Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

New "anti-prison" lives up to its name as inmate escapes day after opening

Sources said Monday afternoon that the youth who escaped Saturday from the New Beginnings Youth Center in Laurel, Md. -- embarrassing the $45 million juvenile facility that just opened on Friday -- finally was recaptured Monday.
    The sources said the juvenile was found in northeast Washington by a youth rehabilitation department employee. The juvenile is now back in custody with D.C. Police.
    The New Beginnings Youth Center in Laurel, Md., was described as an "anti-prison" in many of the warm and fuzzy stories written about it leading up to its opening on Friday. How apropos, because how can it be a prison if it can't keep the inmates inside.
    On Saturday the kid escaped by scaling a fence. It appears officials knew that fencing would be a problem, according to the Washington Post. The old Oak Hill facility had razor wire on its fence, but that wasn't part of the new home. It turned out to be a bad move.

A day before the facility opened, Schiraldi and David Muhammad, chief of committed services, said they had brought in young men to try to scale the fences and made modifications based on what they observed. Schiraldi said he planned to place prickly shrubbery, possibly rose bushes, near the fence so inmates would not be tempted to flee.
    Prickly shrubbery? Something tells us the kids in this facility have seen far worse in their lives than a little prickly shrubbery.
    So after Saturday's escape, razor wire was added to the new facility's fence.
    So much for the anti-prison.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    How about electrifying that razor wire fence. That might work.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Uhhhh......

Nevermind. I got nothing.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Ruffy is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    Heck my jail is out side... and in it I have electric fences and tons of razor and barbwire... think they might want to add some there
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Shake and Bake>

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    this is classic maryland for you
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Thread Information