Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    None of your business
    Rep Power

    Firefighters accidentally set fire to their own station

    An emergency call for firefighters to respond to a traffic crash ended in a cautionary tale for everyone who cooks food when the firefighters got a second call to put out a fire back at their own station house in Waipahu.
    "The firefighters (at the station) are very chagrined about it," fire Capt. Terry Seelig said yesterday.
    But the embarrassment of the firefighters from the Waipahu station is being used as a lesson to underscore the dangers of leaving food unattended on a hot stove, one of the more common causes of building fires on O'ahu, Seelig said.
    "It goes to show that no one is immune," he said.
    Just before 4 p.m. on May 22, firefighters from the Waipahu station left their food cooking to respond to a traffic crash, Seelig said.
    They wrapped up their work at the scene of the vehicle crash when another call came in to respond to a fire at their station, Seelig said.
    "The fire's cause was attributed to unattended cooking," Seelig said. "We, like everybody else, need to be careful and attentive when cooking."
    The fire caused approximately $25,000 in damage to the Waipahu fire station, mostly from smoke and heat in the kitchen, Seelig said.
    The kitchen already had been scheduled for renovation, Seelig said, and the damage has since been repaired.
    It's not unusual for firefighters to have their cooking interrupted by emergency calls. But after the fire at the Waipahu station, Seelig said, a reminder was issued to all O'ahu fire stations to make sure that firefighters turn off cooking equipment when responding to emergencies.

  2. #2
    pgg's Avatar
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Fled the Emerald Triangle
    Rep Power
    Thats funny. When I was a kid the fire department went to a call, when they came back they came to a pile of ashes from leaving a stove on also. They then attached the new fire dept to the police dept and a dispatcher or officer always had to do a walk through of the fire dept if they went to a call to insure that the stove or other hazards were off. Even better it isn't to far from the OP's location
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

  3. #3
    Odd's Avatar
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    Rep Power
    After they put their kitchen fire out they decided to go out to eat. Things didn't go much better

  4. #4
    TXCharlie's Avatar
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Join Date
    Dallas Area
    Rep Power
    I've told this story before, but when we lived in Alexandria, LA around 1968 (?), some firemen burnt their station to the ground performing a fire experiment:

    The experiment rose from an arguement of whether a large container of gasoline would extinguish a lit match if the match is thrown in the middle of it.

    Apparently, they put the container in the bathtub, where gas fumes collected. So when the match was tossed in, and explosion ensued which sloshed gasoline all over the wall, thus catching it on fire.

    They were just lucky they all made it out alive with only superficial burns, and cinged eyebrows.

    It reminds me of the time I did virtually the same thing trying to fill a cigarette lighter with gasoline over my mother's washing machine to catch the spillage - That thing almost exploded, too when I lit the lighter, cinging my eyebrows and hair .

    Ofcourse, I was like 10 years old... The firefighters couldn't make that excuse.

    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

  5. #5
    CTR man's Avatar
    CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    Ceres, CA
    Rep Power
    You mean it wasn't a training exercise? Anybody for a Bar-Be-Que? My bad.

    After the meal was over they gave us all lessons on what not to do regarding cooking.

    Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

    Not a LEO

    In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

  6. #6
    Bama512's Avatar
    Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    North Alabama
    Rep Power
    Our dispatchers can shut off the stove to any fire station in the larger town bordering ours using the scada system used to alert the fire station. They also can open/close truck bay doors and turn on lights.They've had that system since 1995. Granted they are a larger dept with 17 stations.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts