Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Question Should the city have your O/R login?

I doubt a poll on the question in the title would be very close. If you want to work for the City of Bozeman, MT, giving up that info is part of the application process.

Is this something the city, or whichever agency you work for, should have for the reasons they state? Never mind that giving out login credentials is against the TOS of many websites. What about civilian employers, or contractors hired by the city? They're asking for this, in the City Attorney's words, "all the way down to lifeguards" after all.

10 minute video of interview with City Attorney on website, though it doesn't add much detail. Only interesting bit is he says they don't look at these accounts after the initial hiring, but the usernames and passwords are retained in the employment file. At the very end he uses police officers as the hammer to drive home his "retaining the public's trust" point.

Bozeman City job requirement raises privacy concerns
    Bozeman City job requirement raises privacy concerns - Montana's News Station - Fair. Accurate. To the Point. -

Applying for a job with the City of Bozeman? You may be asked to provide more personal information than you expected.

That was the case for one person who applied for employment with the City. The anonymous viewer emailed the news station recently to express concern with a component of the city's background check policy, which states that to be considered for a job applicants must provide log-in information and passwords for social network sites in which they participate.

The requirement is included on a waiver statement applicants must sign, giving the City permission to conduct an investigation into the person's "background, references, character, past employment, education, credit history, criminal or police records."

"Please list any and all, current personal or business websites, web pages or memberships on any Internet-based chat rooms, social clubs or forums, to include, but not limited to: Facebook, Google, Yahoo, YouTube.com, MySpace, etc.," the City form states. There are then three lines where applicants can list the Web sites, their user names and log-in information and their passwords.

The requirement raises questions concerning applicants' privacy rights.

Article 2, Section 10 of the Montana Constitution reads "the right of individual privacy is essential to the well-being of a free society and shall not be infringed without the showing of a compelling state interest."

The City takes privacy rights very seriously, but this request balances those rights with the City's need to ensure employees will protect the public trust, according to city attorney Greg Sullivan.

"So, we have positions ranging from fire and police, which require people of high integrity for those positions, all the way down to the lifeguards and the folks that work in city hall here. So we do those types of investigations to make sure the people that we hire have the highest moral character and are a good fit for the City," Sullivan said.

Another concern the applicant raised was that by providing the City with a Facebook user name and password the City not only has access to the applicant's page but also to the pages belonging to all of the applicant's Facebook "friends."

"You know, I can understand that concern. One thing that's important for folks to understand about what we look for is none of the things that the federal constitution lists as protected things, we don't use those. We're not putting out this broad brush stroke of trying to find out all kinds of information about the person that we're not able to use or shouldn't use in the hiring process," Sullivan said.

When asked about creating a separate Bozeman Facebook page, then asking applicants to add the City as "friend," thus allowing the City to view the applicant's profile, Sullivan said officials could explore the option. This would limit the city to only view the page of the applicant.

No one has ever removed his or her name from consideration for a job due to the request, Sullivan added.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'd have to be pretty damn desperate for a job before I agreed to submit that kind of information. I make it a point to not take work home with me, I sure as hell wouldn't want work to invade my home life.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That is asking for too much. I am surprised since it is a story out of Montana.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not in this lifetime.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Because it would be voluntary to provide the information to the employer PRIOR to hiring, it would not be unconstitutional. However, it asked AFTER hiring/contract, it would be a potential unconstitutional act against the employee.

Lots of employers are doing this in an effort to ensure nothing embarassing will come out post hiring. Have a hard time agreeing with it but to a degree, understand it (such as the Domino's or Burger King incidents).

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Not only no....but HELL no!

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

IMachU is offline First Class Private
    Verified LEO
    Um, no. Not gonna happen. I could see some city in Kalifornia doping this, but Montana....that is weird.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by IMachU View Post
    Um, no. Not gonna happen. I could see some city in Kalifornia doping this, but Montana....that is weird.
    In LA LA land or the San Fransicko Bay Area maybe. Otherwise probably not.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Nope, what I do, where I go online is my business. My husband doesn't even know or want my passcodes

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not a chance.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No way in hell.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    F them
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    I'm with the majority...no way in hell.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    That's ridiculous.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I would give my Chief & Sarge my user name volunterally if they asked - in fact I already told them more than once in case they want to join us here, but I don't think they were interested.

Since they can get their own account if they really want to waste their time spying on me, why would they want my password?

I might have a totally different attitude about it if my livelihood hung in the balance instead of just being a Reserve, though. I'd also be pissed if they demanded it as a job requirement, instead of just asking nicely out of curiosity.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    That is just plain crazy.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    F them
    Well DAMN,now I dont have to since pgg has already given it to them.

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    Hell no, not going to happen. On another note, they already know me. I resemble my posts........
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    On one hand I wouldn't work there and give that up.

But, I completely disagree with the "unconstitutional" and "invasion of privacy" complaints. You know it ahead of time. Don't want to do it? Don't apply. Simple.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information