Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Signal_W Guest

Thumbs up South Florida Police Retaliate Against Press

Miami Herald, The (KRT)

Mar. 30--The personal information of an investigative reporter was posted prominently on a South Florida police union's website after a local television station aired a report about how police in Broward and Miami-Dade counties deal with the public.

The address, date of birth and driver's license number of WFOR CBS-4 reporter Mike Kirsch was posted as a BOLO -- or "be on the lookout" -- on the website of the Broward County Police Benevolent Association.

BOLOs typically are issued by police departments when officers are looking for criminals or missing persons.

The BOLO reads: "Channel 4 News is doing a series on the complaint process at police departments in Dade and Broward. They are setting up officers and instigating confrontations, then filing complaints with the various agencies."

Kirsch first learned about the BOLO from a colleague who saw the flier in a stack of BOLOs at a local police station. New Times reporter Jeff Stratton wrote about the BOLO last week.

Kirsch's personal information was removed from the website after a letter from the television station's lawyer. Kirsch's photo is now on the site.

Alan Rosenthal, an attorney for CBS-4, a Miami Herald news partner, demanded that the union remove the BOLO, calling it false and a violation of Florida and federal law that prohibits the disclosure of "personal identifying information contained in motor vehicle records."

'GOING TO WAR'

The reporter said the posting had concerned him and his family.

"I told my wife about it," Kirsch said. 'She's from Bosnia. She said, 'It sounds like the cops are going to war with you, and you need to be careful.' "

Kirsch said the BOLO "reminded me this is an intimidation effect," he said. "It might have a chilling effect on any news media establishment from doing their jobs and questioning the system and government. It's just disappointing."

Lucy Dalglish, executive director of The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press in Arlington, Va., said the BOLO "absolutely is an attempt to intimidate. And it's abusive and downright stupid."

In its hidden-camera investigation, conducted with a national watchdog group called The Police Complaint Center, one person visited 38 agencies in Broward and Miami-Dade to ask about getting a form to file a complaint against an officer.

Only three of the police departments had such forms: Florida City, Homestead and Miami, according to CBS-4.

The forms are not required by law, though they are recommended by the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

Kirsch noted that at many departments, police were courteous and professional, but in others they weren't.

CHANGES AT BSO

After the piece, at least one agency pledged to reexamine the process for filing complaints. The Broward Sheriff's Office has made a "Public Compliment/Complaint Form" available in the lobby of BSO stations.

BSO allows a person to file an anonymous complaint and provides many ways a person's form can be returned, including sending it to BSO internal affairs.

In another part of the investigation to check on racial profiling claims, a white man and a black man were given the same red Mustang to drive in the same areas of Broward. According to WFOR's findings, the white man was never pulled over, and the black man was "almost immediately pulled over" by a Broward Sheriff's Office deputy on Oakland Park Boulevard.

WEBSITE WARNING

Shortly after the investigation first aired in February, Broward PBA President Dick Brickman posted the BOLO on the union's website.

The BOLO also includes information about Gregory Slate of Baltimore, who works for The Police Complaint Center, including his cellphone number.

"I put the information out so our members if they come across any of these people, they should be aware these people they're talking to probably have you on camera," Brickman said. "They're trying to set you up to aggravate you so you'll make a mistake."

Brickman said the report should have looked into whether complaints about officers are investigated, not whether there is a form.

Of the racial profiling test, the BOLO states: "Here's how it works: A white male in a red Mustang convertible will speed down the road. Later, the same car, this time with a black male driving, will appear in the same area driving slowly. If the car is pulled over by the police, the occupant will become hostile and accuse the officer of profiling, trying to pick a fight. If the officer responds negatively, a complaint is filed with his/her department."

The BOLO warns that the CBS-4 team "is back out on the street" for a follow-up story planned in May.

But Rosenthal, the CBS-4 attorney, wrote that the union "is not distributing the BOLO to carry out any legitimate law enforcement function, but rather for the sole purpose of harassing and intimidating Mr. Kirsch, Mr. Slate and CBS 4 in an effort to prevent them from investigating and reporting on a matter of public concern."

Slate filed an internal affairs complaint with the Hollywood Police Department, alleging one of the officers used the National Crime Information Center to provide Brickman with his driver's license number.

Diop Kamau, executive director of The Police Complaint Center, who also is a retired Los Angeles police sergeant, said it's "inappropriate for police to be crossing back and forth over the line that is the private behavior of police unions and the public behavior of officers."

HOLLYWOOD PROBE

Hollywood police Lt. Richard Nardello, of the police Internal Affairs Unit, wrote, "An investigative search through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement unequivocally concluded no one associated with the Hollywood Police Department had queried your name or driver's license number."

Nardello found the complaint to be unfounded.

John Rivera, the Miami-Dade Police Benevolent Association president, declined to comment about the Broward union's BOLO.

Of the CBS-4 series, Rivera said: "It was such a joke that we ignored it."

Miami Herald staff writers Wanda J. DeMarzo and David Ovalle contributed to this report.

<<Miami Herald, The (KRT) -- 03/31/06>>

Click Here For The BOLO
    Last edited by Signal_W; 04-01-06 at 03:24 AM.

