Welcome to the APBWeb.
    pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Question Firefighters promote Gangs?

Picture at link

Sonoma family's 9/11 observance stirs controversy | PressDemocrat.com | The Press Democrat | Santa Rosa, CA

Sonoma family's 9/11 observance stirs controversy

By MARY CALLAHAN
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Published: Friday, September 18, 2009 at 6:18 p.m.
    Last Modified: Friday, September 18, 2009 at 6:18 p.m.
    The Martin family of Sonoma finds itself pulled in two directions.

Click to enlarge
    Dean Martin, 11, a 7th-grader at Adele Harris Middle School in Sonoma was sent home on Sept. 11 after wearing a firefighters' T-shirt to honor rescue workers who died in the terrorist attacks. School officials said the blue shirt violated the anti-gang dress code. His father, Vallejo firefighter Dennis Martin, defended the youth's stand.

KTVU
    With two sons in local middle and high schools, they’re eager to support school officials’ efforts to establish rules and keep students safe.

But they’re unrelentingly displeased with a decision last week saying their middle-school son’s bid to honor the fallen firefighters of 9/11 by wearing a Vallejo Fire Department T-shirt ran afoul of the school’s dress code prohibiting gang colors. The boy was sent home when he would not change the shirt.

Continuing news coverage of the episode and “a lot of mixed response” from the community has forced them to try to maintain a thick skin, said Karin Martin, the boy’s mother.

But Martin and her husband, 14-year Vallejo firefighter Dennis Martin, aren’t backing down from their support of son Dean, a seventh-grader at Adele Harrison Middle School.

They dispute that the navy blue shirt with large red and white lettering on the back and a white insignia on the front constitutes the kind of “solid blue” shirt prohibited by school rules.

Dennis Martin also said the dress code should be enforced with some discretion, taking into account the sensitivities of the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks

“We have the utmost respect for the schools and the school district,” he said. “They have a hard job. But our son believed in this, and we backed him.”

Adele Harrison Principal Karla Conroy said the school was just enforcing the dress code as effectively and fairly as possible.

Rules regarding colors and symbols traditionally affiliated with gangs are designed not only to forestall violence but any intimidation students might feel, she said.

Periodically, someone forgets and is sent to the office to change into one of the extra T-shirts Conroy buys and keeps on hand for such occasions.

Even with the lettering, anyone looking at Dean’s fire shirt would recognize it as a blue T-shirt, Conroy said.

“Do we ask one kid not to wear red and blue but another kid can?” she asked.

Conroy also said the policy was new last fall when Sept. 11, 2008 rolled around, and officials decided to make exceptions on red and blue shirts so students could pay tribute.

But some students abused the opportunity at two other Sonoma Valley Unified schools where school personnel observed what they believed was gang-related posturing, Conroy said.

So no exceptions were made this year, and though four Adele Harrison students turned up in blue, “three of them said, ‘Oh, I just forgot,’ and they changed the shirt,” Conroy said.

Dean Martin, meanwhile, says the whole thing is just disappointing and sad.

“It was kind of mean, because it was a fire shirt and I was honoring the fallen firefighters,” he said.

The 11-year-old may have firefighting in his blood.

His father, maternal grandfather and uncle are all firefighters, as was his paternal grandfather, now deceased.

His brother, Drake, 16, is a firefighter Explorer with the Schell-Vista Fire Department.

Dean says he wants to be a firefighter, too.

He attended St. Francis Solano School for most of grade school, each year attending Sept. 11 memorial services at which his father twice was guest speaker.

On Sept. 11, before school, he and his mother watched what they could of a televised memorial service honoring those who perished that day. After taking a shower, Dean Martin told his mother he was going to wear his dad’s Vallejo Fire T-shirt to school as a tribute, and she assented without thinking of the dress code.

But when Dean Martin got to school, he was quickly pulled aside and told he needed to wear something else. He was offered one of the extra shirts or even his gym shirt, Conroy said.

But the boy refused and his mother suggested he ride his bike home, then told him he could stay home for the day.

“It made me sad that Dean was just trying to do something nice that day for remembering 9/11 and for firemen and everyone who was lost, and he had to come home because he couldn’t do it anymore,” she says now. “It just didn’t feel right to me. It seems like someone took away someone’s right.

“But rules are rules, and we have to abide by them, so he came home,” Karin Martin said.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    This state (California) is getting more and more retarded by the day. Word of Warning: School Administrators, like the Media are mostly liberal so go figure.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    That's sick. Society has truly lost its minds.
    Arm the sheep!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    a Vallejo Fire Department T-shirt ran afoul of the school’s dress code prohibiting gang colors.

