Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    StanSwitek is offline Corporal

Arrest Warrant Sought for Rep. McKinney

By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer 36 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - U.S. Capitol Police on Monday asked a federal prosecutor to approve an arrest warrant for Rep. Cynthia McKinney after she tangled with a uniformed officer last week.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    click here

"We are working with Capitol Hill police to fully understand and appreciate the incident," principal assistant U.S. Attorney Channing Phillips told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Citing the ongoing investigation, Phillips declined to say whether the referral included a recommended charge against the six-term Democrat or when a warrant for her arrest might be issued.

In a statement, Capitol Police said it "has referred its investigative findings to the U.S. attorney." The department must acquire approval from U.S. Attorney Kenneth L. Wainstein before it can ask a judge to issue an arrest warrant on assault or other charges.

McKinney spokesman Coz Carson acknowledged the investigation.

"We're aware that the wheels are turning in Washington," Carson said. "We have no control over what they decide to do. We will make the appropriate statement and take the appropriate action once we know where they're going."

For her part, McKinney said she expects to represent her suburban Atlanta district for many years.

"Rest assured, I am doing the work they sent me to Washington to do. Nothing is going to keep me away from my responsibilities," McKinney told a crowd of supporters in Atlanta on Monday.

McKinney, 51, scuffled with a police officer on March 29 when she entered a House office building without her identifying lapel pin and did not stop when asked. Several police sources said the officer, who was not identified, asked her three times to stop. When she kept going, he placed a hand somewhere on her and she hit him, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

McKinney issued a statement of regret for the incident but no apology. At a press conference Friday, she and her lawyers declared that she was a victim of inappropriate touching and racism and said they were considering pursuing civil action against the officer.

Black clergy and lawmakers came to the defense of the firebrand congresswoman on Monday. McKinney smiled as her supporters heaped praise on her leadership and her new look her trademark cornrows replaced earlier this year by a curly brown afro.

Her supporters tried to minimize the incident which they called political, not criminal but they also suggested it was an example of racial profiling. They called publicity surrounding the episode a distraction that is being used by "her enemies" to keep the congresswoman from performing her elected duties.

The Rev. Reverend Darrell D. Elligan, president of Concerned Black Clergy, called McKinney competent, courageous and committed.

"She has our support unconditionally," Elligan said. "She is not a threat to the security of our country."

Terminator is offline BANNED

Unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Switek
    McKinney issued a statement of regret for the incident but no apology. At a press conference Friday, she and her lawyers declared that she was a victim of inappropriate touching and racism and said they were considering pursuing civil action against the officer.

Black clergy and lawmakers came to the defense of the firebrand congresswoman on Monday. McKinney smiled as her supporters heaped praise on her leadership and her new look — her trademark cornrows replaced earlier this year by a curly brown afro.

Her supporters tried to minimize the incident — which they called political, not criminal — but they also suggested it was an example of racial profiling.
    The Rev. Reverend Darrell D. Elligan, president of Concerned Black Clergy, called McKinney competent, courageous and committed.

So she refused to take responsibility for her actions, and then pulls the race card.

It's obvious she thinks she was in the right, and the officer is wrong, as she is contemplating legal action against the officer, and never apologized. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I hope the arrest warrant goes through, and she gets her ass beat a few times in jail. Battery on an LEO is a felony here, always gets at least a bit of jail time.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Switek

This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcementForums
    So she refused to take responsibility for her actions, and then pulls the race card.
    Would you expect anything else from her or her supporters??

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Well that will get Irreverand Jessie Jackass fired up. (As if he needs anything to light his fire.)
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

me again is offline Is it pronounced whore, ho or whoooaaa?
    This is in the public forum, so I will not comment.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I'd like to see this idiot scream and rant if the police err'd the other way and let a terrorist thorugh that blew up her damn office - Some of them are black too, like the one that's on trial now

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    survey says!

Her hair looks like a wig made out of dyed tree moss - she probably shoulda left it like it was.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 04-04-06 at 12:40 AM.

