Welcome to the APBWeb.
    MisterK is offline Monkey Man

UTSA to investigate complaint of racism

An investigation has been launched into complaints of racism in the classroom made by a student at the University of Texas at San Antonio, said David Gabler, a university spokesman.

According to a notice released by 56-year-old student Eliseo Ordaz, he staged a sit-in and hunger fast on campus Monday to protest "racial discrimination in UTSA's English Department."

Gabler said Ordaz complained to officials that a William Faulkner novel assigned by one of his professors contained a derogatory name for black people and that unfavorable comments about minorities were made in class.

Officials reached an agreement with Ordaz on Monday, promising to open a new investigation into his claims and to interview the professor and every student in the class, Gabler said.

The university's office of institutional diversity had previously investigated Ordaz's complaints and found no basis for discrimination, Gabler said.

Ordaz was not happy with that outcome, Gabler said, and organized the sit-in to protest.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met....6a54bc50.html
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Prometheus is offline Senior Member
    Gabler said Ordaz complained to officials that a William Faulkner novel assigned by one of his professors contained a derogatory name for black people and that unfavorable comments about minorities were made in class.
    It's called literature you moron!

and that unfavorable comments about minorities were made in class.
    I thought the university setting was all about the free exchange of ideas? I've sat through a class that was 80% white-bashing. My "History of the Native American" class professor was a Anglophobe (<- like that?), and spent my valuable class time bitching about the crimes of "The Dominant Society". Did I go running to school officials? No. Baby.
    "Look, just give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with you!"

Thread Information