Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Mystery substance sickens La. cops

-AP

A mystery substance found in a truck that authorities believe was hauling narcotics has sickened numerous law enforcement officers in Louisiana, and at least 18 have been quarantined as a precaution.

Roberto Bryan Jr., a spokesman for the Drug Enforcement Administration, says 18 DEA agents, Louisiana State Police troopers and Jefferson Parish Sheriff's deputies have been quarantined at East Jefferson General Hospital until the substance is identified.

State police Lt. Doug Cain says several officers were overcome with nausea and dizziness as they searched a suspicious 18-wheeler that had been taken to police headquarters. Officers found several bricks of white powder among the truck's cargo of limes.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I sincerely hope it winds up being something very, very minor.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Half-million in cocaine found in truck that sickened officers - NOLA.com

KATHY ANDERSON / THE TIMES-PICAYUNEHazmat crews hose down workers at State Police Troop B in Kenner after a caustic chemical leak from a truck on I-10 in St. John Parish on July 24, 2009. Investigators have found about $500,000 worth of cocaine hidden amongst the limes being transported inside of a tractor-trailer that sent 17 law enforcement officers and a police dog to the hospital this morning.
    "At this time, we have 23 kilos of cocaine on the ground and we still have six pallets of limes to unload," said Trooper Louis Calato, spokesman for the State Police. "I think it's fair to say the number could go up."
    The cocaine was found in the dozens of boxes unloaded by officers this morning from an 18-wheeler that had initially been pulled over for a traffic stop.
    The truck's two occupants have been arrested and booked with possession of cocaine with the intent to distribute, Calato said. WWL TV has identified the men as Francisco Aparaicio and David Aparaicio.

Authorities aren't sure where the truck was headed, but Special Agent Roberto Bryan Jr., spokesman for the DEA said the vehicle had a Texas license plate and the occupants had Texas driver's licenses.
    "That's about all we know right now," he said.
    Hazardous Materials crews had to be called in this morning after the officers who first began unloading the truck mysteriously fell ill. Testing later revealed they were sickened by pesticides inside the trailer. Authorities still aren't sure whether the pesticides were already on the limes or were sprayed to throw off drug dogs.
    All of the officers had been discharged as of 3:30 p.m.
    The incident began about 5 a.m. when a State Police trooper stopped the eastbound truck on Interstate 10 in St. John the Baptist Parish, according to Kevin Harrison, DEA's assistant special agent in charge.
    While questioning the driver and passenger, the trooper felt something was amiss and asked to search the trailer, according to Trooper Louis Calato, spokesman for the State Police. He called in DEA for assistance after finding "a brick of a white powdery substance suspected to be cocaine," said Calato.
    Officers then transported the trailer to Troop B State Police headquarters, located at 2101 Interstate 10 Service Road in Kenner. A narcotics task force comprised of officers from the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office, DEA and State Police then began unloading the trailer, which was also carrying green boxes of produce.
    They removed several dozens boxes and had begun to perform a field test on one of the "kilos" when the officers began to feel nauseous, Harrison said. As a precaution the officers were transported to East Jefferson General Hospital in Metairie.
    Captain Emile Larson with the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office Narcotics Division said the officers were treated in a decontamination unit set up in the hospital parking garage.
    Because officials were unsure whether the substance was dangerous, the hospital shut down the emergency room this morning and began directing patients to other hospitals.
    The hospital reopened about 12:30 p.m.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I am curious to know if the pesticide was placed there strictly to expose law enforcement. If so I sincerely this is pursued to the fullest.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I am curious to know if the pesticide was placed there strictly to expose law enforcement. If so I sincerely this is pursued to the fullest.

Oddly enough the worst we could do to them is to release them on a signature bond. These two mules just lost $500,000 in yayo. They would be sharing a 55 gallon drum in the desert before the day is out.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Can't imagine why else limes would be transported in such a fashion.

Citrus fruit is naturally resistant to insects.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Tainted drug loads made in a manner to poison cops and narco sniffers are a fairly recent and increasing trend. The cartels figure they can take out cops and dogs as a payback for finding their loads.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Can't imagine why else limes would be transported in such a fashion.

Citrus fruit is naturally resistant to insects.
    Maclean...the walking, talking encyclopedia of knowledge. Tried Jeopardy? I'm sure with all that information in your head..you'd most likely win. lol (shakes head in wonderment)
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Like others have said, I would also be worried that they purposely spiked the load to take out officers/dogs/or others that may be a threat.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Thread Information