Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Black scholar's arrest raises profiling questions

Black scholar's arrest raises profiling questions

By MELISSA TRUJILLO, Associated Press Writer Melissa Trujillo, Associated Press Writer 1 hr 28 mins ago
    BOSTON – Police responding to a call about "two black males" breaking into a home near Harvard University ended up arresting the man who lives there — Henry Louis Gates Jr., the nation's pre-eminent black scholar.
    Gates had forced his way through the front door because it was jammed, his lawyer said. Colleagues call the arrest last Thursday afternoon a clear case of racial profiling.
    Cambridge police say they responded to the well-maintained two-story home after a woman reported seeing "two black males with backpacks on the porch," with one "wedging his shoulder into the door as if he was trying to force entry."
    By the time police arrived, Gates was already inside. Police say he refused to come outside to speak with an officer, who told him he was investigating a report of a break-in.
    "Why, because I'm a black man in America?" Gates said, according to a police report written by Sgt. James Crowley. The Cambridge police refused to comment on the arrest Monday.
    Gates — the director of Harvard's W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research — initially refused to show the officer his identification, but then gave him a Harvard University ID card, according to police.
    "Gates continued to yell at me, accusing me of racial bias and continued to tell me that I had not heard the last of him," the officer wrote.
    Gates said he turned over his driver's license and Harvard ID — both with his photos — and repeatedly asked for the name and badge number of the officer, who refused. He said he then followed the officer as he left his house onto his front porch, where he was handcuffed in front of other officers, Gates said in a statement released by his attorney, fellow Harvard scholar Charles Ogletree, on a Web site Gates oversees, TheRoot.com
    He was arrested on a disorderly conduct charge after police said he "exhibited loud and tumultuous behavior." He was released later that day on his own recognizance. An arraignment was scheduled for Aug. 26.
    Gates, 58, also refused to speak publicly Monday, referring calls to Ogletree.
    "He was shocked to find himself being questioned and shocked that the conversation continued after he showed his identification," Ogletree said.
    Ogletree declined to say whether he believed the incident was racially motivated, saying "I think the incident speaks for itself."
    Some of Gates' African-American colleagues say the arrest is part of a pattern of racial profiling in Cambridge.
    Allen Counter, who has taught neuroscience at Harvard for 25 years, said he was stopped on campus by two Harvard police officers in 2004 after being mistaken for a robbery suspect. They threatened to arrest him when he could not produce identification.
    "We do not believe that this arrest would have happened if professor Gates was white," Counter said. "It really has been very unsettling for African-Americans throughout Harvard and throughout Cambridge that this happened."
    The Rev. Al Sharpton is vowing to attend Gates' arraignment.
    "This arrest is indicative of at best police abuse of power or at worst the highest example of racial profiling I have seen," Sharpton said. "I have heard of driving while black and even shopping while black but now even going to your own home while black is a new low in police community affairs."
    Ogletree said Gates had returned from a trip to China on Thursday with a driver, when he found his front door jammed. He went through the back door into the home — which he leases from Harvard — shut off an alarm and worked with the driver to get the door open. The driver left, and Gates was on the phone with the property's management company when police first arrived.
    Ogletree also disputed the claim that Gates, who was wearing slacks and a polo shirt and carrying a cane, was yelling at the officer.
    "He has an infection that has impacted his breathing since he came back from China, so he's been in a very delicate physical state," Ogletree said.
    Lawrence D. Bobo, the W.E.B Du Bois Professor of the Social Sciences at Harvard, said he met with Gates at the police station and described his colleague as feeling humiliated and "emotionally devastated."
    "It's just deeply disappointing but also a pointed reminder that there are serious problems that we have to wrestle with," he said.
    Bobo said he hoped Cambridge police would drop the charges and called on the department to use the incident to review training and screening procedures it has in place.
    The Middlesex district attorney's office said it could not do so until after Gates' arraignment. The woman who reported the apparent break-in did not return a message Monday.
    Gates joined the Harvard faculty in 1991 and holds one of 20 prestigious "university professors" positions at the school. He also was host of "African American Lives," a PBS show about the family histories of prominent U.S. blacks, and was named by Time magazine as one of the 25 most influential Americans in 1997.
    "I was obviously very concerned when I learned on Thursday about the incident," Harvard president Drew Gilpin Faust said in a statement. "He and I spoke directly and I have asked him to keep me apprised."
    Anyone want to bet that Gates went on the defensive immediately and gave the officers a load of crap? The statement "They threatened to arrest him when he could not produce identification." during an earlier encounter indicates to me that he is pretty impressed with himself and thinks he is above being suspected of anything, even if the police don't know him from Adam. I wonder how he would feel about it if it was a real burglary and the suspect was caught.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    It always goes to the white - black thing, me personnally don't give a rat's ass what color a person is. I say just do your job and treat people like you would like to be teated until they start being an ass, then the game changes.

