Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

This is wrong - American flag flown upside down as a protest

Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village - Yahoo! News
    Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

By ROBERT IMRIE, Associated Press Writer Robert Imrie, Associated Press Writer Fri Jul 10, 2:44 pm ET

WAUSAU, Wis. An American flag flown upside down as a protest in a northern Wisconsin village was seized by police before a Fourth of July parade and the businessman who flew it an Iraq war veteran claims the officers trespassed and stole his property.
    A day after the parade, police returned the flag and the man's protest over a liquor license continued.
    The American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin is considering legal action against the village of Crivitz for violating Vito Congine Jr.'s' First Amendment rights, Executive Director Chris Ahmuty said.
    "It is not often that you see something this blatant," Ahmuty said.
    In mid-June, Congine, 46, began flying the flag upside down an accepted way to signal distress outside the restaurant he wants to open in Crivitz, a village of about 1,000 people some 65 miles north of Green Bay.
    He said his distress is likely bankruptcy because the village board refused to grant him a liquor license after he spent nearly $200,000 to buy and remodel a downtown building for an Italian supper club.
    Congine's upside-down-flag represents distress to him; to others in town, it represents disrespect of the flag.
    Hours before a Fourth of July parade, four police officers went to Congine's property and removed the flag under the advice of Marinette County District Attorney Allen Brey.
    Neighbor Steven Klein watched in disbelief.
    "I said, 'What are you doing?' Klein said. "They said, 'It is none of your business.'"
    The next day, police returned the flag.
    Brey declined comment Friday.
    Marinette County Sheriff Jim Kanikula said it was not illegal to fly the flag upside down but people were upset and it was the Fourth of July.
    "It is illegal to cause a disruption," he said.
    The parade went on without any problems, Kanikula said.
    Village President John Deschane, 60, an Army veteran who served in Vietnam, said many people in town believe it's disrespectful to fly the flag upside down.
    "If he wants to protest, let him protest but find a different way to do it," Deschane said.
    Congine, a Marine veteran who served in Iraq in 2004, said he intends to keep flying the flag upside down.
    "It is pretty bad when I go and fight a tyrannical government somewhere else," Congine said, "and then I come home to find it right here at my front door."

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

213th is offline Solipsist
    Usually i'm against law suits, but I hope he sues the ever living crap outta them.

I don't necessarily agree with his way to protest, but in and of itself flying the flag upside down isn't disrespectful to it.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Illegal to cause a disruption?

I fail to see how that rose to a breech of peace - the issue has been clearly identified as a first amendment issue.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I would really like to hear the city's attorney tell of the legal justification for seizing a citizen's property without due process. This disturbance justification is crap. He was on his own property. I could see an in if he was standing in the middle of a public street protesting, but this is flat out wrong.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I hope that DA is held accountable but I'm not ready to hang the individual cops out yet. I definitely think the village should pay out the nose.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    I hope that DA is held accountable but I'm not ready to hang the individual cops out yet. I definitely think the village should pay out the nose.
    My money is on an unlawful order by the egomaniac mayor. Reason number 356 why I will never work for a small municipal police department again.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    An absolute overstep by local officials. And I'm not letting the cops off as easy in this case as others. Right is right, and wrong is wrong. If I was ordered to do that, I would have said no. And I'm being honest.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Agreed, reps.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Illegal to cause a disruption?

I fail to see how that rose to a breech of peace - the issue has been clearly identified as a first amendment issue.
    Yep, didn't the Supreme Court even uphold public flag burning?

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    SCOTUS case out of your state Chuck, thought you would recall it.

Texas v. Johnson
    I'm your huckleberry...

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    If I was ordered to do that, I would have said no. And I'm being honest.

In their defense Term, I know we were told that you follow the order first and if you have a problem with it then you take it up the chain of command but you follow the order first. I got a written repremanded for questioning an order even though I followed the order, I questioned it first. So, even if the officers disagreed with the order to remove the flag they may have had to do it then questioned it after.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    The town is gonna be hurting after the lawsuit.

While it may be protected free speech, I believe that anyone offended should have the right to go kick him in the junk.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    In their defense Term, I know we were told that you follow the order first and if you have a problem with it then you take it up the chain of command but you follow the order first. I got a written repremanded for questioning an order even though I followed the order, I questioned it first. So, even if the officers disagreed with the order to remove the flag they may have had to do it then questioned it after.
    I'm simply not that officer who's going to do something illegal or immoral because it was an order from a superior at work. In fact, since when are you bound to follow illegal or immoral orders? That's the exception to following orders.

They could take any kind of action against me that they wanted afterwords, and then I'd sue, win, and buy a new car with a licence plate that said 'TxVOC.'

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    I have to agree with Term - there is no way in the world that you can make me follow an illegal order... and committing a theft from someone's private property is just that, an illegal order

The dept could write me up, suspend me, whatever they think is necessary - and I would take that butt to court and win any day of the week...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I usually don't like unions, but in that case it would be convenient to belong to a police union that will fight on your behalf in court against bullshit charges and administrative wrongs.

I joined CLEAT (Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas) specifically for that reason. They also lobby heavily in the state Legislature to kill bad bills and talk up good bills. I'm sure most states have similar organizations.

Their mission statement: "To ensure that our members' rights and interests are protected by providing exceptional legal representation, legislative and political power, assistance in labor negotiations, and leadership / association development."

CLEAT

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    I defend his right to express his feelings, but I find it very dis-tasteful, and coming from a fellow Marine, a little upsetting. He could have found another way to protest. He was was not in "distress". If he feels like that's the way to protest, my way to protest his method would be to never eat or drink in his establishment whether he gets his liquor license or not, and whether his is the only eatery in the town. He'd never see a penny of my money, except in the lawsuit he wins and my taxes he takes to the bank after winning it.
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JSO85360 View Post
    I defend his right to express his feelings, but I find it very dis-tasteful, and coming from a fellow Marine, a little upsetting. He could have found another way to protest. He was was not in "distress". If he feels like that's the way to protest, my way to protest his method would be to never eat or drink in his establishment whether he gets his liquor license or not, and whether his is the only eatery in the town. He'd never see a penny of my money, except in the lawsuit he wins and my taxes he takes to the bank after winning it.
    Some Marines, and for that matter Airmen, Sailors, and Soldiers - are becoming distressed at the fact that politicians are wiping their ass with the Constitution.

Protest is sometimes distasteful.
    I'm your huckleberry...

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I hope the city pays the 200,000 he has spent and then some.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Some Marines, and for that matter Airmen, Sailors, and Soldiers - are becoming distressed at the fact that politicians are wiping their ass with the Constitution.

Protest is sometimes distasteful.
    Agreed, but we get a chance every election to get rid of them. Our country isn't perfect, and never will be, but I'd rather be here than anywhere else. Just from the replies here defending him and his right to protest, his method of protest, is reason enough to realize this is the best country to be in. Some places would just send their royal guards over to kill him and burn his building down, and possibly kill all his relatives. I like the land of the free, even if it isn't "free".
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

Thread Information