Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Stranger slaps toddler in Wal-Mart

AP This undated booking photo provided Wednesday, Sept. 2, 2009 by the Gwinnett County Sheriff in Stone

AP

STONE MOUNTAIN, Ga. Police say a 61-year-old man annoyed with a crying 2-year-old girl at a suburban Atlanta Walmart slapped the child several times after warning the toddler's mother to keep her quiet.

A police report says after the stranger hit the girl at least four times, he said: "See, I told you I would shut her up."
    Roger Stephens of Stone Mountain is charged with felony cruelty to children. It was unclear if he had an attorney and a telephone call to his home Wednesday was unanswered.

Authorities say the girl and her mother were shopping Monday when the toddler began crying. The police report says Stephens approached the mother and said, "If you don't shut that baby up, I will shut her up for you."

Authorities say Stephens then grabbed the 2-year-old and slapped her. The child began screaming and Stephens was arrested. Police say an examination showed the girl's face was slightly red.

A call to the girl's mother, identified in the police report as Sonya Mathews of Grayson, was answered by a woman who identified herself as Sabrina Mathis, the victim's aunt.
    Mathis said Wednesday that the girl is doing fine.
    "As of today, she has really forgotten about it," Mathis said. "She's been playing."
    Mathis said the girl's mother was shaken up over the incident.
    "She's as well as to be expected," Mathis said. "Right now she's just trying to calm down."

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    What a nut case
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Holy crap!

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    hmmmmmm, let me think, oh ya, ASSHOLE who needs a beat down...............
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    That should have read: "The offender was booked in at the county jail after being relased from the hospital for various injuries."
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    If someone did that to my kid, I'd beat the hell out of them. Of course, chances of catching me in a Wal-Mart are slim to none.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    That should have read: "The offender was booked in at the county jail after being relased from the hospital for various injuries."

Amen. And I'd like to think the injuries would have come from several falls before the responding officers arrived, and then while being taken to the car.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    Amen. And I'd like to think the injuries would have come from several falls before the responding officers arrived, and then while being taken to the car.
    "No, really...he tripped over that parking curb, sir..."
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    "No, really...he tripped over that parking curb, sir..."
    If it would've been my kid he slapped, he probably would've been thrown through the back window of the first cruiser on scene. "What? Just puttin him in the back for ya buddy!"

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There is one thing that I can't stand and that is children going ape shit in public. Especially in resturants. Parents not handling their children chaps my ass. I was subject to spankings from extended family, teachers, and close friends of the family that I was entrusted to from time to time. However, if you are not given that charge you don't touch someone else's children. If I was shopping in Walmart and some stranger popped my kid I would be moonlighting as the tooth fairy.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Parents not handling their children chaps my ass. I was subject to spankings from extended family, teachers, and close friends of the family that I was entrusted to from time to time. However, if you are not given that charge you don't touch someone else's children.
    there ya go Five-0 - exactly what I was thinking - first off, the mom should've handled her business with the kiddo... but even if she's one of those tree loving "express your emotions" type of granola moms, the second he picked the kiddo up, mom should've been crawling all over him... mom should've handled her business with either the kid, or the grumpy old bastard...

and I say it with all the love in my heart - b/c if I can't handle my kid - some stranger off the street better NEVER think of trying to handle them for me... or I may just lose my mind on ya...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    If someone did that to my kid, I'd beat the hell out of them. Of course, chances of catching me in a Wal-Mart are slim to none.
    People of Walmart: a collection of all the creatures that grace us with their presence at Walmart, America's favorite store.

(Some of it might not be safe for work.)
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There is one thing that I can't stand and that is children going ape shit in public. Especially in resturants. Parents not handling their children chaps my ass. I was subject to spankings from extended family, teachers, and close friends of the family that I was entrusted to from time to time. However, if you are not given that charge you don't touch someone else's children. If I was shopping in Walmart and some stranger popped my kid I would be moonlighting as the tooth fairy.

