Results 1 to 5 of 5
04-04-06, 12:58 PM #1Older Than DirtVerified LEO
- Join Date
- Rep Power
Everybody had a hero in their life. Mine was my father, a LEO for 25 years, Chief of his department the last twelve. I joined another department when old enough. Growing up, I guess we all have received guidance in one way or another from somebody. My father was not a demanding person, but someone who was rigid when it came to some things. He didn't talk much, but had little sayings he passed on to me. Tried my best to live up to them. Some of the tips were given in my growing years, others after I became a LEO. Bet everybody had somebody similar.
1. Say what your mother says, do what your father says do.
2. When you grow up, the next man you meet will be as mean as you allow him to be.
3. Don't start a fight, but always finish it.
4. The man who is most afraid of getting hurt, will usually lost a fight.
5. If you have to fight, fight as if your life depended on it. It may.
6. If you tell someone you will do something, do it.
7. Take up for the weak when they are being picked on.
8. No such thing as a sucker punch.
9. When you shake a man's hand on a deal, the deal is done.
10. If you tell the truth, you won't have to remember what you said.
1. If you draw your weapon, use it.
2. You have a uniform, a gun on your hip, and a badge on your chest. True authority comes from your voice.
3. Police work is 90% bluff. Be ready to back up the other 10%.
4. Use the common sense God gave you.Facta non verba
"The good Lord set definite limits on man's wisdom, but set no limits on his stupidity — and that's not fair!" — Konrad Adenauer,
04-04-06, 01:07 PM #2
Sounds like pretty sound advice to me.No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13
"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".
We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.
04-04-06, 03:19 PM #3
Looked up to my Dad, I never understood some of the things he would scold and whip my backside for. That is until he died and had to think things through on my own without him there for advice.
Magnum440, your Dad has given you some great advice."This flag, which we honor and under which we serve, is the emblem of our unity, our power, our thought and purpose as a nation. It has no other character than that which we give it from generation to generation." Woodrow Wilson, 1917
04-04-06, 03:25 PM #4Originally Posted by 26Trainer
I miss my Dad everyday. He died in 1998, but I'm always thinking of things I wish I could call him and talk to him about. I believe I have that same relationship with my daughters. Both are in their 30's, but they call me all the time just to tell me some experience they just had.When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)
"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-
04-04-06, 03:42 PM #5
I love my dad, he is absolutely my hero, and luckily he's still here with me. I can not imagine my growing years, or now without him.
Other than my Dad I have an awesome person whos been a mentor in my life. I met him through our sheriffs department, a deputy there, our friendship slowly grew as I would assist him with his DARE program. As of now he isn't with the department anymore, 2 years ago, he suffered a brain bleed/seizure/stroke, that left his mental capabilities and his physical capabilities not as sharp as what being an LEO calls for. Also shortly after that, his wife left in a horrible, gruesome mess. Now he can't see his kids, been to jail (for "supposed" PPO violation, long story), lost his job, his house, his once known life, but damn to this day he is still loving ever second of life. He helped me find my love for LE, as before I was headed in a different direction, and has just been that person there for me whenever, wherever. I have his DARE picture in my wallet and in my car as a reminder that when life shits on you to stand up and take it and smile on.
Magnum, that is some awesome advice your Dad gave you. So true.
Last edited by Autumn2009; 04-04-06 at 03:45 PM.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)