Welcome to the APBWeb.
    copboy is offline Officer First Class

84 Year Old Woman With a Knife Subdued at Local Walmart

WHITEHALL, Ohio—An elderly woman with a weapon was taken to the ground by a Whitehall officer, and witnesses questioned the force used.

NBC 4’s Mike Bowersock got right to the point with a balanced report.

Virginia Dotson was wandering the Walmart parking lot at 3657 E. Main St. Saturday evening with a steak knife. She was telling strangers she would cut them and already had cut herself.

Whitehall officers were called to the scene, but some witnesses said officers used too much force in subduing the woman.

Dotson’s daughter said Dotson found a steak knife in the vehicle, cut herself out of her seat belt and took the knife with her while searching for her daughter.

“There was some kids out there talking to this old lady, and they said something about the old lady hitting them or something,” Stan Brown said.

Brown shot the incident on his cell phone.

Another witness called 911.

Whitehall officer Tammy Scott was the first out of the cruiser.

“She didn’t even ask her to drop the knife. The woman told her when the cop came charging at her. She said, ‘I’m not going to cut you. I’m not going to cut you. She was just calling her daughter’s name out,’ ” witness Tomya Beatty said.

The video told a different story, though: “Ma’am: Can you put the knife down? Put the knife down for me,” Scott said.

A crowd started to gather, and the two officers called for backup.

“There was about to be a riot in front of Walmart yesterday,” Beatty said.

“I believe it could have been taken care of a lot easier than that. I kind of think that was too much force with her being that old,“ Brown said.

“It’s not pretty, but when we’re looking at what could ultimately happen in that situation, the age can’t really be a big factor. It’s a public relations nightmare in some ways, but the officer did what she had to do,” Dr. Richard Weinblatt said.

Weinblatt is the director of the Institute for Public Safety at the Central Ohio Technical College in Licking County and often is quoted on police-force affairs.

He said with what the officers knew at that second, they had to do something.

Dotson, who is believed to be 84 years old, was treated and released from Mount Carmel Medical Center for the head injuries she received when she was taken to the ground.

Dotson’s daughter said her mother needed stitches to close the wounds and her hand may have been broken.

Dotson’s daughter said she left her mother in the vehicle while she ran into Walmart for a purchase necessary in the move she was making with her mother. She said she was not concerned because she wouldn’t be gone long and her mother doesn’t know how to open seat belts.

Dotson has not been charged with any crime.

To me the officer did what she had to do. I don't care who it is they come at me with a knife and wont drop it they are going to the ground either by physical force or by a bullet.

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Ah yes Whitehall is alive and well. Spent many a year roaming the streets there.
    I read some of the comments and most were very supportive. I don't know the officer as she came on after I left but it's a good department with good people.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A knife is a knife and dead is dead. It doesn't matter by who.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Aegis is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I notice that the "witness" statement in the article was contradicted (read: a complete and total lie).

I can't tell you how many times a dash camera has saved our officers from a "witness" with a fabricated version of the events.

Thank goodness for the officers that the cell phone video was available. Can you imagine how the article would read without the video to back the officers' description of the event?

matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO
    People are so ignorant... She's lucky she's not dead. I don't see anyone criticizing the family for leaving her unsupervised in the car with a knife if she's that out of it.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    People are going to complain no matter what the police do, so all that matters is that they went home safe and sound to their families and protected the public at the same time.

Good job by the officer.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by matt86 View Post
    People are so ignorant... She's lucky she's not dead. I don't see anyone criticizing the family for leaving her unsupervised in the car with a knife if she's that out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    A knife is a knife and dead is dead. It doesn't matter by who.
    The people there need to STFU!!! The elderly woman had a knife for crying out loud. She should have dropped it when she was told to. Even with her saying that she wasn't going to cut anyone, it makes no difference. The people there need to realize that the police are going to do whatever it takes to ensure that they go home at the end of the shift. Up to and including stepping up the level of force. This day in age, I am surprised the race card didn't come out. Or is that for men only?

Great job Ofc. Scott. You did what you had to do.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

O give it time and the race card will be played. The NAACP is all ready looking to sue Columbus Police over the large number of police involved shootings this year. They will just add Whitehall to their bitch list.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    if you don't want us to take care of the situation... don't effing call us...

plain and simple... if you call us... we WILL contain the situation and use whatever force is necessary for us to go home at the end of the shift... if you don't like it, handle the incident by your damn self next time...

plain and simple...

