Welcome to the APBWeb.
    213th is offline Solipsist

27,900 counts Accessory to Murder

MUNICH German prosecutors formally charged John Demjanjuk on Monday with 27,900 counts of being an accessory to murder at a Nazi death camp during World War II.
    The charges against the 89-year-old retired auto worker, who was deported from the U.S. in May, were filed at a Munich state court, prosecutors in the city said in a brief statement.
    Doctors cleared the way for formal charges earlier this month, determining that Demjanjuk was fit to stand trial so long as court hearings do not exceed two 90-minute sessions per day.

The court must now decide whether to accept the charges usually a formality and set a date for the trial. Court spokeswoman Margarete Noetzel said the trial was unlikely to start before the autumn.
    Demjanjuk lawyer Guenther Maull had no immediate comment on the charges, saying he had not yet seen them.
    Charges of accessory to murder carry a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison in Germany.
    Prosecutors accuse Demjanjuk of serving as a guard at the Sobibor camp in Nazi-occupied Poland in 1943.

Demjanjuk, a native of Ukraine, says he was a Red Army soldier who spent the war as a prisoner of war and never hurt anyone.
    But Nazi-era documents obtained by U.S. justice authorities and shared with German prosecutors include a photo ID identifying Demjanjuk as a guard at the Sobibor death camp and saying he was trained at an SS facility for Nazi guards at Trawniki, also in Nazi-occupied Poland. U.S. and German experts have declared the ID genuine.
    Demjanjuk gained U.S. citizenship in 1958. The U.S. Justice Department moved to revoke the citizenship in 1977, alleging he hid his past as a Nazi death camp guard, and it was revoked in 1981.
    Demjanjuk was tried in Israel over accusations that he was the notorious "Ivan the Terrible" at the Treblinka death camp in Poland. He was found guilty in 1988 of war crimes and crimes against humanity but the conviction was overturned by the Israeli Supreme Court.

That decision came after Israel won access to Soviet archives, which had depositions given after the war by 37 Treblinka guards and forced laborers who said "Ivan" was a different Ukrainian named Ivan Marchenko.
    Demjanjuk's U.S. citizenship was restored in 1998. However, a U.S. judge revoked it again in 2002 based on fresh Justice Department evidence showing he concealed his service at Sobibor and other Nazi-run death and forced-labor camps from immigration officials.
    A U.S. immigration judge ruled in 2005 he could be deported to Germany, Poland or Ukraine. Munich prosecutors issued an arrest warrant for him in March.
    They accused him in that warrant of being an accessory to murder in 29,000 cases. However, that number was reduced in the charges because, of the people transported to Sobibor, "many did not survive the journey," said Anton Winkler, a spokesman for Munich prosecutors.
    Efraim Zuroff, the top Nazi-hunter at the Simon Wiesenthal Center, welcomed the filing of formal charges.
    "This is obviously an important step forward," Zuroff said by telephone from Jerusalem. "We hope that the trial itself will be expedited so that justice will be achieved and he can be given the appropriate punishment."
    "The effort to bring Demjanjuk to justice sends a very powerful message that the passage of time in no way diminishes the guilt of the perpetrator," Zuroff said.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Go to the below web site for a German prespective of this incident. I think it is very interesting; the don't seem bothered by it.

International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten

or
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/...635825,00.html
    Last edited by bayern; 07-13-09 at 11:16 AM. Reason: add reference

Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Go to the below web site for a German prespective of this incident. I think it is very interesting; the don't seem bothered by it.

International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten

or
    27,900 Counts of Accessory to Murder: Prosecutors Charge Alleged Nazi Camp Guard Demjanjuk - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International
    I'm not bothered by it either. I think it's good they are still going to try him. Time between crime and punishment of it shouldn't matter. He still did it and it's unfortunate that he spent so many years without being punished for it. His just rewards won't come while he is on this earth, however, the remaining time he does have should be spent in prison. Hopefully the conviction will carry the death penalty.

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I'm not bothered by it either. I think it's good they are still going to try him. Time between crime and punishment of it shouldn't matter. He still did it and it's unfortunate that he spent so many years without being punished for it. His just rewards won't come while he is on this earth, however, the remaining time he does have should be spent in prison. Hopefully the conviction will carry the death penalty.
    Neither am I. The point of my references is the way the Germans look at it. If, just IF, the Damnokrats decide to have hearings on the CIA and Chaney, what will their defenses be: I was just doing what I was told? Kinda against the Nurenburg decisions that the killings were illegal; no order can make you do an illegal act. Interesting. BTW, Germany doesn't have a Death Penelty. IF he is found guilty, I suspect he will only get 7 yrs (if he lasts that long).

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That decision came after Israel won access to Soviet archives, which had depositions given after the war by 37 Treblinka guards and forced laborers who said "Ivan" was a different Ukrainian named Ivan Marchenko.
    Witch hunt?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Neither am I. The point of my references is the way the Germans look at it. If, just IF, the Damnokrats decide to have hearings on the CIA and Chaney, what will their defenses be: I was just doing what I was told? Kinda against the Nurenburg decisions that the killings were illegal; no order can make you do an illegal act. Interesting. BTW, Germany doesn't have a Death Penelty. IF he is found guilty, I suspect he will only get 7 yrs (if he lasts that long).
    I didn't realize that. What a shame.

Yeah, that will be interesting to see how that plays out, if (when) they hold the hearings.

Thread Information