In my six years in this city, working the northside (local cops know what I am taking about) would rather work this side of the city than the other.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    To summarize: What happens when an "imminent scholar" fails the common sense quiz?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    "We do not believe that this arrest would have happened if professor Gates was white," Counter said.
    Well, no shit. The call was for two Black suspects.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    It always goes to the white - black thing, me personnally don't give a rat's ass what color a person is. I say just do your job and treat people like you would like to be teated until they start being an ass, then the game changes.

+1000
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    Don't bring logic into this discussion, Irishmick.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    Exactly. And kudos to the person who reported what they thought was a break-in.

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    Mo money for the ghetto lottery. Talk about racist....did anyone see the picture of this bigot with the other bigot.. Spikey Lee
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    I'm assuming they're screaming racist cops because it's a mostly White town?
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    A little bit of respect goes a long way, and I'm not talking on the cop's end. I could get caught actively crawling through my front window, and because I'm polite and could reasonably explain my actions, as well as supplying my DL#, could prove my identity and everyone would be happy and could go about their day. But NOOOOO, this dumbass reminds me of the guy in Atlanta a couple years back who was busted Jaywalking and tried to cause a huge stink about it being racially motivated. Grrrr.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    this fucking story pisses me off so much.

first off, the descritpion of 2 black males apearing to force entry into the house is a FACT, and was not made up by the police, but was reported to them by a concerned neighbor. so obviously they are going to investigate a possible burglary in progress. it could have just as easily been 2 white males forcing entry into a residence with backpacks on (yes, burglars use backpacks on occassion to carry away your valuables), and the police would have responded to the residence the same way. its not about catching a black guy, its about catching a felon.

so the police show up, and there is a black male in the house (well, that matches the limited descritpion they have been provided). so they possibly have a burglary suspect...at this point they dont exactly know what they have, but they do need to investigate further. they ask the guy for ID and he refuses, and instantly plays the race card saying "why, cause im a black man in america?" no asshole, cause youre a black man that may or may not have just burglarized this fucking house. a simple "officer, here is my ID, i live here, the door was jammed so i had to force my way in but thanks for your concern and i appreciate the quick response here in your effort to protect my life/property" would have made for a pleasant interaction and would have sent the officers on their way in less then 30 seconds.

did he expect to not cooperate and have the officers just say "fuck it" and leave. this could have been a serious crime in progress...obviously, it turned out not be, but how are the officer's supposed to know this racist asshole (yes professor douchebag, you are the racist in this scenario, not the officers) lives here if hes not giving them anything to go on? at this point, all they know is this guy may have just broken into this house, and hes being a complete asshole.

so in the end it turns out the guy lives there. ok. did the guy need to be arrested...probably not. but i put this one under a "humble." you wanna be a dick and yell and scream in your own house, be my guest. The second you step out into my house (the street) and continue that behavior, youre shit out of luck.

this guy is a professor at Harvard...i can only imagine the kind of rhetoric and hate speech that he passes on to his students on a daily basis. no wonder all these hoity toity ivy league (liberal) types turn out to be such asshats. its being spoon fed to them regularly
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    ... and here we go:

Obama: Cambridge police acted 'stupidly'

After spending most of an hour patiently reiterating his arguments for changing the health insurance system, President Barack Obama turned his press conference sharply toward an iconic moment in American race relations: The arrest of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. earlier this week by the Cambridge Police.

