Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Kidnapped Girl Re-Surfaces after 18 Years, Raised by Sex Offender, Who She Had Children With

Sex offender, wife arrested in 1991 kidnapping - CNN.com

Sex offender, wife arrested in 1991 kidnapping
    Updated 4 minutes ago

CNN) -- A sex offender admitted to authorities that he abducted an 11-year-old girl who has been missing from South Lake Tahoe, California, since 1991, California corrections officials said Thursday.

Jaycee Lee Dugard as she looked in 1991 and an age-
    progression image of what she might look like as an adult.

The 18-year mystery about what happened to Jaycee Lee Dugard, last seen being grabbed as she walked to her bus stop, ended with a routine parole check.

On Tuesday, Phillip Garrido, 58, was reported to parole authorities after he was seen with two small children at the University of California at Berkeley, said Scott Kernan, undersecretary for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

The next day, a parole agent ordered Garrido to appear for questioning and he did so, accompanied by two children and a woman, Kernan told reporters.

During questioning, he admitted to having abducted Dugard in South Lake Tahoe, and said the two children were his, Kernan said.

Phillip Garrido is a registered sex offender, listed as having
    been convicted of forcible rape.

He and and his wife, Nancy, were taken into custody and held at the Concord, California, jail. An officer at the jail said the two had been booked and were ordered held on $1 million bail, but were no longer there.

Phillip Garrido had been booked on charges of kidnapping, conspiracy and related offenses, the officer said. Nancy Garrido was booked on charges of kidnapping and conspiracy.

Phillip Garrido was paroled from a Nevada state prison June 8, 1988, and served time in federal custody and in Nevada for sexual assault, the corrections department said. The Department of Justice's Megan's Law page shows that the arrest involved a charge of forcible rape.

Dugard, now 29, is in "good health," the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department said.

Earlier Thursday, Carl Probyn, Dugard's stepfather, said an FBI agent had called his wife, Terry, on Wednesday afternoon to tell her that Dugard had been found.

He witnessed the abduction of the blond, blue-eyed girl, who was wearing a pink windbreaker and pink stretch pants as she walked to her bus stop on June 10, 1991.

Watch how the case haunted her home town

At the time, "it was reported that a vehicle occupied by two individuals drove up to Jaycee Dugard and abducted her in view of her stepfather," the El Dorado County Sheriff's office said Thursday.

The El Dorado County Sheriff's office scheduled a news conference for 3 p.m. (6 p.m. ET) to discuss the case.

Probyn said his wife, who was flying Thursday from Southern California to meet with Dugard, spoke to her daughter on Wednesday.

"Jaycee remembers everything," he said. "They talked back and forth and she had the right answers to all my wife's questions."

He said, "I'm feeling great! ... It's like winning the Lotto."
    Ernie Allen, president of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, said the reappearance of Dugard is "absolutely huge."

"One of the things that we preach to searching families all the time ... is that even in these long-term cases there's hope," he said.

"Even in these long-term cases ... it's important that we not let the world forget."

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Disgusting and scary. I feel like I'm too protective not wanting my 4 year old son to play in front of our house with friends. Even in your own view some ahole could take your whole world from you in a split second. Makes me rethink my criticism of parents who walk around with their kids looking like this:
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

K9brando is offline Fun In The Snow!
    Verified LEO
    Wow!
    I'm ready for spring!

Now they're saying that the two kids were the kidnapped girl's, which she had with the sex offender. Hopeully there will be a few more rape charges in store for him in addition to the kidnpping charge.

Sheriff: Kidnap victim, children kept in backyard shed - CNN.com

Sheriff: Kidnap victim, children kept in backyard shed

CNN) -- An 11-year-old California girl snatched from the street in front of her house in 1991 had two children with the man accused of taking her and lived in a secret backyard shed, authorities said Thursday...

______________________________ ______________________________ ____________________________

Kidnapped California girl found 18 years later | U.S. | Reuters

"None of the children had ever been to school, none had been to a doctor. They were kept in complete isolation in this compound," Kollar said...