+1

I totally agree. A kid should be handled in that situation. But a total stranger? Yeah....don't think so. That said, I have politely asked someone to regain control of their kid if it's extreme. But never to the point of threatening. If the guy didn't already have dentures, he'd be buying some Polygrip by the time he was done at that store.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Verified LEO
    Without having more information, it's hard to say whether or not Mom was trying to handle the situation. The article just says the kid began crying and then the guy went ballistic. So who knows.

But I agree. If my son so much as starts talking too loud, we have a chat. If the chat doesn't work, I'm not opposed to leaving my entire cart of groceries and taking him outside for a little spinal cord to brain reattachment. But, he also knows better (for the most part...he's still 2).
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    that guy just looks like an asshole. like hes angry all the time. what a dick.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    that guy just looks like an asshole. like hes angry all the time. what a dick.

This was also my initial thought here.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Hit my kid get a beat down, all is fare in love and war!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Verified LEO
    ok...so the question is, who honestly knocks this guys teeth out if he does this to your kid?

keep in mind the guy is 61 years old but looks like hes 75 in his mugshot.

for me (im 31, 6'2, 215 lbs)...if he was 85, and slapped my kid cause he was crying, i probably would yell at the old man, scare the piss out of him, and continue about my business. cause old guys live by their own rules, and i understand this. id chalk it up to the guy being a crazy old man, id verbally give him the hucklebuck, and move on. if the guy was 25, and did the same thing, it would be on no holds barred style. 61 is pretty borderline. it would really depend on what kind of shape he appeared to be in. if hes a struggling 61, with a walker, and a colostomy bag, hes probably just gonna get the business verbally, with a lot of pointing in his face and a "hey old man, dont you ever..." now, if hes an in shape 61, looks like he takes good care of himself, has decent size to him, appears younger, etc, maybe i do give him the 25 year old treatment. it would really depend on a lot of circumstances for me.

remember, this is wal-mart were talking about. every inch of that place is videotaped. if an old man simply slaps your kid and really doesnt hurt him but maybe startles him a little, and you knock out his teeth and puncture his lung for it, thats gonna look bad, and theres a good chance youre gonna be disciplined or possibly fired as an LEO for that. is it worth losing your job and turning your life upside down for a slap. again, its just a a question im posing. cause im not sure how id react to this. id be pissed. and there would definitely be fireworks, im just not sure to what extent for this particular situation with this particular suspect.

any thoughts?
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I see where you are coming from Tap. You are thinking about the situation rationally. Seeing anyone slap my daughter would not evoke a rational response from me. Now becoming the "tooth fairy" sounds good on an internet forum. I said it for effect. In reality, a joint lock to the ground and calmly explained coming to God meeting on the floor at the least. If he wants to go, a few shots to the solar plexus would talk him out of it. You can hit me for free if you are weaker, but I don't care who you are if you touch the little one. For what it's worth, I have made enough shoplifting arrests at my local Walmart to know where to be careful. I like my chances on the grocery side. Stay away from electronics and cosmetics/pharmacy.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    I see where you are coming from Tap. You are thinking about the situation rationally. Seeing anyone slap my daughter would not evoke a rational response from me. Now becoming the "tooth fairy" sounds good on an internet forum. I said it for effect. In reality, a joint lock to the ground and calmly explained coming to God meeting on the floor at the least. If he wants to go, a few shots to the solar plexus would talk him out of it. You can hit me for free if you are weaker, but I don't care who you are if you touch the little one. For what it's worth, I have made enough shoplifting arrests at my local Walmart to know where to be careful. I like my chances on the grocery side. Stay away from electronics and cosmetics/pharmacy.
    hey, i also see the other side, my boys are 3, and 18 months. although me whooping this dudes ass may not be a fair fight, neither is him vs my kid cause they are so young. so maybe he gets what he gives. i dont know. hopefully i never get put in this scenario.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information