Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Britain Most Violent Country.

BRITAIN was officially named Europe’s most violent nation last night.

We also suffer more violence than people in the US or even SOUTH AFRICA, figures show.
    A shocking 2,034 per 100,000 people suffer violent crime in the UK, compared to 466 in America and 1,609 in troublespot South Africa.
    Britain’s damning figures far outstrip those of second-worst EU country — Austria, with 1,677 violent crimes per 100,000 people.
    And the UK rate has increased by a shocking 77 per cent since 1998.
    The numbers were released by the European Commission.
    They also tell how Britain has the second highest OVERALL crime rate in the EU.
    Shadow Home Secretary Chris Grayling said: “This is a real damning indictment of this Government’s comprehensive failure to tackle the deep-rooted social problems in our society, and the knock-on effect on crime and anti-social behaviour.”

Advertisement

Britain also has a higher homicide rate than most of our western European neighbours, including France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
    But overall we came 13th worst in our rate for murders. Lithuania topped the list, followed by Estonia and Latvia.
    The figures, recording crime in 2007, also show the UK has the fifth-highest robbery rate in the EU, and the fourth-highest burglary rate.
    We have TWICE as many burglaries as Germany or France.
    The country with the lowest rate of violent crime was Romania, with just 32 violent crimes per 100,000 people.
    But experts claim Romania as well as Greece, Bulgaria and Turkey — all at the bottom of the list — have different ways of recording crime.

At least we're good at something!

N.B The only reason Romania has the lowest rate is because all their bloody criminals are living here!!!!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Boy, you people are dangerous , I'm glad our forefathers had the wisdom and insight to declare our independence and form the peaceful Utopia we live in today. Seriously though , I would be interested in seeing how much of those reported crimes were committed by illegal immigrants as opposed to British citizens and compare it to our percentage of illegal immigrant committed crimes.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Strangely one of the reasons we may have the worst figures is because we are the most honest at recording them.
    Also in alot of other european countries there is no point reporting anything to the police as they are even worse than us at detecting/investigating the crime.
    As for the Illegal immigrants point, well from my experience at the moment, most violent crime is down to alcohol fueled friday night fights ouside the pubs and clubs and following domestic disputes(again alcohol being the biggest factor)
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That gun control works out great, eh?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    LMAO!
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Those numbers can't possibly be right. Britain got rid of their guns. The crime rate should have dropped almost to nothing.

Next you'll be telling me that Australia's crime rate is going up too......oh wait.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Those numbers can't possibly be right. Britain got rid of their guns. The crime rate should have dropped almost to nothing.

Next you'll be telling me that Australia's crime rate is going up too......oh wait.

'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Most of the violence is domestic or alcohol related, I don't see firearms being much use in those circumstances.

Alcohol related violence in the UK like some eastern european nations is part of the culture for a part of the population. Like football hooliganism it's part of their weekend.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    How/when/why did this hooliganism arise? I'd like to read a British perspective without it being an America vs Britain contrast. We certainly have no lack of alcohol at sporting events.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    How/when/why did this hooliganism arise? I'd like to read a British perspective without it being an America vs Britain contrast. We certainly have no lack of alcohol at sporting events.
    There is loads of alcohol at Rugby, hockey and cricket matches but only very limited disorder.

Football hooliganism is almost exclusively linked to Football / soccer with a small over spill into boxing where many of the same groups follow fighters from their local town and meet with others doing the same.

It is a bizarre and a form of tribal territorialism, they gather in large groups with identifiable leaders who are good at fighting, organisation or both and arrange to meet groups from the opposing team to fight in public places. It is like inter area violence that ever officer who works in a big town or city would encounter but they often go for a pint afterwards or when the national teams play different groups will join together to fight groups from the other country.

I put it down to a lack of excitment in their everyday life or some form of inadequacy in their own self but the problem and reasons are more wide ranging that those two simple explanations.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Interesting. So you guys basically have fans that organized themselves into gangs, and follow their teams around. Then they're willing to bring violence to the table against the other teams fans, all under the cover of sportsmanship.

We have rivalries here, and even some households are split, but it doesn't keep them from sitting at the same table after the game's over. Sounds like there needs to be Xanax added to certain people's drinking water.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    While I agree that the right of self defense, up to and including use of firearms, is critical to a peaceful society there's something else big going on here.

If you read the blogs by cops in England you get a much clearer idea of what's happening to law enforcement.