A campus police officer found his interaction with the girls suspicious and investigated his background, ultimately alerting his parole officer.

(\__/)

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Is it just me or does this guy kind of look like Warren Jeffs ? (the former Fundamentalist LDS leader who was busted on rape and child molestation charges. At one time he was on the FBI's 10 most wanted list) They both seem to have that thousand yard stare and / or the deer caught in the headlights look about them. Maybe this Garrido guy was trying to be like Jeffs in his own mind. Nevertheless these two have a creepy look about them and need to be put in jail for the rest of their lives. Or whichever punishment of your choice that you deem is appropriate.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    This was posted on Yahoo News about an hour ago:

Kidnapped woman hidden in CA backyard for 18 years

AP – This family photo released by Carl Probyn on Thursday, Aug. 27, 2009, shows his stepdaughter, Jaycee …

By JULIET WILLIAMS and SAMANTHA YOUNG, Associated Press Writers Juliet Williams And Samantha Young, Associated Press Writers – 1 hr 3 mins ago

PLACERVILLE, Calif. – A little girl snatched on her way to school was kept hidden from the world behind a series of fences, sheds and tents for nearly two decades, even giving birth to her suspected abductor's children in the suburban backyard compound less than 200 miles from the home where she was taken.
    Jaycee Lee Dugard, who was 11 when she was abducted from a South Lake Tahoe street in 1991, was taken directly to the house and sheltered from the world in a secret, leafy backyard, investigators said Thursday.
    Her abductor, investigators said, raped her and fathered two children with her, the first when Jaycee was about 14. Those children, both girls now 11 and 15, also were kept hidden away in the backyard compound behind the Antioch home.
    "None of the children have ever been to school, they've never been to a doctor," El Dorado County Undersheriff Fred Kollar said. "They were kept in complete isolation in this compound."
    Even a parole agent who visited 58-year-old Phillip Garrido's home didn't have an inkling about the hidden compound, Kollar said. Garrido is a registered sex offender on federal parole for rape and kidnapping convictions.
    "The way the house is set up, the way the backyard is set up, you could walk through the backyard, walk through the house, and never know," Kollar said.
    But neighbors said there were clues even before a parole agent on Wednesday noticed Dugard, now 29, who accompanied Garrido, his wife and the children to a parole office.
    Neighbor Diane Doty said she could see the tents and often heard children playing in the backyard, the corner of which abuts her own backyard. She said she even suspected the children lived in the tents, but her husband said she should leave the family alone.
    "I asked my husband, 'Why is he living in tents?'" she said. "And he said, 'Maybe that is how they like to live.'"
    Garrido, 58, is being held for investigation of various kidnapping and sex charges. Authorities said his 54-year-old wife, Nancy Garrido, was with him during the kidnapping in South Lake Tahoe and she also has been arrested.
    The case broke after Garrido was spotted Tuesday with two children as he tried to enter the University of California, Berkeley, campus to hand out religious literature. Officers said he was acting suspiciously toward the children. They questioned him and did a background check, determined that he was a parolee and informed his parole officer.
    Garrido was ordered to appear for a parole meeting and arrived Wednesday with Dugard, who identified herself as "Allissa," his wife, and two children. During questioning, corrections officials said he admitted to kidnapping Dugard.
    Investigators said he did not yet have an attorney.
    Dugard was reunited Thursday with her mother as her family learned that their blue-eyed, blonde ponytailed little girl had spent most of her life in captivity. Police said they had no evidence that she had ever reached out to anyone beyond the compound walls.
    "She was in good health, but living in a backyard for the past 18 years does take its toll," Kollar said.
    The backyard compound had electricity from extension cords and a rudimentary outhouse and shower, "as if you were camping," Kollar said.
    Authorities said they do not know if Garrido also abused his daughters, but they are investigating.

