Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

6 Jacksonville police officers fired only one day after receving them, for conduct unbecoming an officer

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Six rookie Jacksonville police officers were recently fired, stripped of their badges only one day after receiving them.

The officers had been sworn in as probationary officers on Thursday. They were kicked off the force Friday. The specific allegations against them are not yet known.
    According to statement from Jacksonville Sheriff's Office's director of personnel and professional standards Rick Lewis, an internal investigation was launched "based on a single complaint made by a recruit, alleging improper conduct."
    He stated that in the course of the initial investigation it became clear that the incident first reported might not be the only occurrence in that recruit class, and the JSO Internal Affairs Unit was called to investigate.
    As a result of the investigation, Lewis recommended that Sheriff John Rutherford separate six recruits from service. The six were fired on Friday on charges of conduct unbecoming an officer.
    Although the internal investigation has been completed with the agency and has become public record, JSO told Channel 4 the documents were not available for immediate release to the public but may be available on Wednesday.
    Fraternal Order of Police President Nelson Cuba said typical recruits train for at least six months and the sheriff's offices spends a minimum of $50,000-$60,000 per person to train the recruits.
    Cuba said he has not been privy to the information surrounding the investigation, but he said the Fraternal Order of Police would be heavily involved in helping the recruits if what he has heard turns out to be true.
    "It is unfortunate that we had to take this action. Our standards of integrity, honesty and excellence will not be compromised, especially as we work with men and women to train them to protect and serve the community," Lewis said in a written statement.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It would be nice if they let us all know what the hell they did to warrant dismissal. Sounds like the FOP is going to have its hands full.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Sounds like the graduation party might have gone a little overboard maybe? Who knows?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    WOW!! They are idiots.

Recruits Fired For 'Unbecoming Conduct' - Jacksonville- msnbc.com

Recruits Fired For 'Unbecoming Conduct'

Complainant, 5 Others Fired After Internal Affairs Investigation

WJXT-TV
    updated 13 minutes ago

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Allegations of sexual jokes, harassment and inappropriate touching by a female police recruit substantiated by an internal affairs investigation led to the firings of six rookie officers -- including the woman who filed the complaint.

The six officers were sworn in as probationary officers on Thursday. On Friday, they were dismissed after an investigation of sexual harassment at the police academy sustained charges of unbecoming conduct.

Police began investigating after Recruit Holly Ward complained about the behavior of eight classmates during their training at the police academy.

After the investigation, Sheriff John Rutherford followed the recommendation that six of the recruits -- including Ward -- be terminated

In addition to Ward, Recruits M.F. Gresham, D.J. John, J.R. Adams, T.J. Brown and T. J. Reimer were terminated.

According to the internal affairs' report, Ward told investigators of a number of instances of harassment that began in November, but she did not report it for six months.

In one instance, Ward said that during physical training on how to overcome an attacker, a male recruit squeezed both her breasts.

Ward told detectives that one male recruit once said: "She knows her place; she's a woman; she's aware."

Later on the gun range, Ward said she was asked if her husband knew about a relationship with a fellow recruit and was told, "Everybody knows about everything." He then told her that someone paid him $5 to ask her that question.

Ward is separated from her husband. Other recruits told investigators that Ward had admitted to having an affair with a married classmate at the police academy.

One officer told investigators, "The sheriff came in to speak to the their class one day and he was talking about having integrity. The sheriff said to them if they were to cheat on their spouse how could he trust them, at which point several classmates mumbled "mmm--hmm" in attempt to make a silent statement about Ward."

Some of those investigated by internal affairs admitted to various levels of joking around -- one said making "smart ass" statements to Ward -- but also said she was open about her sexual activities and had flirted with some of her fellow recruits.

In a sworn statement, one recruit told investigators that Ward brought photos of herself in a bikini and topless and showed them to classmates.

During the defensive tactics exercise, a different recruit said Ward told him: "It's OK, you can touch my boobs. It's no problem."

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Damn. Did they recruit high school kids or something?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Romans 13:4
    For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I may the minority on this, but it sounds like six stupid people will no longer be wearing badges. It sounds like they should have been let go long before graduation from the academy too.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    I tried to upload the internal report, but failed. The way I see it, when a department requires a four year degree, and no life experience, you end up getting some children on the street. You get out of high school, go to college, drink and party and come home, go the academy, and become a police officer. Some of them are still kids, and even though they meet the requirements, that doesn't mean they are ready to be the police.

The Sheriff is very big on integrity, as well we all should be. With that said, some of the best officers on the street have had extra marital affairs, been divorced, etc... Yes, cheating on one’s spouse is against the law. But the heart has no boundaries, and people do what people do. We are all people too. I'd love to say that I'm a saint and never done anything wrong, but I'd be lying. I think we all would. Maybe there are a few officers out there that are perfect, but I don't know one.

I tell recruits and rookies the same thing I was told when I went to Paris Island. Do what you're told. Keep your mouth shut, and try to be invisible, and when you are out of boot camp, the academy, and you've done your FTO training and finished your year probation, then you can talk and have an opinion. Until then, follow my three rules. Everybody you work with or come in contact with should be a Ma'm or a Sir. You'll have plenty of time to create your image after you've done your time as a FNG.

I know what they did, and I know the whole story, both written and by eye witnesses. Some of those fired (they did not lose their state certification, just their job with JSO) will make good officers in the future. Some should find a different line of work. They know who they are. We are shorthanded, and we are losing experienced officers every month to retirement. We are filling the holes as quickly as possible. We have been lucky to get some officers from other departments. We have some excellent ex military joining the ranks. We will continue to be a Five Star Accredited Agency, and strive to be an example to other departments. With 1600 officers, this is just a small, unfortunate setback, and we will get through it.
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JSO85360 View Post
    I tried to upload the internal report, but failed. The way I see it, when a department requires a four year degree, and no life experience, you end up getting some children on the street. You get out of high school, go to college, drink and party and come home, go the academy, and become a police officer. Some of them are still kids, and even though they meet the requirements, that doesn't mean they are ready to be the police.

i couldnt agree with this more.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Yes, cheating on one’s spouse is against the law.
    Really???? There's a law in Florida forbidding extra-marital affairs? Just sex, or do other things constitute a violation of the law?