Gates was arrested for allegedly disorderly conduct -- a charge that was quickly dropped -- after a confrontation with a police officer inside his own home. Though some facts of the case are still in dispute, Obama showed little doubt about who had been wronged.

"I don’t know – not having been there and not seeing all the facts – what role race played in that, but I think it’s fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two that he Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home," Obama said in response to a question from the Chicago Sun-Times's Lynn Sweet.
    Gates, Obama allowed, "is a friend, so I may be a little biased here. I don't know all the facts."
    However Gates, he continued, "jimmied his way to get into [his own] house."

"There was a report called in to the police station that there might be a burglary taking place – so far so good," Obama said, reflecting that he'd hope the police were called if he were seen breaking into his own house, then pausing.

"I guess this is my house now," he remarked of the White House. "Here I’d get shot."
    Undergirding the long digression, though, was Obama's place as a new symbol of racial reconciliation, and his long past in the trenches of the politics of race and discrimination in the Illinois State Senate.
    "Separate and apart from this incident is that there’s a long history in this country of African-American and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately," the president said, eagerly engaging the issue of racial profiling, a concern earlier in his career that has seen little White House attention to date.

"That’s just a fact," Obama said of profiling. "That doesn't lessen the incredibly progress that has been made."
    The link (with video of his comments):

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi..._stupidly.html

In the video, Obama says, "... blacks and hispanics are picked up more frequently, and often for no cause..."

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    As I said elsewhere...

The Cambridge cops are screwed. Whether or not they were wrong (and I see nothing so far that says they were!), the press and the President (nice to know he's got nothing else to occupy his time... I mean, the economy is doing so well, and those pesky Afghanis and Iranians and Iraqis aren't really that far out of line anymore, right? Not to mention China and North Korea...) have already decided that the Cambridge cops screwed up.

Think the feds are already doing the civil rights investigation? Anyone wanna bet that the fastest route to the unemployment line for an AUSA would be to find there was no violation of Gates's rights?
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Barry, for the record, you and your race baiting cronies are assholes.

You went off half cocked on national television. Hell, the way things are stacking, this officer has plenty to sue over, from defamation of character and beyond.

Hey Barry, did you notice the photo of your dear friend beiing led away screaming like an asshole? Did you notice that the sergeant leading the scene was black?

It's readily apparent you hate street cops. You wouldn't take the time to come to our week of rememberance and you besmirch us in the national media.

Fuck you and your socialist parade. Should I even have the displeasure of meeting you, I will turn my back on you. I don't give a fuck who you are because it's clear you don't care one shit about me or my sisters and brothers in blue.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    This is another reason why I'm glad I'm out. I would NOT want to be investigated by Obama's justice dept over any allegations involving race. I know I'd lose. Does anyone else get the feeling that now that he's in office, there is an undercurrent of "I'm gonna stick it to whitey" up there now? I mean, we all know his transparancy promises were a lie. But his comments about this paticular situation are appalling. And to echo earlier sentiments............