Dugard's stepfather, who witnessed her abduction and was a longtime suspect in the case, said he was overwhelmed by the news after doing everything he could to help find her.
    "It broke my marriage up. I've gone through hell, I mean I'm a suspect up until yesterday," a tearful Carl Probyn, 60, told The Associated Press at his home in Orange, Calif.
    Garrido's compound was located in Antioch, a city of 100,000 about 170 miles from the Dugard family home in South Lake Tahoe.
    People who knew Garrido said he became increasingly fanatic about his religious beliefs in recent years, sometimes breaking out into song and claiming that God spoke to him through a box. "In the last couple years he started getting into this strange religious stuff. We kind of felt sorry for him," said Tim Allen, president of East County Glass and Window Inc. in Pittsburg, Calif., who bought business cards and letterhead from Garrido's printing business for the last decade.
    Three times in recent years, Garrido arrived at Allen's showroom with two "cute little blond girls" in tow, he said.
    In April 2008, Garrido registered a corporation called Gods Desire at his home address, according to the California Secretary of State. During recent visits to the showroom, Garrido would talk about quitting the printing business to preach full time and gave the impression he was setting up a church, Allen said.
    "He rambled. It made no sense," he said.
    In a blog that appears to have been maintained by Garrido, he wrote that he had hired a private investigator to verify his ability to speak to people using only his mind. In an "affadavit" posted there, he said he had the ability to "control sound with my mind and have developed a device for others to witness this phenomena."
    Garrido gave a rambling, sometimes incoherent phone interview to KCRA-TV from the El Dorado County jail Thursday in which he said he had not admitted to a kidnapping and that he had turned his life around since the birth of his first daughter 15 years ago.
    "I tell you here's the story of what took place at this house, and you're going to be absolutely impressed. It's a disgusting thing that took place from the end to the beginning. But I turned my life completely around," he said.
    In addition to kidnapping allegations, court records showed both Garridos were being held for investigation of rape by force, lewd and lascivious acts with a minor and kidnapping someone under 14 with intent to rape. Phillip Garrido also faces allegations of sexual penetration.
    The AP, as a matter of policy, avoids identifying victims of alleged sexual abuse by name in its news reports. However, Dugard's disappearance had been known and reported for nearly two decades, making impossible any effort to shield her identity now.
    Garrido has a long rap sheet dating back to the 1970s.
    He was convicted of kidnapping a 25-year-old woman whom he snatched from a South Lake Tahoe parking lot, handcuffed, tied down and held in a mini-warehouse in Reno, according to a November 1976 story in the Reno Gazette-Journal.
    He also has a conviction for rape by force or fear stemming from the same incident, and was paroled from a Nevada state prison in 1988, according to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
    In 1991, police believe he was trolling for victims in South Lake Tahoe in a Ford Granada when he snatched Dugard from a bus stop outside her home. The case attracted national attention and was featured on TV's "America's Most Wanted," which broadcast a composite drawing of a suspect seen in the car.
    Her stepfather said he saw someone reach out and grab her before the car sped away.
    "As soon as I saw the door fly open, the driver's door, I jumped on my mountain bike and I tried to get to the top of the hill but I had no energy," Probyn recalled. "I rode back down and yelled at my neighbor, 911!"
    Probyn said his wife, from whom he is separated, was devastated by the kidnapping. He said for 10 years after the crime, she would take a week off work at Christmas and on the anniversary of the abduction and spend the time crying at home.
    Jaycee Lee Dugard has retained custody of her children and was staying at a Bay area motel, authorities said.
    ___ Associated Press Writers Paul Elias and Terry Collins in San Francisco; Gillian Flaccus in Orange, Calif.; Brooke Donald in Antioch, Calif.; Don Thompson in Sacramento and Sandi Chereb in South Lake Tahoe, Calif., contributed to this report.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Like I said, this guy smacks of Warren Jeffs and Brian David Mitchell (the Elizabeth Smart case). Where do these perverted delusional idiots come up with this crap? Seems that this perversion is getting a little bit too common these days. Word to the wise. Don't put these three together in the same cell. It could be disastrous.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thumbs up This is great: EXCLUSIVE: Meet Cops Lisa Campbell and Ally Jacobs, Who Helped Nail Alleged Dugard Kidnapper

Good Job!!!!