(not that I'm condoning taking the law into your own hands - for those out there who would love to spin that statement)
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Well it only took a bout a week but it has gotten national attention. This story is from the local news but I also found it on the fox news web sight. It is funny that they point out how there is very little outrage from around central Ohio and most of it is coming from places like New York and Comifornia ( no surprise there).

Nation Outraged Over Whitehall Police Incident | NBC4i.com

WHITEHALL, Ohio —An elderly woman with a weapon was taken to the ground by a Whitehall officer—and the incident was caught on tape.

Now, video of the incident has created new problems for the local police department as citizens from around the country question the force used.

The cell phone video ended up on YouTube—and the local police department said it has changed the way they work, NBC 4‘s Mike Bowersock reported.

Virginia Dotson was wandering the Walmart parking lot at 3657 E. Main St. the evening of Aug. 1 with a steak knife. She was telling strangers she would cut them and already had cut herself.

Whitehall officers were called to the scene, but some witnesses said officers used too much force in subduing the woman.

Dotson’s daughter said Dotson found a steak knife in the vehicle, cut herself out of her seat belt and took the knife with her while searching for her daughter.

Dotson, who is believed to be 84 years old, was treated and released from Mount Carmel Medical Center for the head injuries she received when she was taken to the ground.

All seemed said and done with the incident until the video hit YouTube.

Now, Whitehall police are receiving phone calls from around the nation—even though there was little outrage in Central Ohio when the incident occurred.

“We’ve had people from Hollywood calling. We’ve had people from St. Louis, Houston, New York,“ said Whitehall Police Chief Richard Zitzke.

Zitzke estimates the department has received between 100 and 150 calls, some which tied up the phone line for an hour.

“We’ve had one or two people that just called and yelled and hung up the phone. We’ve had actually some death threats towards the officer,“ he said.

Zitzke said the phone calls have started to tax the department’s resources, but officers have stayed on the phone with some callers to explain the situation.

“Other than all the problems from YouTube, we’re pretty happy that it was actually videotaped because that substantiates in our mind what the officer did and gave us a pretty clear indication right away that everything was just about as good as it could have gone,“ Zitzke said.

Dotson was not charged with any crime.

Wednesday morning, The Fraternal Order of Police, Capital City Lodge 9, announced it supports the actions taken by Officer Scott, adding that she acted in accordance with her training and within policy.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    AARP will be conducting a protest march in front of the Police Department before you know it. I'm with matt86. I don't hear anybody outrage toward the family for leaving an 84 year old women with obvious special needs basically trapped in a vehicle unsupervised in the summer time with access to a knife. If the family would have used better judgement , Ofc. Scott wouldn't have had to take the action that she did.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    But the little old lady couldn't get out of the seat belt... Yeah, right.

There's no real good way to take down someone like that and you can't leave them in control of the knife. I somehow doubt that officer went on the call going "Oh, joyous day! I get to throw a little old lady to the ground!"
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    I kind of figured it would make it national.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    good job. i would have done the same thing. theres also a good chance i would have sprayed the crowd when they angrily surrounded me and started making threats like "why dont you try to slam me like that bitch!" etc. im not gonna be the guy that got stabbed to death by a 84 year old woman because i was scared i might hurt her. the officer didnt put her in that position, she and her family did it to themselves. the officer just did what needed to be done at that point.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Pray the chief has a spine and doesn't throw anyone under the bus.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Pray the chief has a spine and doesn't throw anyone under the bus.

So far it looks like he's sticking up for his troops.

Now, Whitehall police are receiving phone calls from around the nation—even though there was little outrage in Central Ohio when the incident occurred.
    “We’ve had people from Hollywood calling. We’ve had people from St. Louis, Houston, New York,“ said Whitehall Police Chief Richard Zitzke.
    Zitzke estimates the department has received between 100 and 150 calls, some which tied up the phone line for an hour.
    “We’ve had one or two people that just called and yelled and hung up the phone. We’ve had actually some death threats towards the officer,“ he said.
    Zitzke said the phone calls have started to tax the department’s resources, but officers have stayed on the phone with some callers to explain the situation.
    “Other than all the problems from YouTube, we’re pretty happy that it was actually videotaped because that substantiates in our mind what the officer did and gave us a pretty clear indication right away that everything was just about as good as it could have gone,“ Zitzke said.
    Dotson was not charged with any crime.
    Wednesday morning, The Fraternal Order of Police, Capital City Lodge 9, announced it supports the actions taken by Officer Scott, adding that she acted in accordance with her training and within policy.

Thread Information