Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

7 Killed by Fleeing Driver

August 9, 2009

Car fleeing police kills 7 in Calif.

The Associated Press
    A stolen car fleeing from police ran a stop sign and slammed into a pickup in California's Central Valley, killing four young children in the truck and all three people in the car, police said Sunday.
    The Dodge Neon was carjacked either late Friday or early Saturday in Selma, about 10 miles from Dinuba, where Saturday afternoon's crash took place, Dinuba police Sgt. Thaddeus Ashford said. No other details on the carjacking were available, he said.

The four children were thrown from the truck, authorities said. None of the children in the truck were wearing seat belts or any restraints, California Highway Patrol Officer Felipe Martinez said.

A fifth child from the truck, Carlos Eric Salazar, 8, was airlifted to Community Regional Hospital in Fresno with major injuries. Dinuba is about 33 miles southeast of Fresno.

The children's parents, Carlos Salazar, Jr., 29, and Jennifer Salazar, 26, were also injured. One was airlifted to Community Regional with major injuries, the other taken by ambulance to the same hospital with moderate injuries, Martinez said. He wasn't sure which parent suffered the major injuries.

The three men who fled from Dinuba police died at the scene and haven't been identified, Martinez said. None of them were carrying identification, he said.

The four children who died were: Jochelyn Grace Salazar, 7; Monique Janae Salazar, 4; Michael Alexander Salazar, 3; and Sienna Rose Salazar, 1, the patrol said.

Dinuba Police haven't identified the officer involved in the car chase, and Ashford said he couldn't comment on whether the officer knew during the pursuit that the Neon had been stolen.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The lawsuit has probably already been filed.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Death Count now up to 8

I have been debating on whether to post this, since it is somewhat near me. Most of what I have heard is that the people here in the Central Valley are placing the blame mostly on the idiot behind the wheel of the Dodge Neon that was running from the Police. However, if the children were properly restrained, they most likely would have lived and not have been ejected from the Chevrolet / GMC 1500 pick up.

It seems that some of the relatives of the family that was torn apart are blaming the Police, though. It never ends.

To all those who want to blame the Police (hopefully no one here on this site), give me a freaking break. This happened in the middle of nowhere on country roads involving a stolen car. They can't just go and find it later. If you want someone to blame, blame the idiot morons in the stolen Neon for running from the police. They caused the accident by running the stop sign, and being stupid in general.. Blame the parents for not having their kids restrained properly or for not using their mini-van which has child seats. The children would still be alive, most likely.

Grieving Valley Family Questioning Police Pursuit - News Story - KTVU San Francisco

The death count is now up to 8. Apparently the 8 year old that was airlifted to the hospital has succumbed to his injuries.

It wouldn't surprise me if the occupants of the Neon were illegal aliens.

8 Confirmed Dead, including 5 kids in Accident near Dinuba - 8/10/09 - Fresno News - abc30.com

Family Deals With Loss of 5 Children after Dinuba Accident - 8/10/09 - Fresno News - abc30.com

Video links.

Five brothers and sisters all died as the accident crushed their parents' pickup | Video | abc30.com

8 Confirmed Dead, including 5 kids in Accident near Dinuba | Video | abc30.com

Deadly accident near Dinuba | Video | abc30.com

Dinuba Family Deals With Loss of 5 Children | Video | abc30.com

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This was a "violent felony" that people say we should only pursue for. It was a carjacking. If the parents of the dead children shoujld be charged at the minimum of felony child endangerment (I would prefer manslaughter) for placing their kids in the back of the truck without restraints.. which is illegal in this state. If any of the suspects had lived then I would have liked to see them charged with murder (if they can do it for DUI I'm sure we can swing this also).
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sad. Hope those responding to that scene are ok.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    This was a "violent felony" that people say we should only pursue for. It was a carjacking.
    The newsies were saying the stop was for a minor traffic offense. Glad to hear the truth. Now, if only they'd correct themselves...
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    The newsies were saying the stop was for a minor traffic offense. Glad to hear the truth. Now, if only they'd correct themselves...

Fat chance that will happen......
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    "The Dodge Neon was carjacked either late Friday or early Saturday in Selma"
    Sounds like a violent felony to me.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I was wondering about the illegal alien angle CTR, thanks for the update. Personally, for the family of the children I will not judge or speak ill of them for blaming the police. I cannot even begin to put myself in the place where they are at right now. I will give them the benefit of the doubt until they are in a better state of mind. If I lost my family in a situation like this and I was able to function after the wreck, the driver of the fleeing car would not be charged with murder. He would be executed in the street.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I still go for hanging the parents for putting their children in jeapordy.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I was wondering about the illegal alien angle CTR, thanks for the update. Personally, for the family of the children I will not judge or speak ill of them for blaming the police. I cannot even begin to put myself in the place where they are at right now. I will give them the benefit of the doubt until they are in a better state of mind. If I lost my family in a situation like this and I was able to function after the wreck, the driver of the fleeing car would not be charged with murder. He would be executed in the street.
    Yeah, In real life as far as the family is concerned, it is just best to let it be. Until, like you said, they are in a better state of mind. We all know who is correct, or at least we should.

