Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Gun grab

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

Gun grab

Crash suspect goes for gun

What started as a single-vehicle car crash on Interstate 80 in Auburn quickly mounted to a life-threatening situation for local law-enforcement Monday as a suspect attempted to grab an officer's gun.

Officer Larry Olveda, of the Newcastle office of the California Highway Patrol arrived at the scene of a crash on westbound Interstate 80 near the Elm Avenue off ramp to assist Sgt. Mark Reed, of the Placer County Sheriff's Department.

Within moments of making contact with the driver of a smashed maroon Chevy, Olveda found himself involved in a potential life or death situation.

"The suspect appeared a bit unstable," said Kelly Baraga, CHP spokeswoman. "As soon as the officer touched the suspect, he started flailing around."

A scuffle ensued as officer tried to get 28-year-old Victor Hernandez Rodriguez to the ground.

It was then that Rodriguez went for Olveda's gun.

Auburn Journal photographer Michael Kirby was at the scene shooting photographs of the car crash and said he had no idea what he was about to witness.

"As I worked away taking pictures of the wreck (Rodriguez) lunged at the officer and attempted to grab his service revolver," Kirby said. "A scuffle involving the CHP officer, a Placer County sheriff officer, an Auburn firefighter and even a EMT got involved trying to stop the male from getting the officers gun."

Within minutes Rodriguez was on the ground in handcuffs.

"The officers acted expertly acted with professionalism in a tense situation," Kirby said.

Rodriguez was transported to the Placer County jail and booked on suspicion of driving under the influence, resisting arrest and attempting to take a peace officer's gun.

The event began to unfold just before 11 a.m. when Rodriguez, driving a maroon Chevrolet sedan westbound on Interstate 80, crashed into the right guardrail near Elm Avenue, bounced off and slid into the center divide, officials said.

Firefighters were in the process of accessing the driver's injuries and treating him when he began to fight and reach for Olveda's gun. Fortunately, for all involved, no one was injured.

"The officers did the right thing," Baraga said. "Boundary lines mean nothing when an officer needs assistance. There's definitely a brotherhood."

Rodriguez remains in custody without bail, pending a bond hearing.

web page
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

lcsodre108 is offline DUI Persecutor
    Thank god there was help, and he is ok.
    www.alliedoddballs.com
    I can't do this test when I am sober!

Respect My AUTHORITAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    If someone really wants my gun they can have it...

...bullets first.
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    attempted to grab his service revolver
    heh. It's funny how little most people know about handguns.

Thread Information