Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Talking Internal EPA Memos Reveal the EPA May have 'Suppressed' Climate Change Report - GOP Senator Calls for Inquiry - "Cap and Trade" Energy Tax May be Dead

GOP Senator Calls for Inquiry Into 'Suppressed' Climate Change Report - Political News - FOXNews.com

GOP Senator Calls for Inquiry Into 'Suppressed' Climate Change Report

Republicans are raising questions about why the EPA apparently dismissed an analyst's report questioning the science behind global warming.

By Judson Berger
    FOXNews.com
    Monday, June 29, 2009

EPA analyst Alan Carlin raised questions about the impact of global warming on areas like Greenland. Shown here is an iceberg off Ammassalik Island, Greenland. (AP Photo)

A top Republican senator told FOX News on Monday that he's ordered an investigation into the Environmental Protection Agency's alleged suppression of a report that questioned the science behind global warming.

The 98-page report, co-authored by EPA analyst Alan Carlin, pushed back on the prospect of regulating gases like carbon dioxide as a way to reduce global warming. Carlin's report argued that the data the EPA was using was out of date, and that even as atmospheric carbon dioxide levels have increased, global temperatures have declined.

But according to internal e-mails that have been made public by the Competitive Enterprise Institute, Carlin's boss told him in March that his material would not be incorporated into a broader EPA finding and ordered Carlin to stop working on the climate change issue. The draft EPA finding released in April lists six greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide, that the EPA says threaten public health and welfare.

An EPA official told FOXNews.com on Monday that Carlin, an economist not a scientist, included "no original research" in his report. The official said that Carlin "has not been muzzled in the agency at all," but stressed that his report was entirely "unsolicited."

"It was something that he did on his own," the official said. "Though he was not qualified, his manager indulged him and allowed him on agency time to draft up ... a set of comments."

Despite the EPA official's remarks, Carlin told FOXNews.com on Monday that his boss appeared to be pressured into reassigning him.

Carlin said he doesn't know whether the White House intervened to suppress his report but claimed it's clear "they would not be happy about it if they knew about it" and that his boss seemed to be feeling pressure from somewhere up the chain of command.

Carlin said his boss, National Center for Environmental Economics Director Al McGartland, told him after pulling him off the climate change issue that he had to do it.

"It was reassigning you or losing my job, and I didn't want to lose my job," Carlin said, paraphrasing what he claimed were McGartland's comments to him. "My inference (was) that he was receiving some sort of higher-level pressure."

Carlin said he personally does not think there is a current need to regulate carbon dioxide, since "global temperatures are going down." He said his report expressed a "good bit of doubt" on the connection between the two.

Specifically, the report noted that global temperatures were on a downward trend over the past 11 years, that scientists do not necessarily believe that storms will become more frequent or more intense due to global warming, and that the theory that temperatures will cause Greenland ice to rapidly melt has been "greatly diminished."

Carlin, in a March 16 e-mail, argued that his comments are "valid, significant" and would be critical to the EPA finding.

McGartland, though, wrote back the next day saying he had decided not to forward his comments.

"The administrator and the administration has decided to move forward on endangerment, and your comments do not help the legal or policy case for this decision," he wrote, according to the e-mails released by CEI. "I can only see one impact of your comments given where we are in the process, and that would be a very negative impact on our office."

He later wrote an e-mail urging Carlin to "move on to other issues and subjects."

"I don't want you to spend any additional EPA time on climate change. No papers, no research, etc., at least until we see what EPA is going to do with climate," McGartland wrote.

The EPA said in a written statement that Carlin's opinions were in fact considered, and that he was not even part of the working group dealing with climate change in the first place.

"Claims that this individual's opinions were not considered or studied are entirely false. This administration and this EPA administrator are fully committed to openness, transparency and science-based decision making," the statement said. "The individual in question is not a scientist and was not part of the working group dealing with this issue. Nevertheless the document he submitted was reviewed by his peers and agency scientists, and information from that report was submitted by his manager to those responsible for developing the proposed endangerment finding. In fact, some ideas from that document are included and addressed in the endangerment finding."

The e-mail exchanges and suggestions of political interference sparked a backlash from Republicans in Congress.

"He came out with the truth. They don't want the truth at the EPA," Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla, a global warming skeptic, told FOX News, saying he's ordered an investigation. "We're going to expose it."

The controversy comes after the House of Representatives passed a landmark bill to regulate greenhouse gas emissions, one that Inhofe said is "dead on arrival" in the Senate despite Obama's energy adviser voicing confidence in the measure.

Reps. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., and Darrell Issa, R-Calif., also wrote a letter last week to EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson urging the agency to reopen its comment period on the finding. The EPA has since denied the request.

Citing the internal e-mails, the Republican congressmen wrote that the EPA was exhibiting an "agency culture set in a predetermined course."

