Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is online now Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Arizona Senate OKs guns in eateries serving booze

Arizona Senate OKs guns in eateries serving booze

PHOENIX (AP) The Arizona Senate has reversed itself and voted to allow people with concealed-carry permits to take handguns into restaurants that serve alcohol.
    The Senate approved the bill on an 18-10 vote Tuesday, one day after it defeated the measure on a 14-14 tie when one supporter was absent. The bill now goes to the House.
    Arizona law now generally bans possession of firearms in bars and restaurants selling alcohol.
    Under the bill, a permit-holder carrying a weapon into a restaurant serving alcohol would not be allowed to drink. The measure would allow restaurants to deny entry by gun-toting citizens by posting a sign.

It also would reduce the misdemeanor penalty for bringing a gun into a restaurant that doesn't allow the weapons.
    Supporters of the bill say the current ban deprives law-abiding citizens of the means to protect themselves and others, and subjects their guns to the risk of theft if they're left in parked vehicles.

"The people that have these permits are probably the most responsible gun owners that we have," Sen. Pam Gorman, R-Anthem, said during Monday's initial vote.
    Critics say the change is perilous. "Alcohol and guns do not do well together," said Sen. Ken Cheuvront, D-Phoenix.

The bill covers all alcohol-serving establishments with kitchens that prepare food offered for onsite consumption.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

God, I love Arizona!!!!!!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sounds about like what we have here in Washington, without the misdemeanor.

Businesses can ban guns, but they can only ask you to leave - no charge.

Only a tavern or bar is a weapons free zone, not any old restaurant that serves alcohol. Law enforcement exempt even in taverns or bars.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    The way I see it, if you don't need your weapon, no one will ever know you have it if you keep it concealed. If you need it, who cares about rules when your life is at stake. Goes back to I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6........

not that I condone breaking the law, but honestly, wha the hell is the difference? If you are not supose to drink while carrying, and you don't, then you are keeping up your end of the deal. why complicate shit?
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JSO85360 View Post
    why complicate shit?
    Cause thats how the world works...lol
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by JSO85360 View Post
    The way I see it, if you don't need your weapon, no one will ever know you have it if you keep it concealed. If you need it, who cares about rules when your life is at stake. Goes back to I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6........

not that I condone breaking the law, but honestly, what the hell is the difference? If you are not suppose to drink while carrying, and you don't, then you are keeping up your end of the deal. why complicate shit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    Cause thats how the world works...lol
    I'll have to agree with JSO here, but you know how it is. Someone out there is never happy unless they are complaining about something.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information