Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Sex offender challenges "500 foot child safety zone" ordinance stating children could be anywhere

A convicted sex offender is challenging Lee County's "child safety zones"-- the ordinance that keeps sex offenders 500 feet away from anywhere with children in Lee County.

The offender's attorney tells WINK news that the ordinance is unconstitutional.
    Parents say sex offenders give up their rights the minute they are convicted.

Lee County, FLA - Attorney Peter Aiken represents Joesph Comfort, the first man arrested for violating the "child safety zone" in Lee County.

"It's basically a feel good law. It's made to make the public feel good because everybody hates sex offenders," said Aiken.

Comfort was at a Lehigh Acres pool in July and was arrested.

"We've passed an ordinance that makes it just mere presence a crime," said Aiken.

Aiken filed a motion Tuesday, on behalf of Comfort, challenging the law.
    He says it's a violation of rights and the "safety zones" are too vague to enforce.

The ordinance makes it illegal for sex offender's to be within 300 feet of places like parks, pools, or beaches.

Parents tell WINK news they strongly support the zones.

"They can go right to jail--that's a place for them," said Cape Coral mother Jessica Hafer.

"I think you lose those rights when you become a predator," said mother Laura Bruckman.

"If you talk to any sex offender they say there is no cure for them--they always have those desires. They need to be kept away from children," said Richard Jones.

Aiken says he doesn't think the safety zones are the answer because, according to his research, 80% of offenders don't come from out in the community--but inside the home.

"I've got grand kids--I want my grand kids protected. There are laws to do that--these laws don't do anything," said Aiken.

We received a comment from Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott regarding the challenge.
    Sheriff Scott says "As long as there are laws there will be challenges to them. We stand fast by our efforts to protect the most vulnerable among us."

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    stating children could be anywhere
    So can pissed off parents. And there is no law saying I can't be within 500 feet of them.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    So can pissed off parents. And there is no law saying I can't be within 500 feet of them with a .45.
    Fixed it for you
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    So can pissed off parents. And there is no law saying I can't be within 500 feet of them with a .45, a pair of pliars, and a blow torch.
    Fixed it better.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Fixed it better.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

As long as there are Romeo & Juliet situations which cause normal teens to register as sex offenders under zero tolerance laws, I will be against laws like this!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    As long as there are Romeo & Juliet situations which cause normal teens to register as sex offenders under zero tolerance laws, I will be against laws like this!
    To be fair I don't even consider situations like this when I talk of sex offenders. There is a difference in a H.S. relationship and predators.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't agree with a predator conviction in regards to a "Romeo and Juliet" circumstance either. However, I pity the 17 year old who puts it to or tries to put to my daughter. I'm going to be a lot closer than 300 feet and I will have bond money in my wallet.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    To be fair I don't even consider situations like this when I talk of sex offenders. There is a difference in a H.S. relationship and predators.
    +1
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Unfortunately, what you consider doesn't matter, it's what the law says...and the law says, they do consider it that way. And that's wrong.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm all for streamlining any sex offender law to common sense language. Of course I'm all for beating the testosterone out of whomever the law doesn't cover with a steel pipe. But that's just me.

Thread Information