Fuck him.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    ... and here we go:

The link (with video of his comments):

Obama: Cambridge police acted 'stupidly' - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

In the video, Obama says, "... blacks and hispanics are picked up more frequently, and often for no cause..."
    This story infuriates me to no end. Here we have THE PRESIDENT jumping on this bandwagon and instead of setting a good example for ALL people by remaining impartial, he chose to side with his friend and bring race into it. He needed to either keep quiet about it or admit that he wasn't there and thereby didn't have all the facts of the matter. Good job of setting an example of fairness. Good job of jumping on the "the police are automatically wrong when they arrest someone" bandwagon. Thank you, Mr President.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    OBAMA IS A NATIONAL DISGRACE.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Officer at eye of storm says he won’t apologize - The Boston Globe

Sergeant at eye of storm says he won't apologize

By Globe Staff | July 23, 2009
    This story was reported by Jonathan Saltzman, John R. Ellement, and Erica Noonan of the Globe Staff. It was written by Saltzman.
    When Sergeant James M. Crowley climbed the front steps of Henry Louis Gates Jr.’s house last week and unexpectedly placed himself in international headlines, it was not the first time he had a memorable encounter in the line of duty with a prominent black man. Nearly 16 years ago, as a Brandeis University police officer, Crowley desperately tried to save the life of Reggie Lewis after the Boston Celtics star collapsed while practicing in the school gym.
    “It bothers him terribly that he couldn’t save him,’’ Crowley’s 74-year-old mother, Verina Crowley, said yesterday, speaking of her son and the famous basketball player.
    Yesterday, as President Obama condemned the Cambridge Police Department during a prime-time White House news conference and Crowley steadfastly refused to issue the apol ogy that Gates has sought, a fuller picture began to emerge of the 42-year-old sergeant who arrested the Harvard scholar last week on a charge of disorderly conduct on the porch of Gates’s Cambridge house.
    Crowley was a certified emergency medical technician when he performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on Lewis, to no avail, after the player’s heart stopped on July 27, 1993. In a Globe interview later that day, Crowley said he rushed to the university’s Shapiro Gymnasium, confirmed that Lewis had no pulse, and frantically tried to revive him.
    “I just kept on going,’’ he said. “I just kept thinking, ‘Don’t let him die - just don’t die.’ ’’
    Now, 16 years later, he stands accused of racism by Gates, one of the foremost scholars on race in America. Gates had just arrived home to his Cambridge house from a trip abroad to find his front door stuck shut. As he and the driver who brought him from the airport tried to push it open, a passerby called police with a report of a possible break-in. Crowley arrived and demanded that Gates, now inside, show him identification. Crowley’s police report said Gates behaved belligerently when he questioned him, which Gates denied. Authorities dropped the charge Tuesday after it ignited accusations of racism.
    But people who know Crowley were skeptical or outright dismissive of allegations of racism. A prominent defense lawyer, a neighbor of Crowley’s, his union, and fellow officers described him yesterday as a respected, and respectful, officer who performs his job well and has led his colleagues in diversity training.
    “He’s evenhanded and, in the cases I’ve had with him, he’s been very much in control and very professional,’’ said Joseph W. Monahan III, a criminal defense lawyer in Cambridge and former Middlesex County prosecutor. Monahan has represented several defendants arrested by Crowley for domestic assaults and for drunken driving.
    Crowley himself, speaking to the Globe yesterday and again last night in Natick, said he will not apologize and asserted, “I am not a racist.’’
    Crowley’s police union issued a statement saying it had reviewed the arrest of Gates and expressed “full and unqualified support’’ for his actions.
    “Sergeant Crowley is a highly respected veteran supervisor with a distinguished record in the Cambridge Police Department,’’ said the Cambridge Police Superior Officers Association. “His actions at the scene of this matter were consistent with his training, with the informed policies and practices of the Department, and with applicable legal standards.’’
    The city’s Police Review and Advisory Board, which is independent of the Police Department, has set a meeting July 29 to decide whether to launch a formal inquiry into the incident, according to board investigator Joseph Johnson. He said Gates had not filed a complaint with the board and that no one has filed a complaint against Crowley in the last 12 months.
    Crowley, during one of the interviews outside his South Natick home, said he was not authorized to discuss the controversy.
    “As much as I’d like to respond, I really can’t,’’ said the married father of three, who coaches youth basketball and plays on a local softball team.
    His neighbor Ed Shagory, a retired lawyer, was less reticent. He said he has been friends with Crowley for more than 17 years, and “I think the world of him and his family.’’
    Shagory said he was upset by the criticism leveled against the officer and questioned Gates’s statement that the confrontation had inspired the Harvard professor to consider making a documentary about racial profiling.
    “I think the idea of him already planning a documentary is very premature, and a very unnecessary thing to say before all the facts are even in,’’ Shagory said.
    Crowley joined Cambridge police around 1998, according to Sergeant James DeFrancesco, an aide to police Commissioner Robert C. Haas, who was unavailable for comment.
    Verina Crowley said James is the third of her four sons, all in law enforcement. Two brothers, Jack and Joseph, also work for the Cambridge police. The fourth, Daniel, is a Middlesex County deputy sheriff.
    Verina Crowley said her sons were raised mostly in the Fresh Pond neighborhood where she still lives, attended racially diverse Cambridge public schools, and graduated from Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School, where she worked for 26 years.
    “He is not a racist,’’ she said in the hallway of her home. And Gates “is not the first black person he ever met in his life.’’
    Her children, she said, had black friends over to their home while growing up. James Crowley is still friends with one of those youngsters, now a Cambridge firefighter, she said.
    “They grew up with black kids, white kids, kids who didn’t have parents, kids who had two parents - everything you can think of,’’ she recalled. Tolerance “wasn’t something you taught,’’ she said. “You just lived it.’’
    Her son, she said, remains haunted by the events of that summer day, nearly 16 years ago, when as a Brandeis police officer he was dispatched to the college gym to help an unconscious man - who turned out to be Lewis.
    After confirming that the Celtics guard had no pulse, Crowley and another officer began performing CPR, according to an account in the Globe.
    “My immediate indication was that I thought he was dead,’’ Crowley said at the time. An ambulance arrived and took Lewis to Waltham-Weston Hospital, but he could not be revived.
    Yesterday, more than a dozen Cambridge police officers working at Harvard and Central squares declined to comment for attribution about the controversy.
    But several officers, all of them white, described Crowley as a well-liked officer, and one dismissed the allegations of racism.
    That officer, who insisted on anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters, said, “Racism is not part of it, and that is what is frustrating. The fact that the Police Department dropped the charges makes the police officer look like he is wrong.’’
    Globe correspondent Jazmine Ulloa contributed to this report.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