POLICE INSPECTOR BLOG

The Policeman's Blog

The Duty Sgt

Law enforcement there has been completely bogged down with ridiculous bureaucracy. What is a simple shoplifting arrest that takes me 30 minutes can take hours and hours there. I can't believe how badly they are bogged down with "targets" and meaningless expectations that have nothing to do with solving crime and punishing criminals. Add all that to a judiciary that is loathe to lock up criminals, and you have offenders running loose at will in the community.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Britain is till to a degree a clash of "class"culture.
    Football is, for want of a better word, a "working" mans sport. Alcohol plays some part in the violence but it is almost an accepted way of life that after a night out on the beer you have a fight.
    Other sports such as rugby and cricket are much more middle/upper class with a different attitude to drinking and its seems, a different reaction.
    I agree with Dave our violent offences are not massively affected by gun control.
    In my near 28yr service many things have changed, firearms availabilty is not really one of them. The availability and relative increse in affluence have meant younger people consuming more alcohol for longer than ever before.
    Couple that with a decline in respect for any authority, law enforcement, parental etc etc as well as what seems to many of us an innefective court system and I think that sheds more light on the figures.
    The willingness of everyone in upper ranks to produce reems of reports and figures doesn't help either.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    Most of the violence is domestic or alcohol related, I don't see firearms being much use in those circumstances.

Alcohol related violence in the UK like some eastern european nations is part of the culture for a part of the population. Like football hooliganism it's part of their weekend.
    We realize that, it is sort of an in joke for those who understand violence has little to do with tools - which is why we laugh at you when you ban knives and refuse to arm your police.

Violence has *nothing* to do with tools - it is permitted to occur by the people.

ETA: Let me also point out that while we laugh at you, we also bleed for you - we see many of the same societal pressures that are presently trying to make us like you.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    There is loads of alcohol at Rugby, hockey and cricket matches but only very limited disorder.

Football hooliganism is almost exclusively linked to Football / soccer with a small over spill into boxing where many of the same groups follow fighters from their local town and meet with others doing the same.

It is a bizarre and a form of tribal territorialism, they gather in large groups with identifiable leaders who are good at fighting, organisation or both and arrange to meet groups from the opposing team to fight in public places. It is like inter area violence that ever officer who works in a big town or city would encounter but they often go for a pint afterwards or when the national teams play different groups will join together to fight groups from the other country.

I put it down to a lack of excitment in their everyday life or some form of inadequacy in their own self but the problem and reasons are more wide ranging that those two simple explanations.

So what you are telling me is that if Soccer hooligans came to the U.S. they would be called LSU fans.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    So what you are telling me is that if Soccer hooligans came to the U.S. they would be called LSU fans.
    Don't hate on supporters of a championship producing program out of mere jealously , Five-0. Alabama will be off of probation before you know it.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If you're not cheating you're not trying.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I'm surprised that Britain still doesn't allow most of its LEOs to carry firearms despite the high crime rate. Hope you all stay safe out there!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I'm surprised that Britain still doesn't allow most of its LEOs to carry firearms despite the high crime rate. Hope you all stay safe out there!
    Nuh uh.

Not allow, demand.

There are no consequences for violence when you defang your police - either by plan or program.

There is a lesson in there for us.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Met Wiot Police Are Too Wuff POLICE INSPECTOR BLOG

July 7, 2009 by inspectorgadget

And now. from the people who gave us the “Sanctioned Detected Rate” and the “Home Office Counting Rules” i.e those responsible for the same credit being given for the arrest of an 11 year old for throwing cream cakes as for arresting a serial burglar; comes the hindsight ivory tower judgment that:

The Metropolitan Wiot Police Are Too Wuff
    In an extraordinary statement which has left the Police Inspector Blog bewildered, the totally unbiased and not-really-posted-here-as-a-bridge-to-my-next-promotion HMIC has said that the Met TSG and other MAST officers who are specifically trained to expect and deal with violence were…. too focused on expecting and dealing with violence.

In Ruralshire Constabulary, I have to confess that the Burglary Squad is too focused on people who break into houses. The Traffic Department are clearly too busy with traffic matters and those dastardly swine in the Child Protection Team are simply too obsessed with protecting children.

Local priorities set by local people = Dog Poo.
    Here on F Division, we have taken on board the message that our prime reasons for existing in 2009 are:

1. To be terribly nice to everyone all of the time, especially criminals.
    2. To help the local council pick up dog poo.
    3. To stop children playing outside and being children.

To achieve all of this we have spent even more of your money employing teams of civilian staff, who constantly drive the public mad by telephoning them over their cornflakes to ask whether the police have been terribly nice, normally nice or not nice at all. We have also diverted the Crime Pattern Analysts away from analysing crime and re-branded them as “Performance Analysts” to count (or should that be ‘weigh’) the amount of dog poo on our streets.

We have also recently changed the way we record calls complaining about children playing outside and generally, well, being children. There now appears to be less of this, but there isn’t really. Someone just changed the input code on the IT system or something. It’s too sad to even look into in detail.

No wonder the lads all lose their rags once they get out and face the potential of a decent riot. If we were criminals, our Key Workers would call it “Projected Anger” and send us on a course.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information