"It documents at least one instance in which the public was denied access to significant scientific literature and raises substantial questions about what additional evidence may have been suppressed," they wrote.

In a written statement, Issa said the administration is "actively seeking to withhold new data in order to justify a political conclusion."

"I'm sure it was very inconvenient for the EPA to consider a study that contradicted the findings it wanted to reach," Sensenbrenner said in a statement, adding that the "repression" of Carlin's report casts doubt on the entire finding.

Carlin said he's concerned that he's seeing "science being decided at the presidential level."

"Now Mr. Obama is in effect directly or indirectly saying that CO2 causes global temperatures to rise and that we have to do something about it. ... That's normally a scientific judgment and he's in effect judging what the science says," he said. "We need to look at it harder."

The controversy is similar to one under the Bush administration -- only the administration was taking the opposite stance. In that case, scientist James Hansen claimed the administration was trying to keep him from speaking out and calling for reductions in greenhouse gases.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    The EPA came out with a study that basically debunks all of the global warming hype. And backed it up with facts. Then the liberals in charge of our Gov't (AKA: The Global Warming Fanatics) lay the smack down on this report, supressing and downplaying it, and then reminding us how 'real' global warming is.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That's because the whole global warming bill is for one thing only! To raise taxes and increase government control

Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    That's because the whole global warming bill is for one thing only! To raise taxes and increase government control
    +1 - You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to pgg again.

But actually there's another goal too: The Cap & Trade taxes will result in huge windfalls for the "Green" industry tycoons, which are major contributors to the Democrats.

(\__/)

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Got him for you, Charlie.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I love the governments push to make cars create less C02 emissions when they amount to less than 1/5th of the cause. Farm animals produce more greenhouse gases a year than cars do. What I think we should focus on is the coal burning power plants.
    Romans 13:4
    For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Quote Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
    What I think we should focus on is the coal burning power plants.
    I agree, but they should all eventually be replaced by Nuclear plants...

Preferably Breeder Reactors until Hydrogen Fusion is developed (because Breeder Reactors actually produce more fuel than they consume, and there's MUCH less overall radioactive waste - In theory, most of the waste can be used to make more fuel, which is why they call it a breeder).

Hydrogen Fusion is the holy grail, but we know how to build commercially-viable Breeder Reactors now - I think Jimmy Carter stopped the US Breeder Reactor program, and unfortunately no one has reversed that decision.

Here's some info on them:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeder_reactor

(\__/)

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    These ignoramuses really tweak me with their pretentions that "we" (that is to say man) is in control of the welfare of the universe, let alone this planet. How utterly ridiculous to make such assumption.

Global warming is a farce, taken advantage of by the hype-mongers and the profiteers. Time and again its been disproven. The ultimate affront to every shred of common sense known to man remains embedded in the lies and spin that the U.S. government is taking action for the betterment of the future of the human race. They are profiting from this, and using it as a massive power-grab, unlike any before.

The EPA's CAFE standards on fuel and emissions for vehicle production has over the past 25 years cost human lives by the thousands through demanding standards ahead of viable safety engineering capabilities. Again, another cover up... "don't let the people realize the truth, keep them focused on something else..."

Cap and trade is a TAX BILL, one that will gravely, and adversely effect every American taxpayer and consumer. And one that, (although no one wants to admit), will spell yet another nail in the coffin for the free market economy by putting in place unprecedented government controls over businesses.

I suggest that if we really want to clear our air of greenhouse gases, we should start by clearing out morons populating the houses of congress first, the hot air that is coming from DC now has raised the temperature in America exponentially.

VOTE THEM OUT.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Maybe one day we will have fusion but as of right now the heat/energy to overcome the coulomb barrier is too great to make it viable. For people that aren't into this sort of stuff it will be like creating mini suns to power the world.
    Romans 13:4
    For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I love the governments push to make cars create less C02 emissions when they amount to less than 1/5th of the cause. Farm animals produce more greenhouse gases a year than cars do. What I think we should focus on is the coal burning power plants.
    Why, since carbon clearly isn't creating global warming?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Why the consensus against EPA and Obama?

The guy whose report was "ignored" (Carlin) is an economist, not a climate scientist. And it wasn't ignored, it was evaluated for what it was worth, then laid aside. The worker was told to get back to his work, which was economics, and waste no more EPA clock time on climate change. Every organization has people like this. They do a lot of good, raise good counterpoints, but they're disgruntled half the time and basically disloyal. And unfortunately, there are discussion groups that would prefer to believe something bad than get the facts. At first glance this sounds like one of them.

