Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Talking Wheels enable 3-legged sheep to keep walking

On a hot summer day in the Texas Hill Country, a variety of animals seek shelter from the sweltering sun in the shade of oak trees on the sprawling 200-acre Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Center in Kendalia.

All of the animals have a special story about how they came to live at the rescue. There's a blind cow, a goat with floppy legs that walks on his knees, a longhorn who nearly ended up mounted on his former owner's wall, and then there's Wylie, the 3-legged sheep.

"A predator had gotten hold of him and he lost one of his legs," said rescue founder Lynn Cuny telling the story of how Wylie arrived at the ranch.

Wylie was just a lamb at the time, but his back right leg was beyond repair.

"An amputation had taken place and he was just not doing well," Cuny said.

She and her staff nursed Wylie back to health, but it became clear he would likely never be able to walk. They were faced with two options, euthanize an otherwise healthy animal or find a way to make his life easier. Cuny chose not give up and began an exhaustive search to find a way to help Wylie get around. The search led to New York where they found a company that makes customized carts for disabled animals. Measurements were taken and casts were made for leg braces. In a few weeks, the cart arrived at the ranch. It was time to see if Wylie could use it.

"He was a little shy about the idea at first," Cuny said.

Once they strapped Wylie into the contraption he settled down and let staff members push the cart slowly as he moved his wobbly legs to keep up. That was three weeks ago. While he's not breaking any land speed records, Wylie is getting used to his new set of wheels.

"This is something very different for him," Cuny said watching the young sheep struggle. "When he actually does get moving, he's got wheels and it's kind of an accelerated pace and I think there's a part of him that thinks that's kind of neat, but it is still an adjustment."

To help Wylie adjust, staffers put him in the cart a few times a day for about 20 minutes. The workout sessions are helping him build strength and stamina as well as confidence. Cuny said she's seen the determination in Wylie's eyes and believes his spirit has been lifted.

"He's up, his legs are under him and he can move about so you know it's a good thing physically and mentally," she said.

The cart has helped Wylie keep up with his best friend Puddin the goat and Cuny said the pair are inseparable.

"If you find Wylie you find Puddin and vice versa, and she (Puddin) thinks it's a little odd but she's coming along," she said.

The cart wasn't cheap, it cost the rescue around $2,000, but seeing how it has changed the sheep's life makes it worth every penny to Cuny.

"It took a lot to do it but every life is worth saving," Cuny said. "His life is certainly diminished because he's not out there just roaming around freely but he wants to live."

Wylie will live out the remainder of his life at the rescue with the other permanent residents. Cuny said if all goes well he could survive the next 10 to 12 years thanks to his four wheeled cart. If you would like to help the rescue cover some of Wylie's expenses, you can sign up to be his sponsor. For more information contact the Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation center in Kendalia.

4-Wheeling, 3-Legged Sheep Walks On
    Customized Cart Helps Sheep Get Around
    By Tim Gerber | KSAT.com

POSTED: Friday, July 10, 2009
    UPDATED: 10:17 pm CDT July 10, 2009
    SAN ANTONIO --

Video here: 4-Wheeling, 3-Legged Sheep Walks On - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What a waste of $$$ They should have just turned him into lamb chops
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    ==

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I don't see "customized cart" on here anywhere.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I don't see "customized cart" on here anywhere.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    They could have worked with an agricultural college for this and gotten it cheaper, along with a study on the plasticity of sheep brains in overcoming physical limitations.

Not sure what the study would be useful for, but it sounds good.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    ==
    You mean to tell me you don't like being eaten?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    You mean to tell me you don't like being eaten?

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    You know..there is something really funny to say here...but...damn it..I have got to watch my mouth.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    I have no problems with the article..I think what they did was wonderful. If the life of the little guy could be saved and he can live a happy life...why not? Cute little thing. And the rescue sounds like a lot of what I did when I rescued...if they had a problem...I took them in.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Anthropomorphism at it's best.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    I have no problems with the article..I think what they did was wonderful. If the life of the little guy could be saved and he can live a happy life...why not? Cute little thing. And the rescue sounds like a lot of what I did when I rescued...if they had a problem...I took them in.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The money spent on that sheep could have gone towards an artificial limb for a soldier - or any other human.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    The money spent on that sheep could have gone towards an artificial limb for a soldier - or any other human.
    I agree.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    ...along with a study on the plasticity of sheep brains.
    It probably has about the same plasticity as liver pâté when smeared on bread

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    True...and so could the millions of dollars we waste on people bilking the welfare system etc, etc, etc....

For a rescue, who incidently rescues animals, this makes sense..this is what they do. Look to the government for not taking care of its own. Its like comparing apples and oranges Maclean. And I am a huge supporter of taking care of our vets but to compare to this doesnt make any sense to me.

(and I am coming to the conclusion that you and I are never going to agree on some issues. LOL I do respect your opinion though...even if you dont mine. )

Thread Information