Someone please explain to me what a "gang color" is.

Which one is it - red, black, or white? Or could it be any saturated color?... Are pastels the only colors allowed?

Good for the kid - Apparently, he knows BS when he hears it!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Someone please explain to me what a "gang color" is.

Which one is it - red, black, or white? Or could it be any color
    I don't know about you, but next time I go to a school I'm going naked so I don't get in trouble with any gangs

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

I don't know about you, but next time I go to a school I'm going naked so I don't get in trouble with any gangs
    I wonder if that's properly covered in the dress code? - It is a pastel color, after all

(\__/)

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    I wonder if that's properly covered in the dress code? - It is a pastel color, after all
    you are forgetting about tan lines, scars, I even have a bad burn scar on my gut.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinki View Post
    That's sick. Society has truly lost its minds.

I think that about sums it up. Common sense is not very common these days.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I think that about sums it up. Common sense is not very common these days.
    ......nor is it sensible among some people.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

JeffW is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Not surprised. The idiots running schools these days are complete morons. My first grade grandson who was playing Star Wars with another first grader during lunch was made to "walk lines" what ever that is. Sounds to me like it is some form of corporal punishment. Quite frankly I happen to know that was not have any blasters or phasers or whatever that are called.

Remember this one?

Knife At Lunch Gets 10-Year-Old Girl Arrested At School - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Knife At Lunch Gets 10-Year-Old Girl Arrested At School
    Posted: 5:41 pm EST December 14, 2007
    Updated: 6:13 pm EST December 19, 2007

OCALA, Fla. -- A 10-year old Ocala girl brought her lunch to school and a small kitchen knife to cut it. She now faces a felony charge after being arrested. The school and the sheriff's office disagree on the reason for the arrest.

School officials say the 5th grader was brown-bagging it. She brought a piece of steak for her lunch, but she also brought a steak knife. That's when deputies were called.

It happened in the cafeteria at Sunrise Elementary School. The 10-year-old used the knife to cut the meat.

"She did not use it inappropriately. She did not threaten anyone with it. She didn't pull it out and brandish it. Nothing of that nature," explained Marion County School Spokesman Kevin Christian.

But a couple of teachers took the utensil and called the sheriff. When deputies arrived, they were unable to get the child's parents on the phone, so they arrested her and took her to the county's juvenile assessment center.

(\__/)

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO

They dispute that the navy blue shirt with large red and white lettering on the back and a white insignia on the front constitutes the kind of “solid blue” shirt prohibited by school rules.
    so now a kid cant wear red white and blue? the colors of our flag?
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I have a hard time believing that any school that's using "gang problems" as a means to press this issue actually has a "gang problem" of any kind.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    so now a kid cant wear red white and blue? the colors of our flag?

bet if ya get a big ass Mexican flag T-shirt and don it you wouldn't have one lick of trouble come your way...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Remember when being a kid was fun and life was uncomplicated?

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    Remember when being a kid was fun and life was uncomplicated?
    It gets complicated? Damn, when does that happen?!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    My first grade grandson who was playing Star Wars with another first grader during lunch was made to "walk lines" what ever that is.
    Walking lines isn't bad. I lapped the gym while following the basketball court lines during lunch many a time (our gym was our lunchroom). It was a lot better than beating the blackboard erasers! Though I think blackboards should be brought back cut down on wasteful tech spending and restore that punishment tool.

Speaking of long ago, if a knife leads to arrest now, and we not only had pocketknives (gum was banned, pocketknives were fine), but left our pickups unlocked with guns in the racks in my day...well, TXCharlie, what sort of armament did you take to school?

I just don't get how things have changed so drastically in such a short span of time. It's worrisome.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    The rule makes sense. And similar rules are found in schools with major gang problems. Limiting some forms of flagging does deter some of the potential issues during school hours. (Note that I said deter, not prevent. Bangers will find a way to flag -- even if it comes down to a brand of shoe or how they tie a tie...)

The enforcement in this situation does not. The t-shirt was clearly not at all tied to the gang, and was directly related to the memorial that day. If the school is going to be this strict about it -- are the teachers prohibited from wearing blue suits, too?
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post

The enforcement in this situation does not. The t-shirt was clearly not at all tied to the gang, and was directly related to the memorial that day. If the school is going to be this strict about it -- are the teachers prohibited from wearing blue suits, too?
    Great Idea! Make the teachers and the administrators abide by the same dress code. After all, aren't they supposed to be setting the example, right?

Not a LEO

ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there
    Maybe the administrators were afraid of promoting unlicensed barcaloungers and unauthorized chili recipes.
    Verified Libra- There sure are a lot of people born in August around here.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you.

Thread Information