Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Put this in your pipe and smoke it: MPP running ad campaign suggesting decriminalization would be kind to cash-strapped California government

SAN FRANCISCO - A pro-marijuana group is launching another television bid to legalize pot in California — this time with the pitch that legalizing and taxing the drug could help solve the state's massive budget deficit.
    The 30-second spot, paid for by the Marijuana Policy Project, features a retired 58-year-old state worker who says state leaders "are ignoring millions of Californians who want to pay taxes."
    "We're marijuana consumers," says Nadene Herndon of Fair Oaks, who says she began using marijuana after suffering multiple strokes three years ago. "Instead of being treated like criminals for using a substance safer than alcohol, we want to pay our fair share."
    State lawmakers are bitterly debating how to close a $26.3 billion budget deficit that likely means cuts to state services.
    In February, Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, a San Francisco Democrat, introduced a bill to tax and regulate marijuana like alcohol. Bill supporters estimate the state's pot industry could bring in more than $1 billion in taxes.
    The ad will air on several cable news channels and network broadcast affiliates in Los Angeles, Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay area, according to the Marijuana Policy Project.
    The group said in a statement that three California stations — KABC-TV in Los Angeles, KGO-TV of San Francisco and KNTV-TV in San Jose — refused to air the ad.
    Representatives from the three stations did not immediately return calls from The Associated Press seeking comment.
    In an e-mail to the group, a KNTV account executive said the station's standards department had rejected the ad.
    Marijuana Policy Project spokesman Bruce Mirken said the ad was meant to promote conversation about the issues, not to encourage pot use.
    "It was consciously unsensational," Mirken said. "It's time to talk about this, and we feel very frustrated that some of these stations have taken it upon themselves to stifle the discussion."
    In a phone interview, Herndon said that before filming the ad, she had not told very many people about her marijuana use. But she said her concern over the state's fiscal crisis and her support of medical marijuana led her to go public.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The problem with this argument is that no one is counting the costs associated with Marijuana. The health costs that we the taxpayers will have to pay in benefits to these idiots that have nothing left but mush in their heads. Alot of our DUIs are marijuana related. Are deaths going to go up if it becomes "legal". If there was a way to garauntee that none of these people would ever recieve public benefits then as far as I'm concerned go fuck your life up. But as long I have to pay for it then sorry I think you shouldn't be able to have the crap. As far as the "state worker" in the article, she can already qualify for a "medical prescription" of marijuana so she is covered.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

2525 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I agree with the health-related costs that this will incur. Also, consider the scientific research that suggests that marijuana is a gateway drug. Not only will the government be condoning pot use, but will be opening the door to many potential "hard" drug addicts that it will be creating.

In addition, who will be the ones cultivating the plant? Marijuana is so potent these days due to the extremely effective cultivation techniques used by the criminal element. The THC element of the drug is so much more concentrated than they were back in the days of the hippie movement, when it was popularized. I know that here in Canada, where government-sanctioned users of the drug often complain that the government cultivated plant is not as effective as the stuff made available by the illegal dealers.

This in turn has created a need even among legal users to buy the "good stuff."

In my opinion, legalizing marijuana use simply to make ends meet is the wrong reason to do it. If there is a good reason at all.
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer. "

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Bird Dog is offline Road Toad
    They should legalize MJ. That way soldiers will have something to smoke when tobacco is taken from them. Seriously why is tobacco so evil yet MJ can cure cancer???

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    They'd better think about this long and hard, because once the horse is out of the barn, it's almost impossible to put him back in:

The usage rate will skyrocket if it's legal. I wouldn't be surprised to see more people smoking grass than tobacco a few years after that law goes into effect, and a good number of them will be smoking both.

Certainly half of them will probably be underage, a population segment who drives crazy even without any drugs, and is not likely to consider it any worse to smoke while driving than tobacco..

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Don't even get me started on decriminalization of pot. I am totally against it in any form!

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Thread Information