Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Milan to enforce teen drink ban

I'd like to see the breakdown of wine / spirits consumption.

Milan to enforce teen drink ban

By David Willey
    BBC News, Rome

Milan has banned the consumption and sale of alcohol to young teenagers in an effort to curb binge-drinking.

Parents of children under the age of 16 caught drinking wine or spirits will be liable to heavy fines of up to 500 Euros ($700;450).

A third of 11-year-olds in the city have alcohol related problems, it says.

In a country where for centuries wine has been part of local culture - and prohibition would be unthinkable - the ban has come as a shock.

But the authorities are deeply concerned about the increase in consumption of alcohol by children as young as 11 in the country's industrial and financial capital.

So as an experiment, supplying alcohol - either wine or spirits - to youths under the age of 16 in bars, restaurants, pizza shops and liquor stores will be banned.

Heavy fines will be imposed on the parents of offending children and on shopkeepers or bar owners who serve them.

A national law banning the sale of alcohol to under-16s is only loosely enforced, as Italian families are used to sometimes giving young children a teaspoon of wine as a family party treat.

In past centuries, Italian children would sometimes even be given wine to drink in preference to water which was often polluted.

There has been a storm of protest by bar owners who refuse to act as alcohol police for young people.

But changing social customs mean that old easy-going attitudes towards consumption of alcohol in Italy will have to change.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What are they going to use for comedy now? Nothing better then a drunk 11 year old running head first into a wall
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    What are they going to use for comedy now? Nothing better then a drunk 11 year old running head first into a wall
    Don't all 11 year olds do that or was it just me? I also ramped my bike into several obstacles which I was trying to jump OVER.

Iron Head is offline Smooth talking, silver tongued SheepDog.
    Verified LEO

Thumbs down

They have being doing that forever, even when I was over there. Why change now, a whole nation of drunk kids.
    "An Unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Jeff Cooper"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to vist violence on those who would do us harm"
    George Orwell
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

Thread Information