital in Prague.

White says he saw the trooper approaching from behind at a high rate of speed with lights activated, but he did not hear a siren. He says Franks had a car in front of him that his attention was focused on and hadn't seen the trooper before he was within a few feet of the ambulance.

"I called out to my partner and told him to pull to the side because there was a State Trooper behind us," White says.

White says as the trooper passed them, he made radio contact, telling Franks "you should consider checking your rearview mirrors".

White says a few blocks after this incident, another trooper entered the road at a high rate of speed, cutting in front of a car driven by a family member of the patient. White says he then saw another trooper approaching from the rear.

"As my partner was pulling onto the shoulder, the cruiser came alongside our unit and gestured for my driver to pull over," White says. "When the officer came to a complete stop behind the ambulance, I noticed a woman in the front seat. Based on the officer's erratic driving behavior, I thought that the woman in the front seat of the cruiser was in need of immediate medical attention; hence I exited the rear of the ambulance in order to assess the situation."

White says the officer was in a rage when he approached them and yelled "get your a-- back here! I am giving you a ticket for failure to yield." White says he told the trooper they had a patient in the ambulance and that they were on their way to the hospital.

"He ignored my statement, became even more belligerent, and demanded my partner come to his patrol car so he could write him a ticket," White says. "I calmly told the officer that we were transporting a patient and we could continue this at the hospital."

White says the trooper then approached him and shouted "you are under arrest for obstructing a police officer" and grabbed his arm to handcuff him. A brief struggle followed, at which point the trooper grabbed White by the throat. The cell phone captured this incident on video.

White says the trooper later told him they could continue on to the hospital, but that he would be under arrest once they got there. White was never arrested, but says troopers told him he should be prepared to turn himself in if a warrant was issued.

Witness Says Trooper May Need Anger Management|NewsChannel 8

Witness Says Trooper May Need Anger Management
    05/28/09 4:38 pm

Paden - A witness has come forward to share her view of a struggle between a state trooper and a critical care paramedic.

The video of the confrontation is generating tremendous public interest. NewsChannel 8 spoke with Diane Walkup, a woman who saw the whole thing unfold in front of her.

Walkup sat there, stuck in traffic, watching an unbelievable sight unfold right before her eyes.
    "I was horrified," she says. "I couldn't believe it."

Diane had just visited the Paden Cemetery when she drove up on what has now become an infamous scene played out on not only local, but national television.

"He said 'we've got a lady in here we need to transport to the hospital'," Walkup says. "The officer said 'I'm going to arrest you for obstruction of justice'."

Caught in the crossfire of the exchange was the family of the woman in the ambulance.

"The husband of the woman was in the ambulance pleading 'sir, please, please let them take my wife to the hospital'," Walkup says. "The sister was begging and the officer was paying no attention to them. The patrolman paid no attention to the family at all."

Diane says the EMT's were just trying to do their jobs and says the trooper was angry.

"You could tell he was very angry," she says.

So much so, she thinks he may need some anger management.

"He treated the family horribly," Walkup says. "I think he treated the EMT's bad. It just really soured me."

Diane says she has always has the utmost respect for the highway patrol. But now?

"It kinda makes me scared that if one of them ever tries to stop me, I may do something that might make them mad."

The highway patrol tells News Channel 8 the incident remains under administrative review. But, the trooper in question is still on regular duty.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Lets hear from SPD, He knows this guy
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    who pulls over an ambulance en route to the hospital with a sick/injured subject? at some point discretion and common sense should overcome ego's and enforcement. a healthy mix is best. but i wasnt there. im curious to hear more on this.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Lots of stupid egos and lacking of common sense on both sides here, it appears.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Lots of stupid egos and lacking of common sense on both sides here, it appears.
    oh i agree with that, but from what i see it should have never been an issue from the start. let the ambo get to the hospital, in many cases time is limited and extra seconds taken can be critical.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    oh i agree with that, but from what i see it should have never been an issue from the start. let the ambo get to the hospital, in many cases time is limited and extra seconds taken can be critical.
    I absolutely agree.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

UPDATE: The Troopers side of the story.

Tulsa World: Video: Trooper tells his version of event

Trooper tells his version of event
    He thought the ambulance driver gave him the finger.

By MANNY GAMALLO World Staff Writer
    Published: 6/2/2009 2:22 AM
    Last Modified: 6/2/2009 8:58 AM

OKLAHOMA CITY A perceived obscene finger gesture apparently sparked a May 24 confrontation and scuffle between a state trooper and paramedic in Okfuskee County.

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol on Monday released reports from two troopers involved in the incident with Creek Nation paramedics who were taking a woman to the hospital in Prague.