Here's an "other-point-of-view" blog:

Scant evidence for charge that EPA ‘suppressed’ dissent [Updated] | Grist

The blogger who initially broke the story has really backpedalled -- his source was the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a subsidiary of Exxon-Mobil, and the blogger admits he jumped the gun in trusting their spin. He stopped updating it several days ago.

Weirdly, CBS news jumped on the story, though no other mainstream media did until congresspersons started pretending to be upset about it. I don't consider Fox News mainstream, by the way. They were all over it, of course.

Look, I'm not a policeman, just a guy who appreciates what you guys do every day, but I'm danged if I can see why there should be such a consensus among law enforcement personnel that global warming is a hoax. I don't see the connection.

Sorry, I guess I'm one of those tree-huggers who's afraid we're really trashing the earth for the kids and grandkids.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChurchofReason View Post
    The guy whose report was "ignored" (Carlin) is an economist, not a climate scientist. And it wasn't ignored, it was evaluated for what it was worth, then laid aside. The worker was told to get back to his work, which was economics, and waste no more EPA clock time on climate change. Every organization has people like this. They do a lot of good, raise good counterpoints, but they're disgruntled half the time and basically disloyal. And unfortunately, there are discussion groups that would prefer to believe something bad than get the facts. At first glance this sounds like one of them.

Here's an "other-point-of-view" blog:

Scant evidence for charge that EPA ‘suppressed’ dissent [Updated] | Grist

The blogger who initially broke the story has really backpedalled -- his source was the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a subsidiary of Exxon-Mobil, and the blogger admits he jumped the gun in trusting their spin. He stopped updating it several days ago.

Weirdly, CBS news jumped on the story, though no other mainstream media did until congresspersons started pretending to be upset about it. I don't consider Fox News mainstream, by the way. They were all over it, of course.

Look, I'm not a policeman, just a guy who appreciates what you guys do every day, but I'm danged if I can see why there should be such a consensus among law enforcement personnel that global warming is a hoax. I don't see the connection.

Sorry, I guess I'm one of those tree-huggers who's afraid we're really trashing the earth for the kids and grandkids.

Alan Carlin is a 38 year veteran of the EPA who's "main job function" is "climate control" and you don't see him as "qualified"? That's kinda like saying Ray Evernham isn't qualified to tell you about how to win a stock car race because he's not a driver.

And if Ed Whitacre is the best guy to run GM (and it must be true because Obama said so), how can anyone have a problem with Alan Carlin's opinion on the regulation of CO2 emissions, or just about anything else that has to do with "climate control"?

And he didn't just say he didn't agree with the science. He said they weren't using all the data (they were only using 30% of the data and ignoring 70%) ... What he said was they shouldn't regulate CO2 without considering all the observable data and he was told to shut up. That's a problem, no matter which side of the argument you are on.

Here is a link to the 98 page report, so you can read it yourself. Most people won't have any need to read beyond paragraph 2 of the report to get the idea that this guy is being fair and is concerned more about actual facts as opposed to just partisan politics.

However, if you can read the entire report and not realize he knows more than enough to form a valid opinion, I don't know what to tell ya.

Here you can see some of what the "economist" has been doing for almost 40 years. Maybe you'll rethink whether he is qualified.

I have been hashing this out all day on another forum. The user An11SecRanger answered your credibilty issue already. No reason to type what I can cut and paste.
    EPA Study Skeptcal of Global Warming Supressed - SeatStaysUp.com - Beer, Babes, Cars, Guns, Sports, Games!

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Maybe one day we will have fusion but as of right now the heat/energy to overcome the coulomb barrier is too great to make it viable. For people that aren't into this sort of stuff it will be like creating mini suns to power the world.
    But Fission Breeder Reactors ARE viable - Other countries have had them for years, and they nullify most of the arguements that the left makes against nuclear waste, since they have less waste.

(\__/)

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChurchofReason View Post

First, welcome to the site. Glad to have you!

Now, to answer the question you posed above...

We are people who spend our every waking moment looking for what is real, what we can prove, and what we have evidence for.

This is why most law enforcement officers are skeptical when we see someone pulling a snow job with little evidence, no consensus, and changing variables.

Also, I didn't think there WERE any treehuggers in Kansas?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Just what I dug up in about 10 minutes of why I think MANMADE climate change is crap.

Here is a little slide show on the stations used to measure temps in the U.S. A meteorologist got a bit curious about the data he was seeing. He decided to go take pictures of the temp measuring stations. Enjoy:

Watts Up With That?: weather_stations Archives

Just a taste:

Final picture. It seems the groundskeeper likes to burn the trash and paper he picks up on the grounds, guess where he does it?

Honest folks, I couldn’t make this stuff up if I tried.

The property management person I spoke with said the tennis court and condos was built in the early 80’s.

Some more fun links.

