Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Study says kids who wear clothes with alcohol logos start drinking sooner...

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Middle-schoolers who sport alcohol-branded T-shirts and caps may start to drink sooner than their peers, according to a new study.

The findings, researchers point out, are similar to those of studies from the 1990s that linked cigarette-branded merchandise to a greater risk of adolescent smoking.

It's uncertain whether clothes or bags with beer logos encourage some kids to start drinking. But the study results are concerning enough that parents and schools should consider keeping the merchandise out of kids' hands, said lead author Dr. Auden McClure of Dartmouth Medical School in Lebanon, New Hampshire.

Besides possibly swaying a child's own attitude toward drinking, alcohol-branded gear turns kids into "walking advertisements" aimed at their peers, McClure noted in an interview.

She and her colleagues report their findings in the April issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.

The study followed 2,400 middle school students, ages 10 to 14, who said during an initial survey that they had never used alcohol. The students were surveyed again one to two years later, at which time they were asked if they owned any alcohol-branded merchandise and if they had ever tried drinking.

Overall, 14 percent said they had some alcohol-related item, usually T-shirts, caps or jackets. These children were 50-percent more likely than their peers to have started drinking -- even with factors such as school performance and friends' drinking habits taken into account.

The study has its limits, McClure said, and it cannot establish beer-bearing T-shirts as the cause of some kids' drinking.

But, she added, the findings "are strong enough that we're saying, 'Let's be cautious.'"

For parents, she and her colleagues add, that means keeping alcohol-branded gear out of the home, while schools can do their part by restricting students from wearing or carrying such items.

Hmm, another reasong to not blame parents for their kid's actions. YES! Go America!!

Daynathepayna is offline bad to the bone
    Another reason why school uniforms are a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Daynathepayna
    Another reason why school uniforms are a good idea.
    Would that really solve the problem though?

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Thing is, they wouldn't wear the clothes if they weren't interested in the product. Could this be another "chicken or the egg" question?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TattoodDucky
    Thing is, they wouldn't wear the clothes if they weren't interested in the product. Could this be another "chicken or the egg" question?
    Yeah , pretty lame huh

Prometheus is offline Senior Member
    I think we can file this in the "No Shit, Sherlock" section.
    "Look, just give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with you!"

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    /me looks at his Guinness flip flops

Aw crap...
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Does this include every Dale Jr. piece of clothing I own with a big Budweise B on it?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TattoodDucky
    That's exactly what I was thinking. It apparently didn't occur to the researchers that perhaps they're wearing those clothes because they enjoy drinking.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Post#83Chief
    Hmm, another reasong to not blame parents for their kid's actions. YES! Go America!!
    Actually it's a great reason to blame parents. No way in hell would I have let my kids wear clothes like that. We have some "spirited discussions" about things like that, but I was the Daddy and I won.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Just out of curiosity would you let your kid wear my Nascar Dale Jr. Hat that had a budweiser B on it somewhere?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Post#83Chief
    Would that really solve the problem though?
    No. They'll still wear it on their off time.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    Just out of curiosity would you let your kid wear my Nascar Dale Jr. Hat that had a budweiser B on it somewhere?
    I don't live in the South, NASCAR is no big deal up here. It would depend on how prominent the "B" was on the hat, but off hand I'd probably say no.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    If a kid is going to drink, they will drink regardless of anything they will wear.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    If a kid is going to drink, they will drink regardless of anything they will wear.
    True, but you can at least make them realize you don't sanction it. Letting them wear that stuff is passive way of endorsing it. At some point you need to let kids know some stuff is okay.

Too damn many people think it's more important to be a friend to their kid than a parent. I made a lot of unpopular decisions where it would have been easier to just fold and let them do stuff, but I'm glad I didn't. Teen fashion is one thing and I tried to be flexible and compromise in a lot of those areas, but that didn't mean I was going to let my daughters were skin tight tube tops or my step sons dress like gangsters.

Those anti-drug commercials are right on, IMO when they talk about confronting your kid. A hell of a lot of parents are afraid to do that. We usually end up dealing with those kids. And it doesn't kill anyone to sit down with your kid and bring up the subjects like drugs, booze and sex with them so they know where you stand. The kid will respect you a lot more if you do. And like I said, silence can be tacit approval.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I wonder if the people doing this study have got it all ass backwards. The way it's written "Study says kids who wear clothes with alcohol logos start drinking sooner" implies the cause and effect is that because they wear the clothes, they start drinking. Maybe its just reverse of that. Maybe they started wearing the clothes because they drink. I really doubt that wearing articles of clothes with certain logos on it is going to effect someone that much. Either the kid is wearing it because he is drinking or he wants everyone to think he is. Either way, the want to drink or actually drinking is there first, and the clothes is secondary.

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th
    I wonder if the people doing this study have got it all ass backwards. The way it's written "Study says kids who wear clothes with alcohol logos start drinking sooner" implies the cause and effect is that because they wear the clothes, they start drinking. Maybe its just reverse of that. Maybe they started wearing the clothes because they drink. I really doubt that wearing articles of clothes with certain logos on it is going to effect someone that much. Either the kid is wearing it because he is drinking or he wants everyone to think he is. Either way, the want to drink or actually drinking is there first, and the clothes is secondary.

So in other words you agree with Ducky and Indy?
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Welpe
    I dunno, let me go read what they said...

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Welpe

And the "LEF Dumbass of the Week" award goes to...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information