ANI4ANI is offline Served my city 1972-1997
    Verified LEO
    The Rev. Al Sharpton is vowing to attend Gates' arraignment.
    He lives for these stories.

I have to add. I watched the video after my first post of Osamabama stating if he were to jimmy the lock on his door in DC, he'd get shot. What did I just hear from the President? It just pissed me off. I turned it off immediately after the press was laughing at his attempt to make a joke. The President of the United States making such a remark is beyond my imagination. Guys, this is getting real scary. His disrespect for the law and his feeling of being untouchable is showing it's ugly face. I'll pray that you guys remain safe and get the tools/laws to do the job correctly. But, it sure isn't looking good for LE and the big court decisions in the near future may rule against logic for a safe America. The ACLU must be waiting for their time to bounce on this story.
    Last edited by ANI4ANI; 07-23-09 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Additional comments.
    As today's police officers you are not unlike your counterparts of years past. You are an elite group of select members, a brotherhood of highly trained professionals, who are called upon to protect your community in a time of need. Guardians for safety. Being a police officer is not for the faint of heart. You must be honest, trustworthy and fearless in the face of evil. You are being watched everyday. Represent yourself, your department and the shield, for it should always be the embodiment of all that is good and justly. You are the thin blue line. Be proud, be tough and be safe.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Link to full arrest report:

Henry Louis Gates Arrest Reports

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information