Curt581 is offline Whatever
    Verified LEO
    Typical.

Slow news day? Go out and create some. Go thumb your nose at some cops and see if you can provoke them into doing something stupid.

They complain that the reporter's personal info was posted. I agree that posting the D.L. number and DOB was going too far, but the media wouldn't hesitate to publish an officer's home address if they got ahold of it. Probably under the guise of conducting some demographic investigation.

Yet another of dozens of reasons why I absolutely refuse to talk to reporters unless specifically ordered to do so. Even then, I give "yes/no" answers.

Some cops, especially those who've spent time as detectives, will tell you that reporters can be sources of information, and that it's possible to have good working relationships with them. That may be... but you better treat them like a pet rattlesnake. Given the opportunity, they'll turn and bite you without a moment's thought, if they decide it's to their advantage.

Never, ever trust them.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    What gets me, is who are the reporters going to call when they really piss someone off to the point that revenge is likely? The cops. You don't turn on those who would one day save your ass.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I agree that the reporter's tactics are sleazy, but there's a lot of right ways and stupid ways the union could have got back at the reporter.

That was an example of a stupid way.

It woulda been different perhaps if the BOLO with all the info was distributed only to union members, or posted in a members-only section of the web site. The public version didn't need to have that info to get the point accross.

They could have also simply issued a press release warning anyone in general that tactics like the reporter was using may backfire and land him in jail.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 03-31-06 at 02:11 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Cheech Guest
    Stupid ass whiny reporter. What a bitch, He goes and starts crap but cant take it back.

On a related note I heard on my scanner that filming for a segment of the TV show "Cheaters" was being annoying in an adjacent town last night - Someone thought a crime was going down and called the cops apparently, because the film crew appeared to be casing the parking lot or stalking someone
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 03-31-06 at 02:47 PM.

(\__/)

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    In reality Diop is a former Hawthorne PD sergeant who was run out of police work for his own croked behavior. He did manage to get a medical retirement. He has a lengthy history of doing this kinds of ops against the police. Departments should just get wise, put complaint forms at the front desk of every station or on line & take away this guys thunder.

Indy Guest
    Way to go stan.

So is there a link to the article since you screwed it up...?

Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    Way to go stan.

So is there a link to the article since you screwed it up...?
    You could try to Google it but Im sure it would just be more fun to call me out for being such a moron.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Switek
    You could try to Google it but Im sure it would just be more fun to call me out for being such a moron.
    Of course.

Hopefully W will forgive my stupidity & fix it.

Indy Guest
    I'm sure everyone's done it at some point in time...

Need I remind everyone of this post?
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/...8657#post38657

Now will you admit that TxCharlie is always right?
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 03-31-06 at 07:09 PM.

(\__/)

Signal_W Guest
    Bro its no big deal, it has been fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Signal_W
    Bro its no big deal, it has been fixed
    Uh-oh... rewarding Stan with a after putting his "drunk with power" plan into play could set a dangerous precident

(\__/)

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    In reality Diop is a former Hawthorne PD sergeant who was run out of police work for his own crooked behavior. He did manage to get a medical retirement. He has a lengthy history of doing this kinds of ops against the police. Departments should just get wise, put complaint forms at the front desk of every station or on line & take away this guys thunder.
    I remember that asshole. He was talked about clear up here!

Fortunately, it's against the law in Oregon to record someone's voice face to face w/o their knowledge. They can film us secretly, but they better have the sound turned off unless they have an ex parte order from a judge.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    Fortunately, it's against the law in Oregon to record someone's voice face to face w/o their knowledge. They can film us secretly, but they better have the sound turned off unless they have an ex parte order from a judge.

This is off topic but, would that include police officers keeping an audio recording of their traffic stops?
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

In Texas as far as I know, a secret recording is fine as long as one party to the conversation knows about it - Keeps everyone honest. I'm not sure whether it's admissible in court however. I would assume it's admissible as long as there's no entrapment involved.

I would point out however, that I think there is such a thing as civil entrapment in some states, which may give the officers civil recourse if they were entrapped in the legal sense (i.e., provoked or enticed into doing something that they would never do in absence of the provocation).
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 04-02-06 at 07:16 PM.

(\__/)

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Welpe
    This is off topic but, would that include police officers keeping an audio recording of their traffic stops?

Yep. If I record someone I have to get an exparte order from a judge. I don't mind, it's not that big a deal. I don't think I would have ever won or lost a traffic stop case on the basis of a recording anyway.

We can record telephone conversations with only one party consent though, strange, huh?
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

BrickCop is offline "Shrinkage Proof"

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Signal_W
    Miami Herald, The (KRT)

Diop Kamau, executive director of The Police Complaint Center, who also is a retired Los Angeles police sergeant, said it's "inappropriate for police to be crossing back and forth over the line that is the private behavior of police unions and the public behavior of officers."
    So if Diop shit had has way the police would not be able to have a Union looking out for them. Gee, that stance sure sounds intolerant to me.
    Why no, that's not a pregnant anaconda in my pants...why do you ask?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information