Welcome to the APBWeb.
    HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Mexico: police ambushed by gangs

Drug related gang violence is nothing new in Mexico, but I can't help but think that they're already here. NF, La Eme, Surenos, MS-13, etc...

5 federal agents, 2 soldiers killed in Mexican gang ambushes | lohud.com | The Journal News

5 federal agents, 2 soldiers killed in Mexican gang ambushes
    By The Associated Press • July 12, 2009

MORELIA, Mexico (AP) - Gunmen boldly attacked federal forces across the western state of Michoacan yesterday, killing five federal agents and two soldiers after the capture of a suspected drug cartel operative.

Ten other federal agents were wounded in the ambushes.

Convoys of heavily armed gunmen tossed grenades and opened fire on police stations in the state capital of Morelia and in five other cities between 5 a.m. and 9 a.m. (6 a.m.-10 a.m. EDT, 1000-1300 GMT) Saturday. Assailants also shot up a hotel where federal agents were staying in Apatzingan, according to the state attorney general's office.

The attacks were among the boldest frontal offenses carried out against the government. They appeared to be in retaliation for the arrest of Arnoldo Rueda Medina, an alleged member of La Familia drug cartel, which is based in Michoacan.

Rueda was allegedly in charge of operations under reputed La Familia leaders Nazario Moreno Gonzalez and Jose de Jesus Mendez Vargas, who are both on Mexico's most-wanted list of drug suspects, said federal police coordinator Gen. Rodolfo Cruz.

Rueda was captured in Morelia before 5 a.m. on Saturday. Minutes later, a group of more than two dozen hit men tossed fragmentation grenades and opened fire on federal police offices where Rueda was being held.

Three agents were injured in the grenade attacks before officers were able to fend off the aggressors, Cruz said.

The violence then spread across the picturesque Pacific coast state.

In Zitacuaro, a mountain town famous for its Monarch butterfly nesting grounds, three federal agents were killed Saturday, and two soldiers were fatally shot in the town of Zamora. Other officers were wounded in attacks in Apatzingan, Patzcuaro, and Huetamo.

Two federal agents were killed and three others were wounded along a highway between Morelia and the port City of Lazaro Cardenas on Saturday afternoon when dozens of gunmen ambushed their patrol cars, according to the state attorney general's office.

Many of Saturday's attacks occurred in towns where federal forces arrested mayors in May in an unprecedented sweep against politicians accused of protecting cartels. Eight mayors remain jailed on organized-crime charges.

President Felipe Calderon's home state of Michoacan has been at the center of his drug war. Calderon has sent more than 45,000 troops to the state and other drug hotspots throughout the nation, and gangs have responded with unprecedented bloodshed.

Drug violence has killed more than 11,000 people nationwide since 2006, when Calderon took office.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05 View Post
    Drug related gang violence is nothing new in Mexico, but I can't help but think that they're already here. NF, La Eme, Surenos, MS-13, etc...
    Those of us that have been copping in the Southwest for a while would tend to agree.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    I'm not sure anyone can tell the difference between the druggies, the cops and much of the military any more down there. I am glad I don't work down there.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

It's okay. I'm a trained professional. I got your back, bro!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Maybe the police need to start ambushing the gangs.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    Those of us that have been copping in the Southwest for a while would tend to agree.
    Though I am not a LEO, but as I live in a border state, too. I would agree as well. They are migrating to other areas of our country, too.

Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Maybe the police need to start ambushing the gangs.
    That would be a nice start, but many of the police down there are as corrupt as the gangs that they pursue, so I am told.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    That would be a nice start, but many of the police down there are as corrupt as the gangs that they pursue, so I am told.
    WHOA, WHOA, whoa!!

I REALLY hope you're talking about Mexican cops, here.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    WHOA, WHOA, whoa!!

I REALLY hope you're talking about Mexican cops, here.
    Absolutely, since I am in your neighboring state of California, I usually refer to "down there" as "south of the US border". Perhaps, I should have better explained myself. I would never refer to an American cop as corrupt. If I had, I would have been banned along time ago.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

No problem. I know you're far enough north to still refer to a lot of California as "down there," so I was just checking.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Whew!!! I don't like nor want to make enemies out of my own country's police force. In some cases it could get me put in jail, or worse killed. Same goes for the US Military.

Not a LEO

Thread Information