In his report, Trooper Daniel Martin, who is at the center of the confrontation, said he was heading west into Paden to aid the Okfuskee County Sheriff's Office on a stolen-vehicle call.

Martin said he had his emergency lights and siren on when he encountered the ambulance in front of him, which failed to yield to his cruiser.

Eventually, the ambulance pulled over, he said, and he contacted the paramedics over their EMS radio, telling them they should be more observant.

The ambulance was not running with its emergency lights or siren.

Up to this point, Martin's account mostly jibes with reports filed by paramedics Maurice White Jr. and his partner, Paul Franks, who was driving the ambulance.

However, the paramedics reported they never heard the trooper's siren.

In his report, White said Franks threw up his hands in surprise when they received the radio call from Martin, urging them to check their rear-view mirrors.

White said he thinks the trooper might have mistaken Franks' hands in the air as an obscene finger gesture.

Once on the scene of the stolen-car report in Paden, Martin said he saw the ambulance pass and observed Franks extend his left hand out the window with his middle finger raised.

"I took the gesture as a sign of defiance to (the) failure to yield earlier, and that they (ambulance) did not believe they had a responsibility to adhere to the rules of the road in regards to my emergency vehicle," Martin said.

Seeing that the stolen-car call was under control, Martin said, he chased the ambulance until it pulled over.

Once he got out of his cruiser, he was trying to talk to Franks when he saw White get out of the ambulance and slam the "door in a hostile manner."

Martin said White kept getting between them, despite repeatedly being told by Martin to back off.

The trooper told Franks he was going to be cited for failure to yield, adding that "I did not appreciate his hand gesture."

White said the trooper bolted out of his car in a huff and yelled at Franks, "What do you mean flipping me off?"

White said he tried to explain to the trooper that they were taking a woman to the hospital and asked if they could continue the matter once they got there.

But White said the trooper would have none of it and insisted on giving Franks a ticket then.

However, Martin said White kept getting in his way, and he finally tried to arrest him for obstructing an officer. That sparked the first of two scuffles as Martin said he tried to arrest White but the paramedic threw up his arms to resist.

A number of relatives of the patient had followed the ambulance and were in the street.

Fearing possible violence, Martin said he backed away from White and then went to his cruiser to radio Trooper Bryan Iker for help.

The trooper said only when White got back into the ambulance was he able to speak with Franks. Martin said Franks assured him he did not give the trooper the finger gesture and apologized for not yielding.

The trooper then walked back to the ambulance and tried to tell White he would be arrested once he arrived at the hospital, but the paramedic was not in the ambulance with the patient.

Martin said he walked around to the passenger side of the ambulance where White was standing. White was angry, wanting to file charges against the trooper for assaulting a paramedic, he said.

Another scuffle ensued, and Martin said White grabbed him around the neck, refusing to let go.

Iker's report backs up Martin's account of the second scuffle.

Martin said he applied a choke hold on White's neck to release the grip. With White calmed down, Martin said he told the paramedics to go to the hospital and he would follow.

Martin said that if he were allowed to speak with Franks uninterrupted, the confrontation would not have happened.

As it was, Franks was ultimately given a written warning for failure to yield. White was not arrested at the hospital.

The troopers filed their information with Maxey Reilly, assistant district attorney in Okfuskee County, for possible charges. Reilly has forwarded the case to District Attorney Max Cook for review.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Umm yeah

Someone was having a bad day. I am glad everyone around here is pretty grounded. Our Police Fire and EMS jive well, even with other agencies, lots of curtisy waves in our parts
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Soo, umm, who are charges going to be filed on, the EMT or the Trooper? Seems like public apologies to the family from both participants would calm alot of this down. I think they were both wrong. The Trooper should not have pulled over the ambulance, he should have followed it to the hospital and then straightened out the situation and White should not have gotten out of the ambulance and interferred at all. It seems that the driver was handling the situation from the start.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    Soo, umm, who are charges going to be filed on, the EMT or the Trooper? Seems like public apologies to the family from both participants would calm alot of this down. I think they were both wrong. The Trooper should not have pulled over the ambulance, he should have followed it to the hospital and then straightened out the situation and White should not have gotten out of the ambulance and interferred at all. It seems that the driver was handling the situation from the start.
    Where were you when they were in need of adult supervision? If I got that mad every time someone failed to yield to my emergency lights and sirens my butt would be on death row by now.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Where were you when they were in need of adult supervision? If I got that mad every time someone failed to yield to my emergency lights and sirens my butt would be on death row by now.
    +1
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Thread Information