Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Mom panhandles for son's tuition money

Wash. mom begs for son's tuition money

Shelle Curley begs at a Bellevue freeway off-ramp for money to pay for her son's tuition at a prestigious dance school.

Story Updated: Sep 7, 2009 at 4:31 PM MDT

By Theron Zahn 2news.tv

BELLEVUE, Wash. - A mother's love knows no end. Now one single mom on the east side is going to extremes - so her son can follow his dream.

People driving through Bellevue may see her on the streets - begging on freeway ramps for money to pay her son's tuition at a prestigious dance school.

For D.J. Strong it's the chance of a lifetime. His dance teacher is amazed at his talent after just a year in the studio.

"He has captured all the technique and all of the charisma," says Carolyn Farrar of the Premiere Dance Center.

Seventeen-year-old Strong recently got accepted to one of the most prestigious dance schools in the country.

"I cried. I was shaking," says his mother, Shelle Curley.

She wasn't about to let her son's big break slip away. But even after a $45,000 scholarship, the unemployed single mom was thousands of dollars short.

"We'd do whatever it took to get him there," she says.

That's why she's begging on a freeway off-ramp in Bellevue.

"Tuition help needed," she says to motorists who drive by. "Donate a few dollars. Help a boy live his dreams. ... Help a young man go to college."

"It doesn't make sense to me not to do it," she told KOMO News. "It should be automatic. You should go to the ends of the earth for your children."

But getting a profitable spot can be tough.

"And the one corner you have to fight for," she says. "So I've been in several verbal altercations with some of the people up there fighting for that spot."

Curley says she has made up to $45 an hour on one off-ramp.

Her son says he doesn't like seeing his mom out in the rain in just flip-flops.

"I feel pretty nervous when she does that," D.J. says.

But he knows why she's there.

"It shows me that she really loves me a lot and really believes in me, and will do anything like beg on the side of a freeway," he says.

A mom giving her son a future ... a few dollars at a time.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Oh man, that kid better be pulling double shifts at McD's or something if his mom's doing that. Any job would do!
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    Oh man, that kid better be pulling double shifts at McD's or something if his mom's doing that. Any job would do!
    I was thinking the same thing. I also wonder how her job search is going if she's panhandling and getting tax-free money all day. And I wonder if the son has tried to get need-based student loans.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A lot easier and safer to apply for grants.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    A lot easier and safer to apply for grants.
    You know, you're right.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    A local paper recently interviewed a ton of pan handlers, watched them for multiple days, interviewed people who give to them, etc.

Those suckers can make BANK. Some of them (around here anyway) get around $200.00 every day they go pan handling. It's all in technique and appearance apparently.

That, or it's just another case of "Minnesota Nice"
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Dirk is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    That, or it's just another case of "Minnesota Nice"

No such thing. People from Minnesota are yankee assholes.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Normally I'd say wonderful, great, this kid can go on to be a doc or cure cancer or something, but this is a dance college. Huh?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Her son should audition for American Idol--if he wins he'll have enough money to pay for dance school, and if not he might realize that dancing isn't for him and save a lot of time and money!

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think actually panhandling is unnecessary. If you're homeless and unqualified, fine. If you're a laid off member of a blue or white collar work force, you're qualified or over-qualified for plenty of things. The world needs plenty of fry cooks...she just doesn't want to be one. Why make minimum wage when you can suckle off the teat of guilty people on the off ramp and make three times as much?
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Where is this kid going to? Julliard? Never heard of this other place that they claim he is going to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Her son should audition for American Idol--if he wins he'll have enough money to pay for dance school, and if not he might realize that dancing isn't for him and save a lot of time and money!
    American Idol is for singing, but I get the gist of what you are saying here, Jenna. I believe the correct program that he should be auditioning for is "So You Think You Can Dance"

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information