Not sure if the kids were in the bed of the truck or in the cab. As PGG said, it is illegal in the state of CA to transport people in the bed of a truck unless there are seats bolted to the floor and / or frame with seat belts attached and worn.

It turns out that one of the idiots in the Neon that was carjacked was a gang member. That's almost as bad if not worse than the illegal alien angle.

Dinuba police investigating deadly chase - Crime & Court News - fresnobee.com

Dinuba police investigating deadly chase - Crime & Court News - fresnobee.com

Dinuba police investigating deadly chase

Chief says it appears rules were followed in event that left 8 dead.

Published online on Monday, Aug. 10, 2009

By Chris Collins / The Fresno Bee

Dinuba's police chief said Monday the department has a policy against chasing cars after minor violations -- but that an investigation so far shows that an officer involved in a wreck that killed eight people on Saturday was following the rules.

Officer Marcos Nunes pursued a Dodge Neon after it ran a stop sign, police say. The car sped away, running another stop sign and colliding with a crew-cab pickup near Orosi.

Eight people died, including five children in the truck and three young men in the Neon.
    Some family and friends of the victims have said the officer should have ended the pursuit earlier to avoid causing a danger to innocent motorists.

One of the young men in the Neon, which later turned out to be stolen, was a gang member with a criminal past, court records show.

And none of the seven family members in the truck, which had seating only for six, appeared to be wearing seat belts.

The California Highway Patrol said it didn't know whether the children were in the truck's cab at the time of the crash.

Dinuba Police Chief James Olvera said that based on his review of dispatch tapes, the officer was not following the Neon closely and may have been about one-third of a mile away from the car when it struck the pickup.

Dinuba Police Department's policy says officers should not pursue a vehicle if the driver has only committed minor violations because it is important to weigh the seriousness of the crime against the potential dangers of a chase.

Olvera said he does not consider running a stop sign a minor violation.

He said the officer was in contact by radio with a sergeant during the chase and was never ordered to end the pursuit.

The chief said that at this point in the investigation, it does not appear Nunes violated the department's policy.

The incident began just before 2 p.m. in northeast Dinuba when the Neon, which was heading east on Avenue 424 -- also known as Nebraska Avenue -- ran a stop sign at Crawford Avenue, Olvera said. Nunes pursued the car for about 3 1/2 miles at speeds of more than 80 mph before it ran through a stop sign at Road 120 and crashed into a southbound GMC Sierra pickup.

Five children in the pickup, ages 1 to 8, were thrown from the vehicle and died. Their parents -- Carlos Salazar Jr., 29, and Jennifer Salazar, 26 -- were hospitalized and were in fair condition on Monday. It's unclear whether the parents will be charged for driving with children not in seat restraints.

The Orange Cove family was on its way to Orosi, where one of the children, 8-year-old Carlos Salazar, was to play in a youth football game, friends and relatives said.

All three young men in the Neon also were killed. The Tulare County Coroner's Office on Monday identified them as Richard Carrasco, 16, of Dinuba; Oscar Esparza, 17, of San Diego; and Arthur Rivas, 19, of Dinuba. Authorities said Esparza was the driver.

Tulare County court records show Rivas was sentenced on Dec. 10 to a year in jail after pleading no contest to gun possession with the special allegation of benefiting a gang.

It's unclear when he was released, though he was given credit for 96 days already served at the time of his sentencing. Inmates often are released early for good behavior and other reasons.

Olvera said Monday that his department is investigating the chase. He said the department may release the dispatch tapes to the public soon. He also said the police car involved in the chase does not have a dashboard camera.

Richard Weinblatt, director of the Institute for Public Safety at the Central Ohio Technical College and an expert in police chases, said cities have a lot of discretion in setting their own policies for police chases. He said some policies allow chases only if the suspects have committed a violent crime.

Most chases, however, are initiated after a minor violation, said Weinblatt, a former police chief in North Carolina who said he has been involved in several pursuits himself.

"It's usually something stupid and the suspect panics and runs," he said. "And [police officers] get sucked into it -- and that's not necessarily good."

Weinblatt said it's too early to pass judgment on how officer Nunes handled the chase on Saturday, but he said Nunes may have been pushing the boundaries of the department's policy if he started the chase only because the Neon ran a stop sign.

In Visalia, Sgt. Ernie Villa said officers often are called off from chases by their supervisor over the radio.

"We've terminated more pursuits than we've engaged in," he said.

Last week, a stolen car was chased after midnight because traffic was light, Villa said. The chase lasted several minutes and ended when the car crashed into a fence. Two of the four people in the car were caught and two got away. No one was hurt.

"If that had occurred during day," Villa said, "we'd have been more than likely let them go and get them some other time."

There have been a handful of other incidents involving fatal high-speed chases in the Central Valley in recent years.

In July 2004, Mark Richard Baker, 34, a Kern County deputy district attorney, died after he reportedly lost control of his motorcycle while fleeing police during a chase in Bakersfield.

Earlier that year, Christopher Williams, 21, was on Highway 99 and not wearing a seat belt when a CHP motorcycle officer attempted to stop him.

Williams, who was heading northbound, sped away reaching speeds of up to 100 mph and later hit a car in Fresno carrying three people. Adam McKinnis, a passenger in the car that was hit, died five days after the accident of massive head injuries.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information