Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

By-the-mile road tax could replace by-the-gallon federal fuel tax

By-the-mile road tax could replace by-the-gallon federal fuel tax
    Kansas City Star

Went back and forth about sharing this since it's a burr for me which others don't seem to mind. Decided to post it after removing most of my commentary, more interested in what you think. Couldn't help bolding a few points though

The year is 2020 and the gasoline tax is history. In its place you get a monthly tax bill based on each mile you drove — tracked by a Global Positioning System device in your car and uploaded to a billing center.

What once was science fiction is being field-tested by the University of Iowa to iron out the wrinkles should a by-the-mile road tax ever be enacted.

Besides the technological advances making such a tax possible, the idea is getting a hard push from a growing number of transportation experts and officials. That is because the traditional by-the-gallon fuel tax, struggling to keep up with road building and maintenance demands, could fall even farther behind as vehicles’ gas mileage rises and more alternative-fuel vehicles come on line.

The idea of shifting to a by-the-mile tax has been discussed for years, but it now appears to be getting more serious attention. A federal commission, after a two-year study, concluded earlier this year that the road tax was the “best path forward” to keep revenues flowing to highway and transportation projects, and could be an important new tool to help manage traffic and relieve congestion.

The decision by the 15-member National Surface Transportation Infrastructure Financing Commission was unanimous, which surprised Robert Atkinson, the group’s chairman. But he said it became clear as the commission’s work progressed that a road tax on miles traveled was the best option.

“If you’re committed to the system being improved then it was a no-brainer,” he said.

The commission pegged 2020 as the year for the federal fuel tax, currently 18.5 cents a gallon, to be phased out and replaced by a road tax. One estimate of a road tax that would cover the current federal and state fuel taxes is 1 to 2 cents per mile for cars and light trucks. 1 or 2 cents doesn't sound like much of anything, but that's a 100% tax increase from 1 to 2. 1 cent is already a tax hike for me, and 2 cents for anyone getting more than 9 mpg.

The commission said work needed to start soon to prepare for a road tax. But more work has already been done than most people probably realize.

Oregon did a field test in 2007, concluding it was possible to collect a road tax. The University of Iowa’s Public Policy Center — with support from the Federal Highway Administration and 15 states, including Kansas and Missouri — began work a decade ago on how a road tax could be deployed.

Now the University of Iowa, with the help of a $16 million federal grant, is beginning the field test that will eventually include 2,700 vehicles in six states. The vehicles equipped with computers and GPS devices will keep track of the miles traveled and send the data through wireless technology to a billing center that will compute “simulated” tax bills.

“There is a lot of work nationally going on that is beneath the surface,” said Pete Rahn, director of the Missouri Department of Transportation.

Missouri, like the federal government and other states, has been watching revenues from the gas tax decline. Last year that revenue was down more than 3 percent, and so far this year it has declined a similar amount. The state’s highway budget was about to “hit the rocks,” he said, but federal stimulus funds gave it some breathing room.

Even when the economy recovers, the gas tax will remain under pressure.

“The Chevrolet Volt won’t pay a penny of fuel tax,” Rahn said of the electric car that will make its debut next year.

Rahn, past president of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, said some states have considered implementing a road tax without waiting for the federal government to act, but a national system would probably work best.

Privacy concerns have been raised, and federal legislation also could set limits or otherwise provide safeguards on all the data that could be collected from GPS devices in vehicles. The Iowa study is looking at ways to protect privacy.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood earlier this year said the road tax should be among the options considered for future financing, but he backtracked with a statement that such a tax was not Obama administration policy.

The U.S. commission recommending a road tax believes a measured approach would work best. The federal Highway Trust Fund should be replenished with a higher gas tax as an interim move, the commission said, with work continuing on getting a road tax enacted and deployed.

Congress would have to pass legislation phasing in the tax and settling such issues as whether there should be a higher tax for thirstier and higher-polluting vehicles.

A low-tech approach in collecting the tax could amount to an annual reading of each vehicle’s odometer. A high-tech approach would involve equipping cars and trucks with GPS devices and computers.

The commission favors the higher-tech approach, in part, because far more can be done with it. For example, it could be tailored to help reduce traffic congestion by charging different rates throughout the day. A Brookings Institution study estimated that peak travel could be reduced up to 20 percent if the tax made it cheaper to travel outside of rush hour.

Deb Miller, Kansas secretary of transportation, said a road tax was an issue the federal government would need to take the lead on and help resolve such issues. She is on a National Research Council committee working on a proposal that among other things would ask Congress to consider further study of a road tax and how it could be deployed.