I guess that's cool though. Give even more reason, other than one's supposed love, to not cheat on one's spouse.

BTW, how much does your dept. pay? hehehe If things continue to go to shit here, we may have about 27 officers looking for jobs.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    Really???? There's a law in Florida forbidding extra-marital affairs? Just sex, or do other things constitute a violation of the law?

I guess that's cool though. Give even more reason, other than one's supposed love, to not cheat on one's spouse.

BTW, how much does your dept. pay? hehehe If things continue to go to shit here, we may have about 27 officers looking for jobs.

Same here in NC. In fact, it is probably with a lot of the southern states. And officers do get fired over it here.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO

It's still illegal in Virginia, too:
    Fornication
    Adultery
    Lewd & Lascivious cohabitation
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Wow.

The not saying anything for six months is rather telling to me.

Verified LEO

Salary - $36,628; $38,556 after training; $40,752 after successful completion of one year of service from date of hire.
    Police Recruiters:
    JSORecruiter@jaxsheriff.org
    (904) 713-4870
    Northeast Florida Criminal Justice Training and Education Center
    4715 Capper Road
    Jacksonville, FL 32218

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.

The 2008 Florida Statutes

CHAPTER 798
    ADULTERY; COHABITATION
    798.01 Living in open adultery.
    798.02 Lewd and lascivious behavior.
    798.01 Living in open adultery.--Whoever lives in an open state of adultery shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. Where either of the parties living in an open state of adultery is married, both parties so living shall be deemed to be guilty of the offense provided for in this section.
    History.--s. 1, ch. 1986, 1874; RS 2595; GS 3518; RGS 5406; CGL 7549; s. 772, ch. 71-136.
    798.02 Lewd and lascivious behavior.--If any man and woman, not being married to each other, lewdly and lasciviously associate and cohabit together, or if any man or woman, married or unmarried, engages in open and gross lewdness and lascivious behavior, they shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    History.--s. 6, ch. 1637, 1868; RS 2596; GS 3519; RGS 5407; CGL 7550; s. 773, ch. 71-136.
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Geesh JSO...for being such a darn big dept in a pretty good sized city..you all dont pay much. Or maybe that is for new recruits and not already certified officers with experience. I think I'll stay down here in po-dunk for awhile.

And I lived by the dont talk or offer an opinion rules for the first year...I am sure there are those that wish I still did.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Verified LEO
    It's actually the best paying agency around the NE part of FL. But you're right, it still isn't enough, especially for the educational requirements needed to even get an interview. There could be some officers out there with 10 years experience, but very little or no college, and they couldn't even get through the door. There is some special acceptance deals where if you have four years police/military, and sixty credits (non-specific), you can apply. Most of the guys make their money working 10-60 jobs, or overtime. It's a five 12 hour days five off, four 12 days four off cycle, so you have plenty of time to work extra jobs. I know some guys that make more money doing 10-60 then they make with their regular paycheck.

On another note, three police involved shootings in as many weeks. Public crys" JSO is out of control". When there are no police involved shootings, just civilians shooting each other, they scream "where is JSO when we need them". Pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And you're not mean! And I'm definitely not a sissy!
    The six o'clock rule

Bruce Thomason

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    On another note, three police involved shootings in as many weeks. Public crys" JSO is out of control". When there are no police involved shootings, just civilians shooting each other, they scream "where is JSO when we need them". Pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Well, that's about normal. You just cant please the public...someone is going to complain about SOMETHING.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Salary - $36,628; $38,556 after training; $40,752 after successful completion of one year of service from date of hire.
    Police Recruiters:
    JSORecruiter@jaxsheriff.org
    (904) 713-4870
    Northeast Florida Criminal Justice Training and Education Center
    4715 Capper Road
    Jacksonville, FL 32218

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.

The 2008 Florida Statutes

CHAPTER 798
    ADULTERY; COHABITATION
    798.01 Living in open adultery.
    798.02 Lewd and lascivious behavior.
    798.01 Living in open adultery.--Whoever lives in an open state of adultery shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. Where either of the parties living in an open state of adultery is married, both parties so living shall be deemed to be guilty of the offense provided for in this section.
    History.--s. 1, ch. 1986, 1874; RS 2595; GS 3518; RGS 5406; CGL 7549; s. 772, ch. 71-136.
    798.02 Lewd and lascivious behavior.--If any man and woman, not being married to each other, lewdly and lasciviously associate and cohabit together, or if any man or woman, married or unmarried, engages in open and gross lewdness and lascivious behavior, they shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    History.--s. 6, ch. 1637, 1868; RS 2596; GS 3519; RGS 5407; CGL 7550; s. 773, ch. 71-136.
    Thanks for the info. Yeah the pay ain't all that great. Would be a pay cut at the same time as having a higher cost of living. Not a good combo. How do the statutes define adultery though? Intercourse? Oral? Kissing? Hugging? Hand holding? Going out to dinner? Etc... Also, what do they consider "open and gross lewdness"? Is that just talking about sex in public? Also the way it sounds....if a man and woman don't cohabit, then they can be lewd and lascivious? Or is there a separate statute for that? Is that saying that an unmarried couple living together cant have sex? Sorry for all the questions. It doesn't apply to me anyway but I'm just curious about it.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Thread Information