The global warming scam

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/noe...t-scam-history

The Global Warming Scam by Nima Sanandaji and Fred Goldberg

Climate change happens, but like CB stated, humans having the ego to think we are causing it.....give me a break.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Why, since carbon clearly isn't creating global warming?
    I took that to mean that we should concentrate on building more coal plants right now, and fusion plants later when the technology is mature.

For sure, we do have enough coal to last for hundreds of years, according to estimates, but if there's one thing that tree-huggers like less than nuclear, it's coal..

(\__/)

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Here is a link to the 98 page report, so you can read it yourself. Most people won't have any need to read beyond paragraph 2 of the report to get the idea that this guy is being fair and is concerned more about actual facts as opposed to just partisan politics.

However, if you can read the entire report and not realize he knows more than enough to form a valid opinion, I don't know what to tell ya.
    I did read it. But I recommend going beyond the second paragraph. The "11-year" (elsewhere in his report 8-year, 12-year, etc.) data he's selected is carefully excised from a long pattern of gradual (though rapid in climatological terms) warming. It's a familiar graph. It looks like one in a paper that drew quite different conclusions from the data. Carlin seems to have extracted a short, uncharacteristic recent segment of the graph. It's true that it's gotten cooler since 1998, because that was the hottest year on record, but look at the graph, then compare it to the one (fig. 1 on page 2) that shows recorded temperatures since the 1880. Carlin's segment is carefully selected data, not unlike the picture of the trash burn barrel 5 feet from a weather station. It just doesn't reflect on the quality of science being done out there.

I also recommend the last paragraph (p. 6) because it addresses another suggestion on this discussion that we look to other "fixes" besides CO2 control.

Police officers aren't the only people who are used to looking for facts, evaluating data, and so on. I'm glad to see you've read the 98-page report, but keep in mind it's written by someone with an agenda and got national press only because it was "outed" by CEI, an oil-company agent. Carlin's specialty may be climate change, but it's in the economic aspect of the subject, not climate science. However, you're right: that doesn't mean he can't understand what he's talking about. I just think he has an agenda that's not science.

By the way, I also agree he should never have been prohibited from talking outside the shop about his doubts.

Elsewhere by the way, we do have tree-huggers in Kansas. We have trees, too. And climate. And schools, so most of us can read. Like you and probably everyone on this list, most of us depend on "experts" to interpret highly technical information like climate change. I recommend we all listen closely to the scientists as well as to the pundits, politicians, and business leaders.

Keep up the good work, folks.

Another thought

And who sets a burn barrel on a wooden pallet? And who puts chimneys on burn barrels? And what good is the chimney if those big holes are in the sides near the top? And so on.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There are a lot more examples of temperature recording equipment being set up improperly. The picture I posted was just one of the more extreme examples. Another thing, if we truely wanted to be reducing greenhouse gases we would be better served going after water vapor. Now how much of Earth's atmosphere is made up of CO2?

Composition of the Atmosphere
    Composition of Earth's atmosphere

The atmosphere is primarily composed of Nitrogen (N2, 78%), Oxygen (O2, 21%), and Argon (Ar, 1%). A myriad of other very influential components are also present which include the water (H2O, 0 - 7%), "greenhouse" gases or Ozone (O, 0 - 0.01%), and Carbon Dioxide (CO2, 0.01-0.1%).

NASA - Earth's Atmosphere

To bad the government could not control the capitalistic economic system we have in this country by regulating water vapor.

In response to ChurchOfReason's point that the author of the suppressed report graduated as an economist not a scientist, I would also like to point out that there's a lot of self-taught people around who graduated in totally unrelated fields from the field they actually work in... Also, his report relied on more experienced contributors - Even his EPA bosses said that he did very little original work beyond compiling the report.

My Chief of Police was an English major, and contrary to popular opinion, most cops are not Criminal Justice majors.

Another example: I've been a programmer for 20 years, but my degree is in Electrical Engineering - When I went to college, we were using punch cards and IBM 370 mainframes - So that programming training was worthless today when applied to Windows and Database programming. The most complicated program I wrote in college was a perpetual calendar that was like 200 lines of FORTRAN code (or should I say 200 cards), our Computer Science teacher had heard of a floppy disk but had no idea what it was, we had heard of BASIC, but had no idea what that was either, and the only home PC you could buy was the MITS which couldn't do a lot more than blink light bulbs.

College training is great as far as it goes, but only experience is relevant to what someone is qualified to do, because as soon as you graduate, your training is almost obsolete these days except for the most basic of fundamentals.

I'm sure that most experienced scientists in the field have never studied Global Warming in college, just as most astronimers over 40 years old had never even heard of a Black Hole or String Theory when they graduated college. All college did for them was teach them the fundamentals that might take a year to learn by itself, if they hadn't wasted years on dribble like history, literature, and and all the other crap that they teach in College.

(\__/)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information