The public will have to be educated and convinced that a road tax is needed, but it is something that needs to be considered, Miller said.

“I thought for a long time the most promising option was going to a vehicles-miles-traveled tax,” she said.

Gas tax gap

•The gasoline tax is mainly divided into federal and state portions. The federal tax is 18.4 cents a gallon. In Missouri, the combined federal and state fuel tax is 35.7 cents a gallon. In Kansas, it is 43.4 cents.

•If current state and national trends and gas tax rates continue, a national commission estimates that in the next quarter-century the U.S. will have only about one-third of the $200 billion needed each year to keep up and improve the highways.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    "One estimate of a road tax that would cover the current federal and state fuel taxes is 1 to 2 cents per mile for cars and light trucks."

WOW, although I don't really drive that much anymore, when I lived in FL I was traveling 60 miles to work and home each day. At a 2 cent a mile tax that would be 1.20 per day just to go to work, not counting any extra driving. That's insane!!!!

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I wonder how much they'd save if they'd quit dropping millions on BS studies.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Exactly. Pretty soon due to global warming caused by natural methane, there will probably be a shit tax as well.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

213th is offline Solipsist
    That's utter bullcrap. First off, the gov't has no business putting a gps in my vehicle. I don't want them to see where I drive. Also, they were wrong, the chevy volt will pay a gasoline tax if you drive it more then forty miles. It has to kick in the gas engine after 40 miles and that will burn, you guessed it, gasoline.

If this ever happens I will literally purchase as much gasoline as I can afford to waste and then just let my truck idle.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I really don't see them getting rid of the tax by gallon, I do see them imposing the mileage tax in addtion to the gallon tax. Are they going to tax me if I'm on the ranch driving? What about boats, ATVs and tractors?

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I really don't see them getting rid of the tax by gallon, I do see them imposing the mileage tax in addtion to the gallon tax. Are they going to tax me if I'm on the ranch driving? What about boats, ATVs and tractors?
    + 1

How about the Trucking Industry? Just another way for expenses to be passed on to the consumer.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    That's dumb - Why should someone driving a Smartcar or Prius pay as much per mile as a 3/4 ton pickup truck or SUV, which tears the road up faster, consumes more gas, and spews out more poluton?

I think the fuel tax would be ok, if 100% of the funds went toward building and maintaining roads and bridges.

Where I think they should eliminate taxes is at the exploration and production level, because that is passed to the consumer as hidden taxes in the form of higher wholesale prices.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think the FairTax would be OK if the government only spent to the level that it took in. Well piss, there I go making sense again.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    If they think they're putting a GPS in my car, they'd better damn well make sure it functions as a GPS unit for me as well.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Ok, here's what I don't get. They think they're going to get more money when they have to spring for a GPS unit for every vehicle, plus the 24/7 monitoring, PLUS the extra paperwork of mailing the bills out instead of just having a tax per gallon? I feel like there's a HUGE screw job coming on.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Ok, here's what I don't get. They think they're going to get more money when they have to spring for a GPS unit for every vehicle, plus the 24/7 monitoring, PLUS the extra paperwork of mailing the bills out instead of just having a tax per gallon? I feel like there's a HUGE screw job coming on.

Yeah, I wonder which politician's brother-in-law owns a GPS company?

Oh well... Some tin foil over the GPS antenna and plugging in a speed sensor not mounted to any moving parts will save me a TON of cash if they eliminate the gas tax... "Yes sir, I swear, my car was parked in a tin building for six years while I took an envronmentally responsible bus to work every day". ,

I can see cottage industries springing up everywhere selling kits to make the GPS trackers read whatever you want them to read, unless $$$$$millions are spent developing an uncrackable system.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Don't worry I am sure Civil Liberties will fight the GPS in every car, so it is doubtful that would ever happen. On the other hand they can get away with the tracking via an annual inspection. In NY before they computerized the vehicle's annual inspection for emissions, you had to submit the inspection sticker number when you renewed the registration.

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    This would reduce incentives to manufacture and buy fuel-efficient vehicles.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Fixed it for you Jenna.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    This would reduce incentives to manufacture and buy vehicles.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'll be damned to the ninth plane of hell before I go soft in the idea of anyone tracking me with GPS just so they can charge me for it, especially a government entity.

Fukketh themmeth.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    They don't have to spend anything, the Fed just ,mandates the equipment and you pay for it in the end.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dadyswat View Post
    They don't have to spend anything, the Fed just ,mandates the equipment and you pay for it in the end.
    Exactly right. See also emission controls.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    How about lead in gasoline? Back in the day, we had to pay to put lead in gasoline, now we have to pay to take the lead back out?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information