Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

At Camp Twitch and Shout, Tourette Kids can be Themselves

For Brad Cohen, the barking and squealing noises he could not control began in the fifth grade.
    Fifty kids came to Camp Twitch and Shout's first session. Director Brad Cohen says he hopes to double that figure.

"I remember eating lunch at school all by myself and the mean kids would parade around me and mock my noises. My teacher made me get up in front of the class and apologize to everybody for the noises I was making," Cohen recalls.

More than 20 years later, Cohen is a camp director, celebrating the first year of Camp Twitch and Shout, a place for youngsters, who like Cohen, have Tourette syndrome.

"Tourette syndrome is a neurological disorder which causes people to make noises and tics that they can't control," Cohen says.

Fifty campers, between the ages of 7 and 18, came from all over the country to spend a week in Winder, Georgia, about 45 miles east of Atlanta. They have plenty to do, from swimming and fishing to music and arts and crafts. Most have been teased or harassed in school, and the camp is a place just to have fun.

"It's very nice to be able to let it all out and just not have to worry and not have people stare at you and think that you're weird and think -- what's wrong with that person?" says 16-year-old camper and black belt Tinsley Birchfield of Atlanta.

For other campers, such as Jacob McGee of Savannah, Georgia, just being outdoors is magical. "My favorite part was when we climbed the tree. That was pretty awesome. I went as high as I could go. It was really fun," says the 11-year-old.

According to experts, Twitch and Shout is one of only five weeklong camps in the country for children with Tourette syndrome. Atlanta-based child neurologist Howard Schub says such camps help children better cope with their condition. Some campers have never met another kid with Tourette syndrome.

"A child goes to camp, they see that they're not the worst. ... There are others that are functioning pretty well with worse tics than they," Schub says.

Cohen adds, "They see that wow, 'There are other kids that are like me.' They laugh, they tell the same jokes, they have the same interests. And what we hope is that their self-esteem goes up."

Twitch and Shout campers display motor tics common to most kids with Tourette syndrome such as eye blinking, facial grimacing, shoulder shrugging, head jerking, and -- in a few rare cases -- cursing. Camp activities are filled with the sounds of typical vocal tics: sniffing, throat clearing, hooting, barking, hissing and squealing.

But campers such as teenager Kevin Kardon of Athens, Georgia, say they've just gotten used to it.

"It's just kind of like you're listening to music, and you hear something in the background and you don't really hear it," Kevin says.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, three out of every 1,000 school-age children are believed to have Tourette syndrome. The cause is unknown, but genetics appear to play a role. Most children develop the condition between 7 and 10, and if their tics are mild to moderate, they usually require no medicine to control them. Symptoms usually peak during the late teens or early 20s.

"Many children, as they get older, the tics become either much less prominent or certainly reduced to a single or just a few tics that are not as disabling," Schub says.

That was certainly the case with Cohen. Barking is still his dominant tic, but when he was the age of his campers, he wrestled to control several others, including eye blinking, teeth chomping and arm twitching. In middle school, when his tics were at the height of their intensity, the principal approached him and asked if he'd like to educate the student body about his condition. Cohen says this move changed his life.

"They gave me a standing ovation, and it was on that day that I realized the power of education. I wanted to be that teacher that I never had. And that was my dream. I wanted to be the teacher that focused on kids' strengths, not weaknesses," he says.
    Health Library

And that's what he's been trying to do in the classroom for more than 13 years. At 35, Cohen is an elementary school teacher, the author of a book on Tourette syndrome and now a camp director. He says he hopes his campers find strength in knowing they are not alone and will carry this new confidence home with them to face the challenges of the upcoming school year.

"When they have tough times and they think they can't find success, it's our goal that they will think back to their experience at Camp Twitch and Shout and say, 'You know what? I can do it; I can be successful because I did it at camp,' " Cohen says.

Next summer, Cohen says he plans to recruit twice as many campers and hopes the experience will be as worthwhile for them as it was this year for 15-year-old Chris Wall of Athens.

"This camp was awesome because it had people just like me," says Chris, beaming.

At Camp Twitch and Shout, Tourette kids can be themselves - CNN.com

By Leslie Wade
    CNN Medical Producer

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So if barking is Director Cohen's primary "tic", does he use that as an excuse when he barks at the good looking women?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Captain America is online now Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    So if barking is Director Cohen's primary "tic", does he use that as an excuse when he barks at the good looking women?
    That would be tic tacky...
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Looking for ideas?

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Looking for ideas?
    sure, I already howl at the moon so need to stick those lines

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    You've been hanging around with Iron Head too much!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    LOL, Camp Twitch and Shout

Finally a group of people with issues who can joke a little bit about their condition, instead of dreaming up new Politically Correct names to call themselves every couple of years.

I wonder if we'll ever see "Camp Dumb & Stupid" for high-school dropouts, or "Camp Crazy" for people with emotional issues?

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Its the other way around, I'm the senior officer.... he just wants to be like me

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Its the other way around, I'm the senior officer.... he just wants to be like me

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I wonder.... If a person has never been exposed to cursing and has the cursing form of tourettes, what would he/she shout?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You need to photo shop that and make him a little shorter and a little rounder

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    I wonder.... If a person has never been exposed to cursing and has the cursing form of tourettes, what would he/she shout?
    Apparently they bark

GASheepdog is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I'm glad to see such a camp for kids with the condition. I had an instructor in the academy who had tourettes; he made "honking" noises from time to time. He was good-humored about as an adult, but I'm sure that it's a bad ordeal for kids.
    Be kind, be courteous . . .

and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There was a guy with this in one of my college classes. His tick was yelling "Yeah Baby" at random intervals. The teacher didn't know about until the end of the first week of classes. I had nearly fallen in the floor by the end of that week. After this episode, I had a liberal poly sci professor that would always pass around a sheet telling students to list any conditions or disabilities. I always listed narcolepsy and tourettes. This way I could fall asleep and cuss out loud at will. Those of you that know about my polical beliefs know how handy this could be for a poly sci minor. Never less than a B+ in any of the classes taken with that professor.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    There was a guy with this in one of my college classes. His tick was yelling "Yeah Baby" at random intervals. The teacher didn't know about until the end of the first week of classes. I had nearly fallen in the floor by the end of that week. After this episode, I had a liberal poly sci professor that would always pass around a sheet telling students to list any conditions or disabilities. I always listed narcolepsy and tourettes. This way I could fall asleep and cuss out loud at will. Those of you that know about my polical beliefs know how handy this could be for a poly sci minor. Never less than a B+ in any of the classes taken with that professor.
    So how many times did you fall asleep or cuss?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It was vicious cycle. If it was an 0800 class there was more sleeping. If the class was filled with the amnesty international types and in the afternoon then the tourettes kicked in.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Terminator is offline BANNED

Thanks for the picture of that fine creature's penis. Fucking pervert.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    And TJ taught you everything he knows, too.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    It was vicious cycle. If it was an 0800 class there was more sleeping. If the class was filled with the amnesty international types and in the afternoon then the tourettes kicked in.
    I would have liked to sat in on that afternoon class. Sounds like fun.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information