Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Pic of Board Attorney Gets Officer in Trouble

So the board attorney passed out in a garbage can but the Officers involved in taking his picture are the main issue??? WTF??

Galligan apologizes for police conduct
    Mayor says investigation into Wilder photos underway
    By MATT THACKER
    The Evening News & The Tribune

JEFFERSONVILLE IN — Jeffersonville Mayor Tom Galligan on Sunday apologized to Larry Wilder’s family for pictures taken of the city council’s attorney passed out in a trash can Wednesday morning.

Galligan said it is still under investigation who took and distributed the photographs, but Jeffersonville Police Chief Tim Deeringer confirmed they were taken by a camera issued by the police department.

“When someone becomes a police officer in the city of Jeffersonville, they take an oath to protect and serve the people of this city,” Galligan said at a press conference on Sunday afternoon. “Earlier this week, one or two officers ignored that oath and allowed their personal or political motivations to interfere with their work.”

Wilder said in an interview with The Evening News on Friday that he wanted the police officer who took the photos to apologize to his children. The apology, instead, came from the mayor.

“I apologize personally — and as mayor — to the children and family of Larry Wilder for the pain that you have endured at the hands of one or two errant officers,” Galligan said.

Galligan said he called the press conference because several citizens approached him with concerns that a similar situation could happen to them if police officers wanted to embarrass them.

He said police officers should treat everyone with “dignity and professionalism” and called the unknown officer who took the photos a “renegade.”

Galligan would not comment whether the police officer(s) involved would be disciplined. When asked if this was a matter for the police merit board to handle, he said, “it’s going to be a matter for the mayor.” However, he did have ominous words for the officer(s) involved.

“We are going to take appropriate action to ensure that no police officer will be comfortable abusing their authority again,” Galligan said.

Galligan said it may be three or four officers involved but that it is more likely one or two. Four officers responded to the call, according to police records.

Deeringer said the incident is still under investigation and that he does not know who will make the decision about what, if any, discipline the officer or officers could face.

Galligan said he has not talked to Wilder about the situation.

Wilder told The Evening News on Friday that he did not think the officer(s) responsible for taking the photos should be disciplined and would defend the officer(s) if need be.

The mayor would not comment on Wilder’s behavior other than to say that it “concerns” him and he does not like it but that the point of the press conference was to discuss the actions of the officers — not Wilder. When asked if Wilder is a public figure, Galligan said, “You could say that. Everybody’s a public figure.”

City Council President Connie Sellers, who attended the press conference, said the actions of a couple of police officers reflects poorly on the department. She would not comment on whether Wilder could be removed as the council’s attorney, saying it would be discussed by the council as a whole in executive session on Wednesday at 6 p.m. at City Hall.

Sellers said she believes the story would not have gained so much attention if not for the leaked photographs.

“I think it’s a bigger story with the pictures,” she said. “I think the pictures are what make the story.”
    Not the smartest idea in the world on the officer's part but I think the main story should be the attorney passed out in the trash can.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

IMachU is offline First Class Private
    Verified LEO
    Finally, an attorney that knows his place. Besides, didn't the officers take a pic of the attorney in his natural environment? What the prolem is??

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Shame on those irresponsible officers for taking advantage of a poor , obviously prominant attorney passed out where all attorneys belong.......
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    This was on Yahoo news before the photographs came out. Honestly, you wind up headfirst in a trash can when you're passed out drunk, and someone NEEDS to take a pic of your idiocy to remind you to not do it again.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I would have noted it as evidence for his public intoxication charge.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I would have noted it as evidence for his public intoxication charge.
    Only if that state has that particular law of course. North Carolina doesn't have a public intoxiation law, for example. Not sure about Indiana.

The officer should have had a friend take the picture and release it, or him take it, email it to a friend, and then have the friend release it.

The only reason the officer got in trouble is because they don't want him taking personal pictures of someone he is dealing with on the job, AND it's the city atorney. I got in trouble once for the same thing with a local crackhead. It's stupid, but that's the way it is. However, nothing more than the officer being told not to do it should happen here.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

I'm sure we would all like to point and laugh at an attorney.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    They said the officers conduct reflected on the Dept. And the Attorny's didn't reflect on the City?

Next time take the pic with your own camera

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Only if that state has that particular law of course. North Carolina doesn't have a public intoxiation law, for example. Not sure about Indiana.
    Thank goodness we do have a P.I. law here!

Yeah if you are gonna take the pic with a dept. camera, those pics better be evidence. That part I agree with. But if they had just taken the pics with their own camera instead, then I see no issue.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The attorney is probably all butt hurt that he had a pic taken of him in his own environment. Boo freaking Hoo. Maybe next time he won't allow himself to be put in that predicament.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    Here You go...

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by TXPO710 View Post
    Here You go...

Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post

I'm sure we would all like to point and laugh at an attorney.
    HA HA HA!!!

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Here You go...

LOL, who could resist taking a picture of that?

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    I personaly think the officers should be punished for neglecting their civic duty. I'd have set the can upright, closed the lid and called the garbage man to come collect. After all, service to the public is one of the things we're supposed to do.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Here You go...

Wow.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That is great LMAO
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A Motivational Poster in the making. "[Insert P.D.'s name] takes out the trash."

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Twan007 is online now The People
    Verified LEO
    looks like in the least, he could be cited with obstructing a public highway

and then the pics could come out...

the attorney should be first and foremost apologizing for having the officers come out and "clean up" the mess he had made... then maybe he would get an apology from the officers... and the dept should suck it up, yeah, it was dumb to take the pics and have them leak to the press... but "renegade" and the officers should've conducted themselves with "dignity and professionalism"... what about the drunk ass city attorney who was obviously not conducting himself with either...

didn't he take an oath too?
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This is why they put cameras in cell phones, why Hotmail was created, and what Twitter is for.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Thread Information