Watch the full story tonight on "Nightline" at 11:35 p.m. ET

Berkeley Cop Who Busted Dugard Kidnapper Garrido - ABC News

EXCLUSIVE: Meet Cop Who Helped Nail Alleged Dugard Kidnapper

Strange Behavior of Phillip Garrido's Young Daughters Led Cop to Dig Deeper
    By ARASH GHADISHAH
    Aug. 28, 2009

ABC News' Lisa Ling, center, with University of California-Berkeley
    officers Lisa Campbell, left, and Ally Jacobs, right, who helped bust
    alleged Jaycee Dugard kidnapper Phillip Garrido.
    (ABC News)

In an exclusive interview with ABC News, University of California-Berkeley Police Officer Ally Jacobs recounted the stunning details of the bizarre encounter that led her to unwittingly crack the 18-year-long kidnapping case of Jaycee Dugard.

Jaycee Lee Dugard returns to family after being kidnapped 18 years ago.

Jacobs and Lisa Campbell, a UC-Berkeley staff member, met earlier this week with Phillip Garrido and the two young girls he is said to have fathered with Dugard. Little more than instinct led Jacobs to do the police work that freed Dugard from her alleged kidnapper of two decades.

On Monday, Garrido came to the police station in Berkeley's Sproul Hall to discuss a special event he wanted to hold on campus. He briefly met with a staff member who coordinates special events on campus. She asked him to return on Tuesday for an appointment.

Jacobs ran a criminal check on Garrido and found that he was on parole for rape. It was enough to make Jacobs decide to sit in on the meeting.

When Garrido arrived for his Tuesday appointment, he brought his two daughters, 15 and 11. The group gathered to discuss Garrido's request, but Jacobs' attention quickly turned to the two young girls.

The younger daughter, Jacobs said, sat and seemed relaxed, while the older one stood, "staring at him like he was a god." Both girls, Jacobs recalled, "had this weird look in their eyes like brainwashed zombies."

Concerned by Garrido's erratic behavior, Jacobs began to engage the girls. She asked the girls what grade they were in and they told Jacobs they were home-schooled. Jacobs asked the younger girl about a mark near her eye that initially appeared to be a bruise. The girl told Jacobs it was an inoperable birth defect.

Jacobs said on close inspection the mark did appear to be some kind of growth, but one that a doctor could have likely handled. Authorities announced Thursday that neither of the girls had ever been to a doctor.

Cop's Concern Leads to Phone Call

Jacobs continued questioning the girls, who had mentioned they had an older sister who was in her twenties -- a reference to their mother, Dugard. Jacobs asked the girls what they were doing with their daddy that day. Garrido then interjected, saying "I'm socializing them, showing them how it's done," according to Jacobs.

Jacobs pressed, asking Garrido "How what is done?"

"Interacting with people," Garrido said.

Jacobs found herself in a difficult position. She says she felt there was not enough evidence to get Child Protective Services to intervene. Jacobs shook Garrido's hand and he left the meeting. Both Campbell and Jacobs remained concerned about the young girls, so Jacobs decided to call Garrido's parole officer to discuss his daughters.

Jacobs said she was shocked to hear from the parole 0fficer that he believed Garrido had no daughters, and told Jacobs that he would investigate further. On Wednesday, Aug. 28, he called Jacobs back and told her Garrido was wanted for kidnapping.

Related

Cops Admit They Blew Chance to Rescue Jaycee Lee Dugard in 2006

Girl Found After 18 Years of Captivity

PHOTOS: Jayce Lee Dugard Photos

(\__/)

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Wow, awesome work!

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Just goes to show that the "instinct" that politicians and lawyers don't want us to pay any attention to does pay off.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Thread Information