Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Sgt. Crowley Dishes About Beer Summit with Obama and Gates

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I don't really care for it, but I understand he is probably doing what he has to do here.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I don't really care for it, but I understand he is probably doing what he has to do here.
    Agreed. I guarantee you that it wasn't his idea to have this press conference (probably the City or PD's), and I bet he wasn't all that enthused to rehash this at the White House. I mean seriously...who was really at a disadvantage there? Gates and Obama support each other, so let's invite this guy to the White House so they can have some sort of roundtable discussion in that kind of environment? Please.

The sarge has balls. I support him wholeheartedly.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    The Sarge does have balls....and he also has a lot of class. Few people can refuse the President of the United States (no matter who he is) and the fact that he responded to the invitation WITH his family, obviously held his own during the discussion and then carried himself with pride and honor during the press conference means he emerged a CLEAR WINNER.

He clearly didn't back away from his original position but was publicly gracious enough to admit that Gates has a point. I say he did this, not because his department or Mayor wanted him to, but because he knew he was right and would represent both his shop and Law Enforcement very well. I think that press conference probably changed many previously held perceptions about him and all of us.

Any clear thinking individual, seeing both of these men, are going to be impressed with the Sarge and what he represents.....the best of Law Enforcement.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    He has more class than I do - I was hoping he'd call the President on the carpet for being a dumbass in this situation and Gates for being an asshole with a chip on his shoulder.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    The Sarge does have balls....and he also has a lot of class. Few people can refuse the President of the United States (no matter who he is) and the fact that he responded to the invitation WITH his family, obviously held his own during the discussion and then carried himself with pride and honor during the press conference means he emerged a CLEAR WINNER.

He clearly didn't back away from his original position but was publicly gracious enough to admit that Gates has a point. I say he did this, not because his department or Mayor wanted him to, but because he knew he was right and would represent both his shop and Law Enforcement very well. I think that press conference probably changed many previously held perceptions about him and all of us.

Any clear thinking individual, seeing both of these men, are going to be impressed with the Sarge and what he represents.....the best of Law Enforcement.

Car 4
    Agreed, + rep.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO

Car 4
    I agree.

He handled this whole thing with a lot of class. I don't think anyone would have blamed Sgt. Crowley for coming out and saying that Dr. Gates is an asshole and President Obama stuck his nose into something he didn't know crap about.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have to say I also respect Professor Gates having his press conference where he also humbly respected Sgt. Crowleys position as an upstanding professional dedicated law enforcement officer. Oh wait, Professor Gates didn't do that? Doubtful he will either.
    This is a load of horseshit. Neither Obama nor Gates have to two step through any tulips as a result of this. Sgt. Crowley has been forced into the limelight with no desire to do so and now has to bend and stretch in order to appease public opinion and preserve his reputation. Had he done anything different here the media would have crucified him immediately.
    Gates labels Crowley a racist and Obama believes the police acted stupidly. Gates retracts nothing and Obama toe taps by saying he could have chose his words differently. Their side is now done. Crowley is now left to jump through hoops in order to preserve his reputation. Where is the glaring spotlight on Gates? Hmmm....there is none. Obama should never had any business sticking his nose in this in the first place, much less having the "boys" over for a beer. This is not your DAMN business Barack! Of course the damage is done now. Sorry folks but this has been one incident that has clearly gotten under my skin and will remain there for quite some time.
    On the positive side I too offer my applause to Sgt. Crowley. At least on the surface the man has an incredible demeanor and poise. He has handled this incident much better than the general public expected him to. I wish him well in his endeavor with Gates in the meetings he will have to attend with him. I just wonder how long it will take him having to do this until he can tell someone no and there not be a lynch mob waiting with a rope.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Sgt Crowley did an outstanding job. He defended the other participants in this meeting/incident from the press. His "no" responses to the press were clearly "no". He certainly did leave the impression that the greatest problem was the press, and the press behavio.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, I do find it rather interesting that Dr. Gates apparently couldn't spare 5 minutes to discuss the "beer summit" with the press... After he apparently was quite happy to discuss the arrest previously. Things that make you go h'mmm....
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

I think that press conference probably changed many previously held perceptions about him and all of us.
    While I thought he did a great job with the press conference, I strongly disagree with the above portion of your post. I'm interested to know how you think in this incident perceptions of the Sergeant and all of law enforcement probably changed due to his press conference.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    While I thought he did a great job with the press conference, I strongly disagree with the above portion of your post. I'm interested to know how you think in this incident perceptions of the Sergeant and all of law enforcement probably changed due to his press conference.
    I think that he's been painted in the media as tightly-strung, inarticulate, and as Gates put it, a "rogue cop." I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would think that about him after seeing the press conference.

IMO anyway...
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    I think that he's been painted in the media as tightly-strung, inarticulate, and as Gates put it, a "rogue cop." I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would think that about him after seeing the press conference.

IMO anyway...
    Don't get me wrong, he showed class and did us proud in that press conference, as Gates, Obama, and some of the media painted an ugly picture.

But those dumb enough to believe that nonsense they spewed already dislike cops, for the most part, and want to believe it, regardless of the facts or a press conference. And those who are smarter than that, didn't buy in to it in the first place....IMO.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    So which one is showing more concern for Gates' handicap, Dumbama or the cop?

In Search of Camera Crews...

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Dumbama, Reps.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

ANI4ANI is offline Served my city 1972-1997
    Verified LEO
    As soon as I heard a reporter ask, "did anyone apologize?" and the sergeant said, "NO" I stopped the video. HELLO...what was the point of this meeting guys? Oh yeah, a video/photo op for the man himself, OBAMA. Personally, I'd taken a suspension or dock my pay, because no way would I have met with any of those individuals. Sarge, you've got balls and I congratulate you for having a pair.
    As today's police officers you are not unlike your counterparts of years past. You are an elite group of select members, a brotherhood of highly trained professionals, who are called upon to protect your community in a time of need. Guardians for safety. Being a police officer is not for the faint of heart. You must be honest, trustworthy and fearless in the face of evil. You are being watched everyday. Represent yourself, your department and the shield, for it should always be the embodiment of all that is good and justly. You are the thin blue line. Be proud, be tough and be safe.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    I just got an email with that pic attached to it TxCharlie... and that was the first thought that came to my mind...

Crowley sure showed he has compassion - wonder why the proud jackass who rides around in Air Force One ACTED SO STUPIDLY and didn't think to help his "long time friend" out... and help came from a total stranger...

guess that's the thought process in the White House now tho... Government has their own agenda... it's up to us, the PEOPLE to bear the weight of each other's burdens...

just my .02
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

chp7016 is offline Ret. Ca Highway Patrol Sgt
    Verified LEO
    I don't understand. I was falsely accused a few times. I never got an invitation to the White House, the Governor's Mansion, the mayor's house, or even the dog pound. The best I got was an invite to the lieutenant's office and given a pen to sign a paper. Maybe this will change things?
    Badge of Life Suicide Prevention
    http://www.badgeoflife.com/

Thread Information