(\__/)

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    My father was a police officer. After the tragedies on September 11th, recognizing the strain that we all were under, I wrote a letter to Sergeant-at-Arms Livingood reminding him that police officers were operating under great stress while working long hours. I asked that they be allowed to use their cell phones to contact their families to know that they were alright. No one else did this. But I did. I will not let this or any other incident dampen my resolve to support those whose work is vital and supports us. It is, however, a shame that while I conduct the country's business, I have to stop and call the police to tell them that I've changed my hairstyle so that I'm not harassed at work.
    This is from her original statement. I didn't realize her father was a LEO. This makes me even more disgusted with her.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    What if she took a pro-active approach to the problem, wore the stinkin pin that identifies her as a member of Congress and maybe, as she walks up to and past the check point if she smiled, waved and even addressed the officers by name (ie: hi Ofc. Miller!) this would not be a problem!!!!

If she stopped being a friggin tool she could have a much more pleasant experience. I would seem that her goal is to be a BLACK American and not an American. If she was really that concerned about doing the countries business she would be more concerned about being the latter when Congress is in session. She can practice all the racist crap she wants on her own time!!
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

FishTail Guest
    so that I'm not harassed at work.
    I think that speaks volumes about her attitude. Any interaction between police and citizens is "harassment". Police don't talk to people for good, sound reasons...police just "harass" people. Give me a God damned break.

As for this being racially motivated...please! I'm sure the cop was stood there all day letting tons of good ole white boys breeze past him without ID and was just waiting for a black dude to "harass". Even better that she was a woman too! Hoo-boy! Jackpot!

Yeah, right. She really needs to quit whining and realise that it was her own fault. No ID and refusing to stop will generally attract the attention of the police. That's not harassment, that's good police work. She needs to stop being a God damned victim. Because she isn't.

NavLaw is offline Officer First Class
    I bet they would raise hell if security made all of them go thru screening. If an officer says stop, you had better stop. what part of that dosn't she understand? Racial my butt. She just sounds like she thinks she is above everyone else. In some countrys she would have been shot. (hmmmmm)
    If you can't do it from a boat. Do you really want to do it?

Yeah, right.

Statement of Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney
    on Capitol Hill Incident
    March 29, 2006

(Washington, DC) - To the Members of the Capitol Hill Police:

Earlier today I had an unfortunate confrontation with a Capitol Hill Police Officer. It is traditional protocol that Capitol Hill Police Officers secure 535 Members of Congress, including 100 Senators. It is the expectation of most Members of Congress that Capitol Hill Police officers know who they are. I was urgently trying to get to an important meeting on time to fulfill my obligations to my constituents. Unfortunately, the Police Officer did not recognize me as a Member of Congress and a confrontation ensued. I did not have on my Congressional pin but showed the Police Officer my Congressional ID.

I know that Capitol Hill Police are securing our safety, that of
    thousands of others, and I appreciate the work that they do. I deeply regret that the incident occurred. I have demonstrated my support for them in the past and I continue to support them now.

What kind of rinky-dink security operation would depend on guards' memories to positively recognize 535 VIP's?

Common sense (which she has none of) would say that if the police relied on their memories, many people could pass thru who resemble a VIP, or vice versa, if that were the basis of their security checks.

She's more of a dumbshit than I thought, and if the Capitol Police are letting any people through just on the basis of visual recognition, then they're dumbshits too, after what 9/11 taught us.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 04-04-06 at 02:53 PM.

(\__/)

Magnum440 is offline Older Than Dirt
    Verified LEO
    I realize there may be some members of our congress who may have some brain, but a lot of them forget who their employer is, and who hired them. You would think they are entitled to the position. They make their own rules. Oh well,,,,we still have the vote.
    Facta non verba
    "The good Lord set definite limits on man's wisdom, but set no limits on his stupidity and that's not fair!" Konrad Adenauer,

Prometheus is offline Senior Member
    I have a great solution to this problem. Stop screening anyone who enters buildings on Capitol Hill. Remove ALL security.

Unless someone here thinks that the loss of a few dozen politicians is something we can't afford?
    "Look, just give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Remove ALL security... Unless someone here thinks that the loss of a few dozen politicians is something we can't afford?
    You have a valid point there

One thing's for sure, she's revealed a gaping security hole in Washington - That Bush impersonator guy on Jay Leno may have full access to the Oval Office and not even know it, if they go on visual recognition alone over there too.

At least they should have to swipe their badge across a badge reader. Let's hope the Pentagon has better security in place to guard against Donald Rumsfeld look-alikes.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 04-04-06 at 07:21 PM.

(\__/)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information