Welcome to the APBWeb.
    MisterK is offline Monkey Man

Flag Waving Banned at Colorado School

LONGMONT, Colo.

Dozens of high school students protested a temporary school policy forbidding students from displaying the U.S. flag _ as well as flags from other countries _ amid racial tensions following immigration rallies.

Skyline High School Principal Tom Stumpf said American flags were brazenly waved in the faces of Hispanic students and in one case a Mexican flag was thrown into the face of another student.

"When it involves the American flag and its abuse in vilifying other people, we simply will not tolerate it," Stumpf said. "They were using the symbol derisively as misguided patriotism."

Students were warned about the policy Friday and several were suspended, although Stumpf would not provide details. Then, about 100 students protested during lunch time.

Student Dustin Carlson told Denver station KCNC-TV that he was suspended for two days.

"I'm getting suspended for it and personally I think that's uncalled for," he said. "If this country means freedom, then why can't we fly our own flag? It's ridiculous."

Thousands of high school students Friday in California, Texas, Nevada and other states protested the tough immigration laws proposed in the House. Some waved Mexican flags and carried signs saying "We are not criminals."

On Monday, about 150 high school students, including some from Skyline, protested in Longmont.

"People are taking it to a whole other level," said Laura Avitia. "I don't think they know why we were protesting."

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/01/D8GN4QB00.html
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It's our our damn flag, why can't they wave it? Every one else there should be a US citizen, so they shouldn't be offended. Unless it's foreign exchange students, that I could see as being overboard, waving our flag in their face. This country is screwed up.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    I sent this asshat principal a love note at stumpf_thomas@stvrain.k12.co.u s and I invite you all to as well.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

mxwelch is offline Kalashnikitty
    "When it involves the American flag and its abuse in vilifying other people, we simply will not tolerate it," Stumpf said. "They were using the symbol derisively as misguided patriotism."
    Translation: "I hate America." Commie bastard.

Thread Information