Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Dreamboat files lawsuit against Match.com after realizing all his witty emails that weren't getting a response were going to inactive profiles

Oh, the heartache!
    A Brooklyn man sued Match.com yesterday for inflicting "humiliation and disappointment" on lonely hearts "who feel rejected when their e-mails get no reply."
    Sean McGinn alleges the popular matchmaking Web site dangles phony date bait by posting profiles of people who no longer subscribe to its $39.99-a-month service.
    As a result, lovelorn singles have been "defrauded" out of millions of dollars and countless hours spent sending heartfelt missives in vain, the 37-year-old TV producer says.
    Most members of Match.com -- which claims 86 million searches a month in the United States -- are actually unavailable because they "are canceled subscribers or never subscribed at all," according to his suit filed in Manhattan federal court.
    The class-action complaint doesn't specify damages, but says they exceed $5 million.
    McGinn is also demanding that the Internet's biggest dating site "cease and desist its deceptive practices," which he claims are "willfully causing emotional harm to the consumer and social harm to society at large."
    "Match's policy causes severe emotional distress and anxiety for some [subscribers], including those who keep writing e-mails to one member after another and never hear back because he/she is writing to people who've canceled," his suit says.
    "Because the writer has no way of knowing this, he or she may experience profound personal anguish, suffering which is easily preventable by Match."
    The suit also alleges that "Match induces canceled members to log in . . . creating the appearance that inactive members are active" by sending bogus BlackBerry notifications that read, "Someone has winked back at you."
    McGinn declined to comment, but in an ironic twist, his lawyer said McGinn "met someone he's happy with" through the site.
    "We're not saying that Match doesn't provide a valuable service, but they don't have to misrepresent what they're offering you," attorney Norah Hart said.
    About 15 other disgruntled Match.com users are lined up to join the case, she said.
    McGinn's suit is the latest in a series of fraud allegations lodged against Dallas-based Match.com and other social-networking sites.
    A 2005 suit accused Match.com -- owned by media mogul Barry Diller's IAC Corp. -- of sending a female employee out on a date with a male subscriber to keep him signed up.
    Match.com didn't respond to a request for comment.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    stop your crying. why cant you just get drunk in a bar and bring home some fat skank like the rest of us?
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    stop your crying. why cant you just get drunk in a bar and bring home some fat skank like the rest of us?
    Because most of the aforementioned women have better taste than to go home with him?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Because most of the aforementioned women have better taste than to go home with him?
    There are ALWAYS options. Standards just have to be lowered
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I used to work for one-and-only.com, which Match.com bought out.

They were not the most ethical people in the world... One year, they had a party featuring all the people who got married to sweethearts that they met over the web site... They even invited the news media for this big bash.

Well, none of the newlyweds showed up, so the managers asked employees to get their spouses up there PRONTO, and pose as people who met online. I told them I wasn't gonna do it, and went home after work instead of staying for the party. I got fired not too many weeks after that, over something I thought was stupid, that NO ONE had ever gotten fired over before (releasing an emergency patch on the weekend which I had worked on all Saturday night - I was really supposed to wait till Monday). I always wondered if not going to the party was the real reason I got fired.

I applied at Match.com a few years later, and they told me that my records were marked "do not rehire". I inquired why and tried to get a copy of what they said about me, but the HR lady would only tell me that it was "really really bad". I was going WTF is that all about and she wouldn't tell me.

Oh well, good riddance. I didn't like working there anyway.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    + 1 for integrity. I could not work for a place that pulled that kind of crap. Sounds like you couldn't either.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    See Wolven, you should have returned that guy's e-mails. Now look what you have gone and did...
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ex401mp View Post
    See Wolven, you should have returned that guy's e-mails. Now look what you have gone and did...
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Wolven, you cougar you.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Thread Information